• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell fingering fans

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
shounak said:
How is the bird more offensive in India then it is in Australia.. I'm 19 years old and despite being born in Australia have been going back to India every 3 years for minimum of a month.. I'd say I'd know quite a bit about Indian culture..

I truly fail to see how the bird is more offensive in India then Australia.. If anything, more people know what it is and what it implies in Aust then India..
Well then surely you would then know that such things are frowned upon in Indian culture moreso than Australian culture? Just imagine the reaction if you were to give the finger to someone at an Indian functon as opposed to one with majority Australians...the Australians might offer a mild rebuke whereas you and I both know that the Indians would be up in arms about it. It's a matter of the difference in how respect is shown in these cultures...and Chappell certainly crossed the line with his actions.

I remember Damien Martyn giving the finger to a journalist which was captured on camera..the reaction, although disapproving, was mild and it was forgotten about pretty quickly. Now look at the Indian reaction. Surely the fact that it has gotten so much attention and is so widely reported shows that many more people have been offended by Chappell's indiscretion, which reflects on the culture.

Last edited:

Shounak

Banned
Well that would depend on the individual..It also depends on the type of Indians you're dealing with. But as a crowd, or a collective group. Would the people in the crowd take more offence to getting the finger in either country?

I think both countries audiences would see it as a lack of control and upbringing on GC's part, rather then be offended or take it as a blow to their culture..

I think the whole cultural thing is irrelevant when discussing GC's actions..

Isolator

State 12th Man
C_C said:
No, massive cultural ignorance from the part of many here. Chappell is coaching India, not Australia. As such,his actions will be viewed from an Indian cultural perspective.
I am sure if someone impressed their cultural values on you ( say comes from a ***ually conservative culture and called most aussie women to be whores) you wouldnt take that as an insignificant comment.
Perhaps my awareness of Indian culture is not as acute as yours... or perhaps this "culture" is really a myth because there is no one, single culture that defines this nation as a whole. Then again, as I said, maybe I'm just ignorant. The public reaction to this diabolical act will make it pretty clear what our culture really is, as far as such matters are concerned...

Shounak

Banned
Dasa said:
I remember Damien Martyn giving the finger to a journalist which was captured on camera..the reaction, although disapproving, was mild and it was forgotten about pretty quickly. Now look at the Indian reaction. Surely the fact that it has gotten so much attention and is so widely reported shows that many more people have been offended by Chappell's indiscretion, which reflects on the culture.
Marto's reaction was to the media and it was done in a joking, almost approval seeking manner. There was no malice there. He had a smile on his face whilst doing it.. But anyway, a coach and a non-senior (ie not captain or vice) players standard of behaviour are completely different..

If Ganguly or John Buchanan gave an Australian crowd the finger, I'm sure everyone would be up in arms.. More so then if Marto did (to the media.. edit)..

But people aren't offended by this, they simply find the action highly inappropriate for someone in GC's position.

Who was personally or culturally offended by them?

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
From cricinfo

Greg Chappell, India's coach, has "vehemently denied" making any obscene gestures at the crowd, as has been suggested in media reports. A clip has been aired on several television channels showing a hand with the middle finger upright and all other fingers folded. This incident took place before India's one-dayer against South Africa at Kolkata.

"I vehemently deny making any gesture towards anybody. I did not gesture either towards the media or to the public" Chappell told Cricinfo after the team reached Mumbai. "I have not seen the pictures clearly, but from what I have seen an image has been captured through a window. I don't keep track of every movement of mine, but I certainly know I did not make any angry gestures towards the public," he said.

However, Chappell did not go so far to suggest the hand was someone else's and not his. "I'm not saying that the hand that was shown was not mine," said Chappell. "But even if it was, what is being shown is a mischievous and malicious interpretation of what happened."

This comes in the wake of the Indian team being treated to boos and jeers as they slid to a 10-wicket defeat. Through the course of the match, and especially in the second innings when an Indian defeat looked imminent, the restive crowd turned on the home team, cheering with great gusto every time a boundary was hit by South Africa. Even when the post-match ceremony was on the crowds booed Rahul Dravid, Chappell and some sections even went after Sachin Tendulkar, who registered a low score in the match.

Yesterday, when confronted by the media in Kolkata, M Baladitya, the media manager, put a different spin on the whole issue. "I have spoken to Chappell. He told me that while giving fielding practice to the players, he injured a finger. He was only attending to the finger in the team bus," Baladitya told the media.

greg

International Debutant
Isolator said:
Yeah, and he wanted everyone else to attend to it to.

"Attend to this, ************s!"
I don't see why one should automatically ridicule such an explanation. Try biting your fingernails - when you get on to your index finger it would probably be pretty easy to capture a photograph suggesting something more "sinister".

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Have to say the photo I've seen does make the reporting of the incident a seem a bit over the top.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
parttimer said:
Well maybe the Kolkatans shouldn't have burned an effigy of him, that might have offended HIS 'cultural sensitivities'.
The Kolkatans aren't all national coaches. You should have a thick enough skin to take it in stride; it comes with the job.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
parttimer said:
Well maybe the Kolkatans shouldn't have burned an effigy of him, that might have offended HIS 'cultural sensitivities'.
Who the hell is justifying the effigy burning by the Kolkata fans? :dry:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am certain if Chappell continues on his winning ways with the Indian Team, this will all be forgotten soon.

But if India were to fail to win the series , this might come to haunt him again.

Indian Cricket is on its best footing at the moment with Chappell / Dravid combo at the top.

Only Calcutta (Am I correct in saying -the largest state in India ) seems unhappy with this state of affairs !! Possibly because of their local hero being cast aside . :D :D

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
Dasa said:
So you choose to believe ONE person over several others who disagree??
Make that one more person. Gosh, what I've seen in delhi schools is that little kids not even in class 6th (about 11 yrs) pop up their middle fingers when irritated at someone. With wrestling and all, middle finger has inculcated itself into the neo indian culture, at least in the metros.

Last edited:

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
Pratyush said:
Coming to the job - one should understand whatever else comes along with a job. If some one does not he is likely to get into unnecessary controversies.
I doubt if being booed for doing well by your own countrymen was ever part of the job description. I agree he didn't show much professionalism, but neither did the Kolkata crowd deserve any.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
Pratyush said:
If some one does not he is likely to get into unnecessary controversies.
I would say his tiff with ganguly is the main reason why he will get into unneccessary controversies. He's got some powerful and influential people against him and all they are looking for s a reason to shoot him. Saying which, someone should have told him that, which I presume they did, and for him to show his middle finger like that could only mean a) that he was super ****ed and couldn't control it, b) he thought it wouldn't be visible and so only a personal way off letting off steam without hurting anyone or c) he didn't care.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
Isolator said:
The public reaction to this diabolical act will make it pretty clear what our culture really is, as far as such matters are concerned...
I wish. This "diabolical act" will just give the pro ganguly and anti chapell party a stronger case to fight with.

SteveG

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
marc71178 said:
Is it any wonder so many people don't like the Australian team then?
Oh, you English are precious.

I keep forgetting your team is a shining light in a dark era of bad behaviour...sainthood must be just around the corner.

SteveG

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
pug said:
I doubt if being booed for doing well by your own countrymen was ever part of the job description. I agree he didn't show much professionalism, but neither did the Kolkata crowd deserve any.
I totally agree.

Getting booed by your own crowd must be very disheartening. This incident, while not particularly savoury, has been blown out of all proportion.