• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's Make Fun of Srinath!!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
adharcric said:
Honestly, I don't really hate Srinath or anything. I was trying to clear the main thread of the Srinath-obsessed talk by making this thread. He is rather annoying and can't help but make a mistake every 2 minutes (Kevin Pietersen = Peter Kirsten, Blackwell = Black = Bell, Harmison = Hoggard, etc). He does have some good ideas, but I'm sure there are plenty more who have good ideas AND can present a cricket match well to millions across the world.
LMAO @ Blackwell = Black = Bell :lol:

He may become a commentary icon if he accidentally screws up players' names in humorous ways. I mean how can one not see the irony of Peter Kirsten? :D

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
alternative said:
Nothing beats Waqar's "Axellent" everytime i hear that i just can't stop laughing.. :laugh:
Who can forget...

"It was short, wide and said hit me...so he hit him." (now if only i could add a Waqar voice over to the post) :laugh:

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
adharcric said:
Honestly, I don't really hate Srinath or anything. I was trying to clear the main thread of the Srinath-obsessed talk by making this thread. He is rather annoying and can't help but make a mistake every 2 minutes (Kevin Pietersen = Peter Kirsten, Blackwell = Black = Bell, Harmison = Hoggard, etc). He does have some good ideas, but I'm sure there are plenty more who have good ideas AND can present a cricket match well to millions across the world.

The first time he got into the commentary box on Day 1, he was introduced by I think Botham and for the first few seconds Srinath didn't say a word and I thought "Holy **** he is choking here, first time ever seen a commentator choke and not say a word..wow" but then he slowly picked up. He makes mistakes but i still like him over Arun Lal.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
He may become a commentary icon if he accidentally screws up players' names in humorous ways. I mean how can one not see the irony of Peter Kirsten? :D
In just about every way.

Hair
Batting style
Love of limelight
Nationality

Any more?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's one on Kris Srikkanth that I found on a blog page-
From a blog page
srikkanth actually defined ambush marketing thus: "ambush marketing is something when i try to do something during the match itself or some such thing." and it actually appeared in the economic times here. here are some more srikkanthisms (from a mail i recieved today): apart from gems like "eddie murphy" ( for brian murphy ) and "ricky martin" ( for ricky ponting ), srikkanth also has mouthed other profound and deeply analytical & meaningful stuff like these.
* england players traditionally have been playing very traditional cricket
* england players have a typical english like attitude, which is different than pakistani attitude
* one needs to understand that test cricket is test cricket and one day cricket is one day cricket
* rameez, if zimbawe shock australia by scoring 275 runs, australia will shock zimbawe by scoring 276 runs
* if srinath can bowl a little extra pace, it will make the ball come to the bat more faster
* venkatesh prasad, dont get upset because i upset you, take it cool
* as a captain not in a good form, saurav ganguly should realise that he should play well
* the zimbabwe-england tie is very important from india's point of view because irrespective of the outcome there, india have to beat england.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know why Arun Lal is not too popular among fans He's normal, compared to some other commentators I have heard
  • Kapil Dev– "Is this wicket look good"– to Tony Greig!
  • Madan Lal– Nothing too wrong, except that he puts you to sleep
  • Anshuman Gaikwad– He puts himself to sleep as well
  • Venkatesh Prasad– "You know, aahhh, the last, aahhh, delivery was at, ahh, 159 kiloaahhmetres"– you have to listen to believe
  • Peter Bacellas– Bad accent, bad grammar, excessive excitement– and to think only Indian commentators are laughable

Srinath is our cricket legend, we shouldn't make fun of the mighty bowler just coz his English is weak.

Srinath does make good observation during the play, if BCCI hires Srinath as the bowling coach then our new lads in Munaf Patel,VRS, RPS and Srisanth will turn into a force in the world to reckon with which will be unparallel in the world.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
ramu said:
sidhu is coming watch out:@
Can't believe that in a forum entitled "Let's make fun of Srinath", someone would take offence to someone laughing at Sidhu. Is he your uncle or something?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
And south Indians are SUPPOSED to be the intelligent ones. :(
That reminds me of a discussion I was having with some North Indian cricketers and I said Srinath must be amongst the dumbest bowlers to have played so many test matches for India (he was still playing then and was as exasperating as Fernando must be to Sri Lankans) and one of them said "How can that be? He is a "madraasi' (North Indian word for all South Indians) and on top of that he is an Enginner"

Well there are South Indians and there are South Indians and the same goes for engineers I suppose :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
I don't know why Arun Lal is not too popular among fans
Arun Lal is one of the better commentators to come from India. I am not surprised that he is not THAT popular with the masses as say someone like Sreekanth who is atrocious but whenever one is talking to cricketers one always hears Arun rated very highly.

Another good ex-cricketer commentator is Maninder. Unfortunately used mainly for Hindi commentary.

We also, sometimes, tend to evaluate commentators on their differing with us on some very emotive issue. A die-hard Savchin fan is likely to think poorly of a commentator who disparages Sachin. But when we are evaluating commentators we need to look beyond their personal views, which they are entitled to as long as they are expressed reasonably and they dont make a song and dance and, in the case of Siddhu, a soap opera out of them.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS said:
That reminds me of a discussion I was having with some North Indian cricketers and I said Srinath must be amongst the dumbest bowlers to have played so many test matches for India (he was still playing then and was as exasperating as Fernando must be to Sri Lankans) and one of them said "How can that be? He is a "madraasi' (North Indian word for all South Indians) and on top of that he is an Enginner"

Well there are South Indians and there are South Indians and the same goes for engineers I suppose :)
Trust me, us engineers aren't as smart as we are made out to be. :(

Neither are us south Indians as smart as we are made out to be. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a little worrying how our newest generation of commentators seem woefully below the expected standard...
Donald, Cullinan, Waqar, Symcox, Srinath, Stewart, all (plus surely several others who I've forgotten) have been trying their hand recently and have proven woefully not-up-to-the-task. As far from naturals behind the mic as they come, however much knowledge of the game they have.
Even Michael Atherton isn't as good with the mic as he is with the pen.
The only recently-retired player I've found has shown promise with the mic is Nasser Hussain. Michael Slater, too, would count but he's been commentating since long before his retirement.
And I never thought I'd be able to be as annoyed by a commentator's over-excitedness as I constantly am with Dean Jones. WHAT is an Australian doing commentating on India-vs-England? It was as odd as having Sanjay Manjrekar - good a commentator as he is - on Pakistan-vs-England and West Indies-vs-Pakistan.