• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vettori: Young spinners should expore relaxed rulings

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
I know how it's bowled - I'm not capable of doing it myself, but I know how it's done.
I'd like to hear why some mechanism of the wrist can force the elbow to flex.
If you know how it is bowled then you would also know that while bowling this delivery the palm faces the bowler or the direction away from the batsman and the back of the hand faces the batsman.

When you extend your arm straight above your head with the palm facing as i just mentioned, you will have your elbow facing the same side as the palm. I hope you are with me so far.

Now try relesing this ball with a straight arm(without flexing the elbow backwards towards yourself and then straightening out towards the batsman). You will find it impossible to get any kind of real momentum on it and next to no work possible on the ball with your fingers. The only way to do that is to provide the omentum by using your elbow as the fulcrum (as against the shoulder in a normal delivery).

I have thought about why that is so. And the only reason I can think of is as under.

In the normal delivery, the arm comes down in a sweep starting much before the arm becomes vertical at the time of delivery and then that motion continues in the follow through. I suspect that because of the way the arm is turned inwards just before delivery, their is a 'check' to the arm swing till that point and then as the arm is twisted inwards its almost a new swing for the arm starting from just before delivery.

This leaves virtually none of the earlier momentum on the ball and fresh impetus has to be provided to propel the ball forward.

Trying to do it just from the wrist would mean using a lever of about five inches which wouldnt provide adequate momentum. On top of that the wrist is also being used, simultaneously, to work on spinning the ball. A longer lever of say 15 inches is provided by using the elbow as the fulcrum.

This provides sufficient energy to the ball as well as the possibility to direct it accurately.

You can go to nets tomorrow and try out what I say and you will have a better idea of what i am saying.

C_C

International Captain
Richard said:
I can think of several bowlers who do use the ****ed-wrist tactic and don't damage their forearm-tendons, aside from those you named.
Oh i can name several bowlers too who use ****ed-wrists tactics. But none of them keep their elbow flexion down as much as the non-****ed wrist guys.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shaun Pollock? Allan Donald? Glenn McGrath?
Sure, some (Flintoff, Lee) extend more than the non-****ed-wrist guys, but not all.
Indeed, I'm never sure whether it's hyper-extension or not with Lee.