• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Destructive Batsman in Onedayer!

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Aha....I'm finally found a few names of which started all this smashing around.
Currently here in the 1st class cricket scene in Oman people just go out and blast the pace bowlers all over the place and end up scoring at around 8 Runs per over for the innings.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
You left out a few Aussies there what about mat hayden Ricky Ponting and d.martin they all have stk rates almost 80 and can be brilliant on there day gilly is not the only one.
Agreed. They should have been listed, although is Damien Martyn such a big hitter of the ball?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Gotchya
Just looking back, I still remember how confused and bewildered i was then at the sight of Greatbatch playing with such abandon. We were used to seing batsmen consolidating and ploding away, such a big change that he made with his strategy, and perhaps the surprise element worked largely for NZ who were very succesful in that tournament.
Those days the rule was that a team would try to score anything above 40 in the first ten overs...and that used to be considered a good start.The slogging used to happen at the end, but not much used to come out of that either....like 60 runs off the last ten overs was thought to be pretty good.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah and 225 was a pretty good score.

That's why earlier generations call ODIs pyjama cricket or slam bang cricket etc. takes a while to understand that people can play high quality cricket and come up with scores of 300.

Sunny once scored 36*... did you want to hear that again... and he scored it 'cos he thought the match was a lost cause.

In some time we'll see the odd 400+ score.
And more teams will chase 300. That's what the stars tell me. Eddie?

Eclipse

International Debutant
yes anilramavarma D. Martyn can be a very good striker of the ball when hes in form.

He made a name for him self when he was younger for hitting the quick bowlers over cover for six he used to do it all the time. Now days hes not quite that aggressive but he can still hit the ball along way when hes batting well.

Did any one see the six he hit of Azah Mahmood in the indoor series? that was one of the bset shots I have ever seen.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
This is an interesting topic, playing over the top of in fielders has been done at many different stages, GreatBatch was an obvious one, Srikanth and Shahstri were doing it as early as mid 80s, Asif Iqbal used to do it even in test matches and all stages of ODI. Dean Jones also used to hit a lot of lofted shots ove the infield. But I think the sriLankans, and in particular Kalu/Jayasuria (as has been mentioned already) have re-defined the batting aspect of cricket in ODI after the 96 WC, the runs scored, runs of the first 15 overs etc have all changed since then I think.

BTW, Sunny scored his 36 not out, off 60 overs!!

[Edited on 4/10/2002 by royGilchrist]

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Here is an interesting statistic, Most number of sixes in a career :

ST Jayasuriya 167
Shahid Afridi 154
SR Tendulkar 130
SC Ganguly 128
IVA Richards 125
Wasim Akram 113
CL Cairns 107
Inzamam-ul-Haq 105
Saeed Anwar 97
PA de Silva 96

How many of them are Muscles ?

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Originally posted by Gotchya
Here is an interesting statistic, Most number of sixes in a career :

ST Jayasuriya 167
Shahid Afridi 154
SR Tendulkar 130
SC Ganguly 128
IVA Richards 125
Wasim Akram 113
CL Cairns 107
Inzamam-ul-Haq 105
Saeed Anwar 97
PA de Silva 96

How many of them are Muscles ?
Where's the stats from?

I'm surprised Afridi has more than Sachin.

Four or so years back, I dont think there was any official stats on this; I read an article then about a West Indian who kept record of the sixes scored. He had Sachin at the top. I think it appeared in Sportstar.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hehehe, if you've ever seen Afridi bat then I doubt you would be so suprised! It used to be just scoring quickly...now its 6 or out with him! Also he's played so many games for a 21 year old its not suprising hes 2nd

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well Afridi's 12 into the Millennium Stadium roof is a prime example - and his rampage against Holland in the CT.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
thats quite funny because apart from Sir Viv, Cairns & 1 or 2 others the rest are all short-arsses & look the most unlikely of batsmen to smash a six.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Tim, its not all muscles......:duh: that willow, they might know how to make mximum use of it.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Hehehe, if you've ever seen Afridi bat then I doubt you would be so suprised! It used to be just scoring quickly...now its 6 or out with him! Also he's played so many games for a 21 year old its not suprising hes 2nd
Is his really only 21? He definitely looks much older. Yes, that is the reason for his mediocre average(6 or out).

[Edited on 10/7/2002 by anilramavarma]

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
err.. I have seen Afridi bat plenty of times. I even happen to have had the misfortune of paying to see him score a test century :(
However:
1) Sachin is a very attacking batsman, and hits a lot of sixes. Before his back injury, a Sachin innings that crossed 30 or 40 was sure to have atleast a six or two in it. Both he and Azhar always had a straight six in any reasonably long innings!

2)He's been around longer than Afridi. I am not going to bother with the stats.

3) that thing you said about the 6 or out implies that Afridi's not going to be around a lot in the crease.

put 1 2 and 3 together ;)

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah. I was surprised by that. In case you missed it, someone said I shouldn't have been. It is creditable that Afridi has more sixes than Sachin for the very reasons above..

I would be interested in hearing about the splitup of Sachin's sixers.
I should think that they decreased in frequency after he cut out several strokes post-back problem.

Afridi does look older than his age suggests. The gap was much more visible when he said he was 17. I think Geoff Boycott came up with the comment "if he's 17 I'm 25!" on air.

But one can at best guess about this, I'm afraid. I'm sure everyone's seen people who are well built and older-looking for their age.

he he just reminded of Parthiv Patel :) That guy looks young for a 17 year old.