Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Matches of all Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Snippie's Avatar

Favourite Matches of all Time

With over 4 500 threads, I'm pretty sure this must have been done before, but could you guys bear with me?

I'm interested to know what your favourite matches ever watched is.

If possible, only one One-dayer and one Test.

Why was it your favourite, who was the teams playing, who won, which players stood out during the game etc.

It doesn't have to be the best, just your favourite for whatever reason...

Still thinking about mine, will post it a bit later!

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Mine, without a doubt, is this match. I don't think I need to say anymore about this one, I'm sure anyone who saw it was in awe of Laxman (at least for a little while).

Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    Mine, without a doubt, is this match. I don't think I need to say anymore about this one, I'm sure anyone who saw it was in awe of Laxman (at least for a little while).
    Stole the words from my fingers.

Also, this.

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Here's a few of mine (I must write about a few more)

5 from Eddie
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Greatest ODI for me was the 1999 WC semi-final between Australia and South Africa.

The greatest test I've seen... is very hard, but I'd probably say Edgbaston 2005 comes pretty close.

Greatest series... I think I enjoyed Australia vs West Indies 94/95 (as well as 92/93 for that matter) the most. Australia vs India 2001 and the 2005 Ashes compete well.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Greatest ODI for me was the 1999 WC semi-final between Australia and South Africa.

The greatest test I've seen... is very hard, but I'd probably say Edgbaston 2005 comes pretty close.

Greatest series... I think I enjoyed Australia vs West Indies 94/95 (as well as 92/93 for that matter) the most. Australia vs India 2001 and the 2005 Ashes compete well.
    Only cos you didn't win the last two, yeah?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Only cos you didn't win the last two, yeah?
    Well, I think 94/95 stands out in my mind because it was such a huge moment in Australian cricket, yeah.

International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    These are probably my favorite tests, off the top of my head:

West Indies vs Australia at Kingston, 1995
    The game where Australia stopped WI's unbeaten series record and became unofficial world champions. Steve Waugh played one of his greatest innings (if not the greatest) and endured a barrage of bouncers the likes of which Alan Border said he'd never seen before. Also spawned one of the greatest dummy spits, when Richie Richardson claimed it was the weakest Australian side he'd ever played against.

India vs Australia at Chennai, 2001
    After the horrendous wake-up call at Kolkata, I thought it was an aberration, and Australia would still take the series. Aargh, how wrong I was. We looked pretty out of the match when Harbhajan ran through us yet again, but at 8/130-odd, suddenly we looked a chance again. I often wonder about how things might have been so different if Dighe hadn't survived that huge LBW appeal. Just a great test match all round, and the noise level towards the end was absolutely immense.

South Africa vs Australia at Port Elizabeth, 1997
    A curiously topsy-turvy match in which the advantage swung dramatically to and fro throughout. Mark Waugh played what he called his best innings ever in conditions in which the bowlers prospered, and Ian Healy, concerned that he might run out of partners, ended the match with two wickets in hand by hitting a four and a six to win the match for Australia.

England vs Australia at Birmingham, 2005
    We all lived through this one fairly recently.

Australia vs Pakistan at Hobart, 1999
    After the teams were fairly even when their first innings' were completed, Pakistan, with the aid of a century from Inzamam set Australia an improbable 369 chase for victory. At 5/126, a predictable Pakistan victory was on the cards, but Gilchrist, in only his third test innings, gave us a preview of things to come, smacking 149 off 163 balls, and making the Pakistani bowlers look panicky and clueless as to how to stop him. With Langer, who also played an excellent innings, he took Australia all the way home and Pakistan failed to even get into the tail after removing the top order so efficiently (although, to be fair, Langer was given not-out to a thick edge to the keeper on 76).

Australia vs New Zealand at Melbourne, 1987
    Australia, thanks to a 90 from Peter Sleep (NZ had awful headaches with the tail in both innings) held a 40 run lead after the first innings, and then were set 247 for victory. But NZ fought back after Australia were looking reasonably comfortable at 5/209, and with six overs to go, Australia were 9 down for 227. Whitney and McDermott decided survival was the best option (they only had to draw to win the series), and Hadlee, who was level at the time with Ian Botham's 383 test wickets, couldn't break the pair, and they hung on for a nail-biting draw, 17 runs away from victory.

Australia vs South Africa at Adelaide, 1998
    On a docile pitch, SAF amassed 517. Mark Taylor carried his bat through Australia's entire innings to crucially avert the follow-on, while Shaun Pollock ripped through the rest of the Aussie bats to take 7/87 in 40+ overs. On the last day, Mark Waugh, who was dropped four times, made a century and held out South Africa's charge for victory. There was some controversy towards the end of the match concerning a very late not-out decision on a hit-wicket appeal, because the Saffies didn't understand the rules. This resulted in another dummy spit, this time from Cronje, who allegedly threw a stump through the door of the Australian dressing-room.

(For some reason these dummy-spits from opposition captains really appeal to me, so I can see why England supporters so enjoyed Ponting doing his block during the Ashes )
    Last edited by Slow Love™; 07-11-2005 at 11:10 AM.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    best ODI match= England v Australia 2003 world cup http://uk.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/WO...02MAR2003.htmlcan be found here

best test=England v south africa at the oval last year.

foe
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa

no Indian fan will ever forget that 1

Breakout Champion!

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    England v Australia, The Oval, September 8-12 2005. The greatest five days of my life, to conclude the greatest summer of my life. Immeasurably brilliant.

International Coach
    Not the greatest match ever by any means, but The Oval 2005 has to be my personal favourite. At one stage it looked as if the Aussies were going to knick it, what with Warne and McGrath bowling so well, and Pietersen hits us to vitory (or draw). Brilliant.

Best all round match I've ever seen though is either Edgebaston 2005, or Kolkata 2001, or Karachi 2000.
    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

U19 Debutant
    GREATEST TEST: ind vs pak chennai 1998/1999 i forget where tendy made 136 in a losing cause. If that match was made into a movie it would be one of the most nerve shredding a depressing ever, saqlains bowling, afridi's ton and tendys performance.

GREATEST ODI: ind vs eng natwest final great match, great back story etc. just great overall
    Best batsman = Rahul Dravid
    Best bowler = Muttiah Muralitharan

Maybe because I am just a couple of years older than most, I will choose the 4th Test Aust V Eng. 1982/83
    You know it makes sense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information