• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies Captaincy - the best job on earth

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
The future leader for me has to be Sarwan. He is a fantastic player with great abilities, there is no reason that he can't be a decent captain. Also Windies have to look to the future, they can't turn back to Lara as this would be taking a step backwards, also Lara's committment to the West Indian team has been questioned. I don't think Hinds is the right option as he looks a mediocre player to me and would not set a good example in leading from the front.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Wow,well done on that,great article.

I say they should give Dwnaye Bravo the captaincy if only to make sure he's allways in the side.

danish

U19 12th Man
West Indies captaincy must be one of the hardest jobs in cricket today, with having to be in charge of such an ill-disciplined and unpredictable team. I don't envy the person who becomes captain (or maybe I do) of this energetic team. The West Indian team however do remind me of the chaotic state that the Pakistani team were in before Inzamam became captain, and under his leadership, Pakistan are one of the dominant sides in world cricket. Perhaps if the right man is chosen for this job, he could bring stability to the West Indian team.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
A great article - I always enjoy reading what you write.

One name that to me seemed glaringly absent - Chris Gayle. He seems a precosus (?)talent - maybe the captaincy would galvanize his sense of responsiblity. I don't know him as a personality but he seems to be a person able to do great things but not quite live up to his talent.
Sarwan, like many of the West Indian players, doesn't seem to be able to grow up. Ramdin would be a good choice - but not quite yet. I think he needs more experiance against the better teams - I feel he was found out against Australia, although he battled hard. A future captain for sure.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gayle has actually been invited to a fairly high profile leadership seminar to be held in the region in the near future. Gayle, Sarwan, Chanderpaul, Ganga, Ryan Hinds, Wavell Hinds and Lara. Lara turned it down though. He said he's otherwise occupied, which suggests to me that he's not interested in the West Indies captaincy atm, contrary to the beliefs of many.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Chris Gayle doesn't strike me as the captaincy type,he seems too laid back to make any sort of impression on his fellow team,which is what IMO a west Indies captain needs to do.

Dixie Flatline

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
IMHO, the West Indians should stick with Chanderpaul. During the 80s, when the Aussies were routinely flogged, there were regular calls for Border's head, but the selectors stood by him and he put Australia on the path to its dominant position in cricket. The next generation of leaders, like Bravo and Ramdin, need to be given time to fit into the team, and I don't think any of Chanderpaul's contemporaries would necessarily do a better job than Chanderpaul, which is a primary reason for changing the captain.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Dixie Flatline said:
IMHO, the West Indians should stick with Chanderpaul. During the 80s, when the Aussies were routinely flogged, there were regular calls for Border's head, but the selectors stood by him and he put Australia on the path to its dominant position in cricket. The next generation of leaders, like Bravo and Ramdin, need to be given time to fit into the team, and I don't think any of Chanderpaul's contemporaries would necessarily do a better job than Chanderpaul, which is a primary reason for changing the captain.
Chanderpaul is not being criticized because he leads a poor team. He's being criticized because he's a poor captain.

1. The team isn't meshing under him.
2. He does not seem capable of inspiring the team in any way.
3. His personal batting form is shot.
4. His field placements are ridiculous.
5. His man management is questionable.

Quite simply, to compare Chanderpaul to Border at any stage in his career is incredible. He doesn't deserve the honour. I'm a huge fan of Chanderpaul the cricketer, but he's the worst captain in world cricket at the moment, and it's not anything to do with the quality of his team.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Chanderpaul is not being criticized because he leads a poor team. He's being criticized because he's a poor captain.

1. The team isn't meshing under him.
2. He does not seem capable of inspiring the team in any way.
3. His personal batting form is shot.
4. His field placements are ridiculous.
5. His man management is questionable.

Quite simply, to compare Chanderpaul to Border at any stage in his career is incredible. He doesn't deserve the honour. I'm a huge fan of Chanderpaul the cricketer, but he's the worst captain in world cricket at the moment, and it's not anything to do with the quality of his team.
very good points here liam, but i reckon either Gayle or Sarwan would be good options or maybe WI can go the way of SA and make Ramdin the captain since he seems to have good leadership qualities.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
very good points here liam, but i reckon either Gayle or Sarwan would be good options or maybe WI can go the way of SA and make Ramdin the captain since he seems to have good leadership qualities.
Ramdin won't be getting the captaincy any time soon. Lara spoke to the press at a T&T training session (he's back in action for us tomorrow *woohoo*.. game is just 10 minutes drive from my house too) and said that Ramdin isn't ready. Lara doesn't endorse him, so he almost certainly won't be placed in the role.

I think Hinds is still the most likely change, though his omission from the Test squad does seem to state otherwise.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In a way, it's a pity that Ramdin is a keeper - he obviously has the potential to lead, but how willing the selectors/coaches will be to give him that responsibility while he has to do the glovework as well is something worth monitoring.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Well Ramdin has already led the Trinidad and Tobago U19 team with great success and led the West Indies U19 team to the final of the U19 World Cup I believe. This suggests to me that the powers that be in West Indies cricket aren't too concerned about his role as a 'keeper. He's being groomed for the captaincy in the future IMO. He's a more serious candidate that Sarwan is, because Sarwan has been the bridesmaid so many times (vice-captain), but rarely gets to the vows.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Ramdin won't be getting the captaincy any time soon. Lara spoke to the press at a T&T training session (he's back in action for us tomorrow *woohoo*.. game is just 10 minutes drive from my house too) and said that Ramdin isn't ready. Lara doesn't endorse him, so he almost certainly won't be placed in the role.

I think Hinds is still the most likely change, though his omission from the Test squad does seem to state otherwise.
cool who are trinidad playing?, btw drifting way off-topic ever heard of a girl in trinidad by the name of Quitara La Guerre?

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie said:
cool who are trinidad playing?, btw drifting way off-topic ever heard of a girl in trinidad by the name of Quitara La Guerre?
Never even heard of the surname around these parts.

Ganga, Lara, Bravo, Ramdin et al taking on Chanders, Sarwan, King et all. T&T vs Guyana.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well Ramdin has already led the Trinidad and Tobago U19 team with great success and led the West Indies U19 team to the final of the U19 World Cup I believe. This suggests to me that the powers that be in West Indies cricket aren't too concerned about his role as a 'keeper. He's being groomed for the captaincy in the future IMO. He's a more serious candidate that Sarwan is, because Sarwan has been the bridesmaid so many times (vice-captain), but rarely gets to the vows.
I'd agree with that. I think they should just give the captaincy to one of Sarwan or Gayle. They're the most capable regulars at the oment. Hinds can't find a place on the team and is having some trouble with his own team disciplinarily so he's not in the running. Sylvester Joseph's a thought but he also can't make the team.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the Gayle option should be tried out. Make him vc for the NZ series and hopefully, get him to captain during the home season. It could really work.