• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest six hitters outside the subcontinent

open365

International Vice-Captain
Hazza said:
If I remember correctly Ali Brown smashed a window during 20twenty last year...

:p
ahhhh,clasic that one,amazing how flat it was.

In a cricket magazine article i read ages ago,a lot of old players said that the biggest hit they ever saw was by Steve Waugh(it might have been mark) in Australia,anyone know the one?

Flintoff's first 6 against Brett Lee at Edgbaston was the best i've ever seen,closely followed by Kemp's baseball hit off Bond in the recent ODI series.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Blackwell is an outstanding hitter, i would say one of the biggest six-hitters in England cricket history
alas, otehr than that there isnt a great variety to his batting.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
he hit a six in the carribean against england i recall, other than that his bowling usually ends up off the square yes.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
Slats4ever said:
I'd probably argue that and say that better six hitters come from other parts of the world than the sub-continent...

Flintoff is a unit and can belt the living crap out've it.
Symonds is a strong man and can smash them to all parts.
Kluesner was amazing in his time.
Brett Lee is fantastic at lashing out.
Gilchrist is equal to dhoni at least when he wants to be (the thing that makes him so much better is that he can bat in any situation)
Mark Waugh used to be pretty elegant in smashing sixes.
The list goes on
I agree. I think there is bigger hitters outside of the sub-continent. There are some big ones but the biggest, in my opinion, are outside. Guys like Flintoff, Symonds and Klusener are probably the biggest and the hardest hitters of the ball.

Hodgo7

School Boy/Girl Captain
open365 said:
ahhhh,clasic that one,amazing how flat it was.

In a cricket magazine article i read ages ago,a lot of old players said that the biggest hit they ever saw was by Steve Waugh(it might have been mark) in Australia,anyone know the one?

Flintoff's first 6 against Brett Lee at Edgbaston was the best i've ever seen,closely followed by Kemp's baseball hit off Bond in the recent ODI series.
The best six ive seen hit was Tendulkar off McGrath in India somewhere a few years ago. McGrath bowled it on a good length just outside off stump as usual and Tendulkar just wacked it over midwicket. One of the greatest shots i reckon ive ever seen. I remember it was underlights as well.

simmy

International Regular
Harmison has a few big ones in his time! A couple against the Windies were huge.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Hodgo7 said:
The best six ive seen hit was Tendulkar off McGrath in India somewhere a few years ago. McGrath bowled it on a good length just outside off stump as usual and Tendulkar just wacked it over midwicket. One of the greatest shots i reckon ive ever seen. I remember it was underlights as well.
I saw that shot and I don't know if it's just me but I reackon Ponting hits those type of sixes all the time.. just good length balls that she puts away high over midwicket off the front foot.

As for longest hitter I would say Brett Lee...

Flintoff, Symonds, Afridi, Gilchrist, Cairns, Kemp, etc.. all hit the ball along way..

And even Lara or Ponting can really hit the ball along way when they want to as well.

I always take note of the guys who can hit the fast bowlers for six, alot of the sub-contenet guys are very good at hitting a long ball of a spinner but doing to a genuine quick like Flintoff did off Lee is something else.

Natman20

International Debutant
Wasnt there some huge ones in the recent super series. Thats the feeling i got from commentators (Only had Radio)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dwayne Smith hits the most effortless sixes I've seen. He just seems to push the ball half the time. That's why I consider him the most talented played to reach Test cricket from the West Indies since Lara. Unfortunately, he's also one of the worst.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Hodgo7 said:
Guys like Flintoff, Symonds and Klusener are probably the biggest and the hardest hitters of the ball.
Just as a side point, Klusener certainly hit some big sixes, but I sometimes felt he hit some of his fours twice as hard - they went like bullets. I don't know if I've ever seen anybody hit the ball so hard along the ground.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Just as a side point, Klusener certainly hit some big sixes, but I sometimes felt he hit some of his fours twice as hard - they went like bullets. I don't know if I've ever seen anybody hit the ball so hard along the ground.
Indeed.

One of my favourite commentary pieces ever is from the 99 semi-final, when (I think it was) Sanjay Manjrekar was commentaring in the final over. Damien Fleming bowled pretty much a perfect death ball around the wicket with 5 needed to win, and Kluesener somehow smashed it to the cover boundary. It was such an awkward shot against a ball that looked impossible to get away, and it went like a bullet. Manjrekar shouted "that's going to go to the boundary, scores level! What kind of a shot is that?! That's an unbelievable shot!"

Just the tone of utter disbelief perfectly summed up Kluesener's hitting, which was just as good anything you'll ever see.

Shoaib

Banned
ramkumar_gr said:
the subcontinent has produced some biggest hitters like Afiridi,Jayasurya,Ganguly
and now Dhoni.

But outside the subcontinent, Kemp and Chris Cairns are the names that come to my mind.

Any other players who had better six hitting abilities?
Jaysuriya & Ganguly are not that big six hitters .These r the top 10 big six hitters of subcontinent:
Shahid Afridi
MS Dhoni
Inzamam
Wasim Akram
Ajay Jadeja
javed Miandad
Tendulker
Abdul Razzaq
Shoaib Malik
Sanath Jayasuriya

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Shoaib said:
Jaysuriya & Ganguly are not that big six hitters .These r the top 10 big six hitters of subcontinent:
Shahid Afridi
MS Dhoni
Inzamam
Wasim Akram
Ajay Jadeja
javed Miandad
Tendulker
Abdul Razzaq
Shoaib Malik
Sanath Jayasuriya
Ganguly is definitely a bigger six hitter than Miandad and Tendulkar.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I recall back in 2004 when NZ played South Africa in Dunedin, Cairns hit Ntini out of Carisbrook..just smashed one straight back down the ground, right over the grandstand.

I also remember a Super Max game where Cairns hit a 6 over the old covered stand at Jade Stadium.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cairns, Flintoff, Kemp, Pietersen, Powell, Mcmillan, Pollock, Gilchrist, Lee, Astle, Oram and Bond can all hit a long ball !!!!!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't remember the last time I saw Astle hit a six. He used to hit them regularly, but these days he's far more reserved.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
Indeed.

One of my favourite commentary pieces ever is from the 99 semi-final, when (I think it was) Sanjay Manjrekar was commentaring in the final over. Damien Fleming bowled pretty much a perfect death ball around the wicket with 5 needed to win, and Kluesener somehow smashed it to the cover boundary. It was such an awkward shot against a ball that looked impossible to get away, and it went like a bullet. Manjrekar shouted "that's going to go to the boundary, scores level! What kind of a shot is that?! That's an unbelievable shot!"

Just the tone of utter disbelief perfectly summed up Kluesener's hitting, which was just as good anything you'll ever see.
Wasn't that the shot which Mark Waugh couldn't get to, even though he was like 6 yards away from the ball? We should nominate it in the greats thread.