• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you could change one thing about international cricket...

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Like I say - I'd need the chance first.
Mark my words - I'd make a better decision-maker at ICC than the Executive Board. Mind, that's not the most difficult thing in The World.
If your proposals include first chance averages then I have to disagree with you.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
More 3 match ODI series - less 7 match ODI series.

I really like 4 test series. Don't know why. Just gives you room for one draw and then you still get a result.

Less bowler friendly pitches.

More grass on pitches in the subcontinent.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sirjeremy11 said:
More 3 match ODI series - less 7 match ODI series.

I really like 4 test series. Don't know why. Just gives you room for one draw and then you still get a result.

Less bowler friendly pitches.

More grass on pitches in the subcontinent.
Are you serious?

telsor

U19 12th Man
Give the Umpires the respect and authority they deserve.

I don't care what techology goes to support them, but once the ump makes a decision, that's it. Right, wrong or disputable, the Umpire has the final say, and once it's made, the players, media, spectators and staff should accept it and move on.

I know some people think such discussions are enjoyable, but I think for the majority, and also for the good of the game, accepting the decision and moving on would make the game more pleasurable. At worst, it's an honest mistake...again, just accept it and move on.

BTW, if you check the rules, thats pretty much how it reads.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Make Simon Jones uninjurable

More 4/5 test series in place of 7 match ODis, three is enough

ODIs to take place before Test series everywhere, it's just more logical, it whets the appetite for the Test series rather than being an anti-climax

danish

U19 12th Man
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Make Simon Jones uninjurable

More 4/5 test series in place of 7 match ODis, three is enough

ODIs to take place before Test series everywhere, it's just more logical, it whets the appetite for the Test series rather than being an anti-climax
That is most definately untrue in the subcontinent.

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
I should like to personally kill everyone who dared to suggest that there should be a world Twenty20 championship.
But whats wrong with it?!

Eddie mate, get in your skintights and have a go on the bouncy castle, theres free ice cream for the kids.. And if you wait a week you might see a game of cricket!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Armadillo said:
If your proposals include first chance averages then I have to disagree with you.
To do what, precisely?
What do ICC have to do with averages?
ICC don't tell people to use statistics, do they?

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
To do what, precisely?
What do ICC have to do with averages?
ICC don't tell people to use statistics, do they?
Well yes, yes they do Richard.
Cast your mind back to the ICC Super Series...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All they said there was "this game will count towards this set".
They don't tell us to use this average and that.
People are now free to create their own statistics, and the game of cricket is so much better for it.
StatsGuru has enhanced the game beyond hitherto wildest dreams, and www.CricketArchive.com has done the same with the domestic game.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Cant say any ONE thing. If I had to put one sentence it would be

To make test cricket result oriented and bring back the crowds to tests.

For this a lot of things would have to be done. One can write at length (and leisure) about it but to just toss around a few ideas...

- Ensure (somehow) that 100 overs got bowled in a day. It happened frequently before.
- Tilt the scale a bit in favour of the bowlers by
  • modifying the ball to enable more movement and longer seam life
  • fixing a bigger and minimum boundary distance
  • changing the covering the square rule
  • In the leg before rule, allowing the 'point-of-contact-within-the-line-of-stumps' bit redundant for deliveries coming in from outside the off stump even if batsman were playing strokes
- Moving towards a four day(three if possible) test if above two changes reduce the time taken for games.
- Consider day night test matches.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:

For this a lot of things would have to be done. One can write at length (and leisure) about it but to just toss around a few ideas...

- Ensure (somehow) that 100 overs got bowled in a day. It happened frequently before.
  • In the leg before rule, allowing the 'point-of-contact-within-the-line-of-stumps' bit redundant for deliveries coming in from outside the off stump even if batsman were playing strokes
- Moving towards a four day(three if possible) test if above two changes reduce the time taken for games.
TBF the game is already more result-orientated than it was 5 or 6 years ago.
There'd be a simple way to ensure 100 overs get bowled in a day. Fine 5 runs for every over under 100 that isn't bowled in a day. Draconian measures, quite simply, are the only way there's a cat-in-hell's-chance of getting over-rates up again, and if anyone genuinely wants to do so, rather than just complaining about it and having the odd fine and a ban here and there, they'll have to take that measure or similar.
I'm not sure I'm in favour of changing the lbw-law, I like it like it is.

danish

U19 12th Man
SJS said:

I agree with the above points, but the last two IMO would completely destroy the tradition of the noble game.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
danish said:
[/B]

I agree with the above points, but the last two IMO would completely destroy the tradition of the noble game.
Test cricket started with four day games. Five day matches came much later.

Last edited: