• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Little and little known cricketing oddities

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel Beckett is the only recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature to have played first-class cricket (record here ), but last year's winner, Harold Pinter is a fanatical fan who owns a complete set of Wisden.

In yesterday's Guardian Frank Keating explained how Pinter totally baffled a Swedish reporter by explaining he'd spent his time watching "England play cricket in Pakistan on television." when he'd been too ill to travel to receive his prize. He also relayed another story of Pinter's intense love for cricket as told by the late, great Kingsley Amis. The two great men of letters were watching the Ashes test at Lords in 1972:

"Around 11.50 I was happily and inattentively into my second gin and tonic when I noticed a ball crossing the third-man boundary. 'Oh, good shot,' I muttered. Next to me, with fierce disdain Harold looked me in the eye: 'Good shot, man? That was a thick edge off a late outswinger; if first slip had been a yard finer he would have been caught, and anyway third man was fast asleep. Good shot? Really, man, do you remotely understand what you're talking about? Good shot?'

"'I'm awfully sorry, Harold,' I croaked, pathetically, 'I didn't realise you were Dennis Lillee's cousin.' (Untrue, actually I only thought of that last line later)."
:D

Article here:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/columni...1676769,00.html

FuzzyDuck

Cricket Spectator
wpdavid said:
Imran Khan never played in a home test against England.
Ian Botham only played one Test in Pakistan, despite playing test cricket for 15 years.

Sir Richard Hadlee's father (WA Hadlee), two of his brothers (DR & BG Hadlee) and his wife (K Hadlee) all represented NZ at cricket.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Barry never played a test, but he, Richard and Dayle all played in the 1975 World Cup match against England. I have a feeling father Walter was the head of NZ Cricket at that stage...

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
In August 1850 the following team played Eleven Gentlemen of Godalming and District:

Twelve Caesars:

Benjamin Caesar
Charles Caesar
John Caesar senior
John Caesar junior
William Caesar
George Caesar senior
George Caesar junior
Julius Caesar
Frederick B Caesar
Richard Caesar
Benjamin Julius Caesar
William Caesar

Julius was the only member of the family to play first class cricket. BTW, I have seen it recorded that he and the Constantine's were the only test cricketers bearing the names of Roman Emperors -- that is incorrect, for Julius Caesar (assassinated in 44BC) was never Emperor -- his title was Dictator -- it was his great nephew Octavian who became the first Roman Emperor as Augustus in 27BC.