• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will the West Indies ever rise again?

We've just won an u19 world cup which produced the likes of Joseph and Hetmyer. And now a new bunch has just beaten South Africa away in a series. Maybe, just maybe, the penny is starting to drop and we might be on the verge of producing a few decent players for the future.
Domestic structure of recent is pretty good also. My worry however is the Indian Premiere League continuous interference with WI player development.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whats your definition of a proper pitch? Mines may differ from yours, anything but flat is proper.
Most pitches are fair game in Tests imo but across your domestic structure you ideally need some variance. From what I've read and heard from some guys on here, the wickets being used atm are ridiculously spin friendly. Batmsen aren't learning how to bat long and mediocre spinners are bowling more than the main quicks.

Is this still the case? No clue tbh.

We've just won an u19 world cup which produced the likes of Joseph and Hetmyer. And now a new bunch has just beaten South Africa away in a series. Maybe, just maybe, the penny is starting to drop and we might be on the verge of producing a few decent players for the future.
Don't think there's a dearth of talent at that level even in the recent past. Bravo, Brathwaite, Barath, Edwards etc all looked good initially. Something's missing which doesn't let them bring their game up to another level imo.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think there's a dearth of talent at that level even in the recent past. Bravo, Brathwaite, Barath, Edwards etc all looked good initially. Something's missing which doesn't let them bring their game up to another level imo.
Brathwaite seems a harsh target there IMO. He's developing fine. Bravo's still a good player although probably hasn't developed as well as the WIndies have hoped.

Not sure how much hype there was re: Edwards either.

Most pitches are fair game in Tests imo but across your domestic structure you ideally need some variance. From what I've read and heard from some guys on here, the wickets being used atm are ridiculously spin friendly. Batmsen aren't learning how to bat long and mediocre spinners are bowling more than the main quicks.

Cant speak if the Domestic structure pitch much. What Ive seem from the last ODI series and the Pak test series those pitches had a great balance between bat and ball. Hassan Ali the Pak fast bowler did amazingly well in the ODI and T20 series.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

I'd say so. Nikita Miller has a career average of 16.5 and he and Permaul topped the wicket charts in the last season, yet they are not even close to being international class spinners. The top five were all spinners and there were only three pace bowlers in the top ten. Yasir Shah cleaned up during the test series at Kingston and Bridgetown which used to the fast bowler's venues.

Although several batsmen had season averages over 40 hardly anyone has a career average over 30. And despite the prevalence of spinners with good figures in the domestic comp the test team are generally poor at playing spin. It seems that batsmen simply can't develop in the conditions while mediocre spinners clean up.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
As a WI fan since I was a baby sadly I dont see any hope. They have been declining since 1992. I see more hope in BD and AFG than Windies. IN BD they all cricket mad like India/pak and 170 million the players are superstars, Plenty of financial investments and sponsorship. Dont see Ireland doing much either. Zimbabwe unsure they did decent in SL.
You trashed the hell out of BD during the Champions Trophy though

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just want to know what you people did to Jerome Taylor and Fidel Edwards :ranting:
Edwards hasn't been good enough for years, although his having some success in county cricket probably says something about the lack of serious pace in England.

Taylor's unretired from tests, but he's 33, not actually that good, and the board will be loath to pick him considering past conflicts.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Westindies over the last 15 years have had some very promising fast bowlers like Dillion,Rose,Cuffy, Collins,Collymore,Edward,Tayloy, Roach who for one reason or another could not reach the next level like the 70-90 generation.