cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Tribute to Anil Kumble-For Completing 100 Tests

foe
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer

A Tribute to Anil Kumble-For Completing 100 Tests

Anil Kumble has joined an elite club of men to have played 100 test matches... He is the 6th Indian to do so....I always felt that Kumble has been by far the most under rated cricketer India has ever produced

As SJS has shown in one of his threads Kumble's stats are just as good as Shane Warne's yet the leggie from Karnataka has never been given his due, specially not by the selectors
    The furore over Ganguly's axing has made me think about the various instances that Kumble has been treated like a door mat ,but not once was there any public outcry

Kumble has always been known for his quiet,understated approach...I always thought he was suited to captain India but somehow that passed him by

Some of Kumble's Career Highlights:
    Debut : Vs England at Manchester in 1990...His first victim was Alan Lamb

first 5 wicket haul : Kumble's detractors have always questioned his overseas record..Ironic then that his first 5 wicket haul came in 1993 at Johannesburg

10/10 : the day no Indian fan will ever forget....Vs Pakistan at the Kotla,Kumble became the first Indian and second player ever to claim all 10 wickets in an innings.

Breaking Kapil Dev's record :Kumble surpassed Kapil Dev's record of 434 wickets last year....He is now the Most successful bowler for India in both tests and ODI's

*Kumble holds the indian record for best Bowling figures in both tests (10-74) and Odi's (6-12)

*He has also taken the most wickets by any Indian in both forms ...478 in 99 tests n 329 in 264 Odi's

*Holds the record for most caught and bowled dismissals in test cricket

*Has taken 30 5-wicket hauls in tests...Thats the most by an Indian and fourth highest overall

For more of Kumble's memorable preformances..check this out
    http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/indi...ry/229781.html

International Regular a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Congratulations to India's greatest spin bowler.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Well done ole chap
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

To me the man defines committment and hard work. I think it was Ian Chappell who said something similar to "Everytime he gets a wicket you just get the feeling he deserves it because of how hard he works". He's always busting his gut, and is a workhorse and a strike bowler all in one. Those are hard to find.

Chappell and Benaud were talking about Kumble today during the Aus v SA test, and it was just great to see the high regard he's held by many experts of the game. Yes he's no Murali or Warne, but he is respected as one of the best spin bowlers around today. IMO during my time watching cricket he's the biggest test match winner in Indian cricket. An absolute champion.
    Last edited by Jono; 18-12-2005 at 07:27 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Kumble = Champion X 10
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    I never knew how good he was but theese stats are amazing,how the hwll wasn't he picked for the super series?

A NZ player needed to be in the test team, and hence Vettori was picked.

I don't want to get into the argument again, but Vettori in the ODI team was fine as I reckon he's a better ODI bowler than Kumble currently, but leaving Kumble out in the test team made little sense, and the only logical explanation was what I said above. No disrespect to Vettori, as I'm a huge fan of his, but Kumble + Murali on the Sydney wicket would have done much more damage.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    You're probably right about Kumble on the Sydney pitch, but Vettori has a reputation for excelling against Australia, while Kumble has a reputation for failing outside of India. Both reputations are partially deserved and partially not... but they are still there, and I think that explains the decision a bit, as well as the New Zealand factor.

Anyway, a very good effort from a world class bowler to reach 100 tests. Still improving as a bowler as well.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    You're probably right about Kumble on the Sydney pitch, but Vettori has a reputation for excelling against Australia, while Kumble has a reputation for failing outside of India. Both reputations are partially deserved and partially not... but they are still there, and I think that explains the decision a bit, as well as the New Zealand factor.

Anyway, a very good effort from a world class bowler to reach 100 tests. Still improving as a bowler as well.
    With Kumble's performance in Australia last time the poor record away would be discounted a fair bit for selection for a World XI for a match in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad

Your last statement is the main thing though. He's still improving, and his last few tours outside of India he's been brilliant. Like I said, the last time he played in Sydney in Jan 2004, he got more wickets by himself (12) than the whole Australian team (9). He had much more than MacGill had (1).

Kumble on a Sydney wicket is always the better option.

http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/St...MatchCode=1698
    Last edited by Jono; 18-12-2005 at 07:23 PM.

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    Anil Kumble = Good bowler...

However he has no right to be classed in the same category as Shane Warne or Murali. He's just India's answer to Warne and Murali and all the home fans love him, and harp on about his "amazing" statistics.

Every time Murali or Warne steps up to the bowling crease you just know that a wicket may be around the corner. Kumble isn't like that unfortunately... All in all however, just one of a few good spinners around the world. Definately the same bracket as Vettori and Kaneria.
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

C_C
    Quote Originally Posted by Slats4ever
    Anil Kumble = Good bowler...

However he has no right to be classed in the same category as Shane Warne or Murali. He's just India's answer to Warne and Murali and all the home fans love him, and harp on about his "amazing" statistics.

Every time Murali or Warne steps up to the bowling crease you just know that a wicket may be around the corner. Kumble isn't like that unfortunately... All in all however, just one of a few good spinners around the world. Definately the same bracket as Vettori and Kaneria.

Kumble right now is far more in the Warne-Murali bracket than Vettori/Kaneria.
    Kumble = a bit like Warne but better at home and worse away than Warne. But Warney has had the support of a worldclass bowling attack that Kumble didnt. Anyways, Kumble to Warne/Murali is a bit like Steve Waugh to Lara-Tendulkar.

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Kumble = a bit like Warne but better at home and worse away than Warne.
    I don't think it's that hard once you've had enough bowling in Indian conditions to be a good leg spinner in test cricket in India. No batsmen aorund the world these days know how to play or are used to playing spin as well as the Indians. His away record is what is important in making someone good and quite frankly it doesn't compare. It's rather similar to Giles almost.

But Warney has had the support of a worldclass bowling attack that Kumble didnt.
    Softest excuse ever. Hasn't stopped Murali dominating the fact that he doesn't have a world class attack. Having a world class attack or not can be advantageous both ways.

Anyways, Kumble to Warne/Murali is a bit like Steve Waugh to Lara-Tendulkar.
    What's your point?

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slats4ever
    I don't think it's that hard once you've had enough bowling in Indian conditions to be a good leg spinner in test cricket in India.
    Umm not really. Else Sairaj Bahutule among many others would have played many more test matches.

His away record is what is important in making someone good and quite frankly it doesn't compare. It's rather similar to Giles almost.
    His away record in most of his career has been poor. Without justifying it, I have spoken of a reason for it which Kumble believes too. I will be more interested in how his away record is in the next 3-4 years to judge him..

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    According to CricInfo, since May 2002 Kumble has taken 67 wickets away from home at an average of 28.84 and strike rate of 55.85 with 4 5 wicket hauls and a 10 wicket haul (against Australia, no less). So Kumble has clearly been doing very well away from home in recent times. At any rate, Kumble is the clear no. 3 spinner in the world right now, and in almost any other era he'd be the best in the world.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information