• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cosgrove-In the team now, or wait until he gets off his ****.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IMHO, neither Symonds nor Watson is the long-term #6 at this stage, only because we don't know yet whether either are good enough to be #6. Watson's chances were curtailed by injury, and Symonds is yet to convince.
For me, if the selectors want Watson to bowl, he should bat number 6 at the highest. If they want to pick him as a batsman, number 5 at the highest. He has the defensive game but in attack, his strokes are very rigid with hard hands. He always reminds me of the batsman in the board game 'Test Match' with the way he drives (:D). For mine, without some changes to the way he bats, he'll always be vulnerable to spin and doesn't really have many gears when he bats. For these reasons, I don't think he's a long-term number 4.

howardj

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
He always reminds me of the batsman in the board game 'Test Match' with the way he drives (:D). .
MacGill reminds me of the fieldsmen in that game, except they're more mobile.

It's is true, though, about Watson - he does look somewhat mechanical/rigid.

Last edited:

Dixie Flatline

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Top_Cat said:
For me, if the selectors want Watson to bowl, he should bat number 6 at the highest. If they want to pick him as a batsman, number 5 at the highest. He has the defensive game but in attack, his strokes are very rigid with hard hands. He always reminds me of the batsman in the board game 'Test Match' with the way he drives (:D). For mine, without some changes to the way he bats, he'll always be vulnerable to spin and doesn't really have many gears when he bats. For these reasons, I don't think he's a long-term number 4.
Haven't played "Test Match" for years.

I think you're right, though. If Watson is to do his fair share of bowling, I don't think the selectors would want him to bowl 20-25 overs in an innings then potentially come in at 2/30 an hour later.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
In which case, one of Cosgrove and Hussey will then not be picked (or will bat at 6)
well Hussey will remain so in the future the other spot will be between Clarke & Cosgrove, but then again as TC is saying if he is going to be bowling a lot maybe #5 or 6 should be his long term postion.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
For mine, without some changes to the way he bats, he'll always be vulnerable to spin and doesn't really have many gears when he bats. For these reasons, I don't think he's a long-term number 4.
yea i kinda saw that while he batted in the super test & the 1st test vs WI, but hopefully as he matures his ability againts spin improves. He somewhats reminds me now of Kallis in his younger days...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The lock jump in the middle order for Australia, is why i think Cossie might get his first chance in the Test side as a opener. When you add Katich to the mix, there might not be a middle order spot for some time. But long term he probably will be a number 5, with Clarke at 4 (with experience he will improve his technique, he already a long way ahead of Katich, Hussey and Hodge at the same age) and Watson 6

howardj

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
The lock jump in the middle order for Australia, is why i think Cossie might get his first chance in the Test side as a opener. When you add Katich to the mix, there might not be a middle order spot for some time. But long term he probably will be a number 5, with Clarke at 4 (with experience he will improve his technique, he already a long way ahead of Katich, Hussey and Hodge at the same age) and Watson 6
Is that the same as a log-jam? Just kiddin'

Anyway, whatever expression you use, I actually think it will be a little time before Australia's middle-order settles. Certainly, Hodge and Symonds do not inspire great confidence. If Cosgrove is still gorging himself this time next year, I'd see no problem in picking him in the middle-order. Such an opportunity could well present itself, as there's definitely not a look of permanance about the middle-order at present.

kwigibo

School Boy/Girl Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
David Hussey has almost 10 years on Cosgrove. I can't see Hussey being picked as a back-up batsman for the WC, if they have a settled first team. The selectors will want to bring youth in.
Hussey has less than 7 years on Cosgrove, and if Hodge keeps getting so many oppurtunities, I don't see why Hussey can't be in the WC squad. Ideally they'd both be in there, but after Katich's reprieve tonight spots are going to be at an even higher premium for a while and even Jaques' ODI career is going to end up like Stuart Law's test career without some luck.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Is that the same as a log-jam? Just kiddin'

Anyway, whatever expression you use, I actually think it will be a little time before Australia's middle-order settles. Certainly, Hodge and Symonds do not inspire great confidence. If Cosgrove is still gorging himself this time next year, I'd see no problem in picking him in the middle-order. Such an opportunity could well present itself, as there's definitely not a look of permanance about the middle-order at present.
Back to English classes for me :ph34r:

I see your point, but i think Clarke, Watson and Katich will get a go before him.

howardj

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
I see your point, but i think Clarke, Watson and Katich will get a go before him.
I reckon Clarke and Watson will. In the longer form of the game, they're done with the Kat-Man, though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
howardj said:
I reckon Clarke and Watson will. In the longer form of the game, they're done with the Kat-Man, though.
Never say never. If he scores consistantly for NSW in the Pura Cup, and keeps getting scores in ODIs, he could come back into the mix.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
Never say never. If he scores consistantly for NSW in the Pura Cup, and keeps getting scores in ODIs, he could come back into the mix.
yea out of all the older batsman around in australia i woudn't mind having Katich being around the reckoning for a middle order within the next 5 years or so.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In a way, I don't think having Darren Lehmann as his mentor would be the best thing for Cosgrove. I can't exactly imagine Lehmann telling him that he has to get superfit.