• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Test Innings

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I'd like to nominate the following:

Damien Martyn, 104, Chennai, 2004
Mike Hussey, 122, Melbourne, 2005
Steve Waugh, 102, Sydney, 2003

Anyone disagree?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LongHopCassidy said:
Damien Martyn, 104, Chennai, 2004
Gotta have that one in there. One of the best knocks I've ever seen.

Good to see Tendulkar's 114 at Perth and his 136 at Chennai against Pakistan in the 4th innings. Both two of his best knocks ever.

You know what's an underrated knock? Langer's 191 at Perth aganst Pakistan in 2004/05. Pakistan were in control at 5-78 with Shoaib and Sami bowling fast and accurate. He fought through it, got some runs in a partnership with Gilly and then rescued Australia to a decent total of 381. The Aussie bowlers did the rest.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004-05/PAK_IN_AUS/SCORECARDS/PAK_AUS_T1_16-20DEC2004.html

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Have you got Steve Waugh's one off the last ball? Gotta have that if it's not there.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mike Hussey, 122, Melbourne, 2005
Can't believe I didn't think of that one myself. Definately an instant classic.

Is Lara's double hundred in Adelaide this year to break the record there?

If it is, what about the first of Hussey's centuries with the tail this summer? Not as good as the Melbourne one, but certainly worthy also.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Jono said:
You know what's an underrated knock? Langer's 191 at Perth aganst Pakistan in 2004/05. Pakistan were in control at 5-78 with Shoaib and Sami bowling fast and accurate. He fought through it, got some runs in a partnership with Gilly and then rescued Australia to a decent total of 381. The Aussie bowlers did the rest.
He hit one of the best sixes I've ever seen hit off a fast bowler in that match [Akhtar]. He just plonked the front foot and sung through the line, hit it crisp and it landed far into the stand over mid-on. It was beautiful.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm gonna have to go with Laxman, because it was more of a 'back-to-the-wall' scenario, and for the fact that I was actually born when it happened

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
andyc said:
I'm gonna have to go with Laxman, because it was more of a 'back-to-the-wall' scenario, and for the fact that I was actually born when it happened
In 1936, Australia was 2-0 down in the Ashes and caught on a sticky wicket.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why have 2 of the greatest knocks ever battle each other straight away in round 1? It seems a bit silly. Its like having Federer vs. Roddick or Hewitt or Safin etc. in round 1 of the Australian Open. Unless you did it randomly, and if so, you should have done it again :p

Anyway, I'm voting Laxman's 281. Its meant more to me as a cricket fan, and is the best back to the wall knock I've personally laid witness to.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
LongHopCassidy said:
In 1936, Australia was 2-0 down in the Ashes and caught on a sticky wicket.
Bradman for me.

In fairness, Bradman's innings, although quite brilliant, was secondary to probably the shrewdest captaincy the game has ever seen.

Here's what one rubbish cricket writer had to say:

More Bradman brilliance was to follow with the wicket continuing to behave erratically as it dried. In a move calculated to buy time, he sent in tail-enders O'Reilly and Chuck Fleetwood-Smith to open the innings, soon to be followed by Frank Ward. The Don himself went in at seven, and he and Jack Fingleton flayed England all around Melbourne and the home side won by 365 runs to keep the series alive. Bradman's 270 stands out in the scorebook as the reason for Australia's win, but it was the leadership and quick thinking of the man which won the day.