• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Line Ups

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
Oh, I dunno. Only Harmy surpasses his record of awful bowling spells at Chester-le-Street. :p
His batting, however, is at times worse than Chris Martin. From Coldplay..... :ph34r:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Oh, I dunno. Only Harmy surpasses his record of awful bowling spells at Chester-le-Street. :p
Only because Tait's spells at Chester-Le-Street were so awful he only bowled 1 spell a game.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Langer
Jacques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Cosgrove
Haddin or one of Ronchi/Croswaithe
Henriques
Lee
J Gillespie
Cullen

Other players with potential: Tom Cooper, Ed Cowan, D Warner from NSW all have big wraps on them

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
England:

1. ME Trescothick
2. AN Cook
3. MP Vaughan*
4. AJ Strauss
5. IR Bell
6. KP Pietersen
7. A Flintoff
8. MJ Prior+
9. LE Plunkett
10. SP Jones
11. MS Panesar
no Harmison? i dont see why he wont be their in 2009. With regards to Cook once he keeps improving he will open the batting & Strauss going down to 4 which would give England middle order a real stronger look, for me the sooner Cook can get in their the better it will be for England.

For me with the Keeper i hope Jones can still be 1st chocie by then over Prior or in incubent Read. Also Gilo could well & be their in 2009 even though he will be 36, if not Panesar, Loudon or Swann may play

Australia:
Langer/Hayden - depends which one holds their form for that long
Jaques
Ponting*
Clarke
M.Hussey/Cosgrove/Marsh/D.Hussey/Ferguson/North - if either langee of Matt doesn't last that long Hussey could go up the order to open thus enabling one of these blokes in the middle order.
Watson
Haddin - or Hartley, Crosthwaite, Ronchi
Lee
Dizzy - or Bracken, Dorey, Johnson Bird, Wise
Cullen
Tait

also has neil mentioned earlier they may be some other unknown person who could come good in 2009 as KP did this year.

Looking at what both sides could be like in 2009, it much easier to predict what england may look like since they have a much younger brigade which will be together for a long time. So IMO we can already see australia will have to play very well to win the ashes here in 2009.

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
Langer
Jacques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Cosgrove
Haddin or one of Ronchi/Croswaithe
Henriques
Lee
J Gillespie
Cullen
Hartley will play test cricket before Ronchi or Crosthwaite

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dorey has to be a real chance to play a big part for Australia in 4 years time. He's not the youngest guy around, but he's been such a success in his brief career so far that I'd be surprised if he never played tests.

Henriques is a good pick as well.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Henriques is a good pick as well.
isn't he a batting all-rounder or so i've heard, so to think of it it will be difficult to see where he may play in the test in 4 years time.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
I think that it is really too early to comment, but I would like to say that Blackwell and Clown must be included in their sides. Second-rate spinners such as Panesar and Giles have no place in England's team, and Brad Hodge has no place in Australia's.

simmy

International Regular
Barney Rubble said:
England:

1. ME Trescothick
2. AN Cook
3. MP Vaughan*
4. AJ Strauss
5. IR Bell
6. KP Pietersen
7. A Flintoff
8. MJ Prior+
9. LE Plunkett
10. SP Jones
11. MS Panesar
That looks strong.. especially if Panesar keeps progressing. Encouraging.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
ClownSymonds said:
I think that it is really too early to comment, but I would like to say that Blackwell and Clown must be included in their sides. Second-rate spinners such as Panesar and Giles have no place in England's team, and Brad Hodge has no place in Australia's.
Are you serious about this Blackwell thing? Or is it all irony? Hard to tell.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
ClownSymonds said:
na Panesar has potential, its too early to call him anything even second rate. With regards to Blackie & Symo maybe Symo could hold down a test spot in 4 years time but right now i'm not so sure about blackie ever playing tests for england.

Also whats wrong with Hodge in oz's team?

greg

International Debutant
Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
England:

1. ME Trescothick
2. AN Cook
3. MP Vaughan*
4. AJ Strauss
5. IR Bell
6. KP Pietersen
7. A Flintoff
8. MJ Prior+
9. LE Plunkett
10. SP Jones
11. MS Panesar
You've missed out a bowler. England are hardly going to put out a stronger batting attack against what is almost certain to be a weaker bowling attack than in the 2005 series. Also Flintoff will be past his bowling peak and heading toward Kallis territory. Presumably Panesar is just the next Jason Brown as well.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
greg said:
You've missed out a bowler. England are hardly going to put out a stronger batting attack against what is almost certain to be a weaker bowling attack than in the 2005 series. Also Flintoff will be past his bowling peak and heading toward Kallis territory. Presumably Panesar is just the next Jason Brown as well.
I only missed out a bowler because I couldn't work out which batsman wouldn't be there!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
Presumably Panesar is just the next Jason Brown as well.
why Brown is already in his 30's and by 2009 he will be 35 i think, Panesar along with Loudon & Swann are the more likely spinners to replace Gilo during that time