• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The worst ever wicket keeper batsman in tests

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
ramkumar_gr said:
R Blakey of England is also a candidate.
Actually, he could bat, but he didn't have a clue against India's spinners in his only couple of tests over there.

I surprised the usual suspects haven't mentioned Tsolekile yet.

simmy

International Regular
Not sure.. but it has to be said that the standard in International cricket of keeper batsmen is excellent at the moment IMO.

Look at Gilchrist, Sangakarrand, McCullum and Boucher for example.. an impressive list.

Partiv Patil?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
Herbert Strudwick
A little unfair on one of the greatest-ever wicketkeepers to have played the game.

He was picked to keep wicket, and was never considered to be a wicketkeeper-batsman. Of course, he'd never get a game nowadays.

(because he's dead)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
ramkumar_gr said:
He was a very poor keeper but he was very good with the bat. In fact he saved a test for India in RSA scoring 70 plus.
I mis-read the purpose of this thread. I thought it was worst keeping skill in an international keeper, for some reason. :blink:

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
jesushatesyou said:
I mis-read the purpose of this thread. I thought it was worst keeping skill in an international keeper, for some reason. :blink:
The purpose is to find out the worst wicket keeper batsman only irrespective of his keeping skills.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
he kapt for Yorks for years didn't he, he cant have been that bad.
That's because the Yorkshire committee were too tight to get rid of him.

They'd have had to pay redundancy money.

"Ow much? I'm not payin' that. Purrim in t'side."

chalky

International Debutant
wpdavid said:
Actually, he could bat, but he didn't have a clue against India's spinners in his only couple of tests over there.

I surprised the usual suspects haven't mentioned Tsolekile yet.
Yes he also gets the award for a wicketkeepers most embarrassing dismissal when he was bowled by Simon Jones' slower ball in the first test at PE.

After years of counceling I've managed to erase Chris Reed's from my memory so that doesn't count.