• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India

Deja moo

International Captain
GermanShepherd said:
Bit surprised Dravid put Saffers in....I would have preferred to bat and have them chase a big total against our spinners.
dew, dew and more dew. Spinners suffer when theres dew.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
What-A-Player said:
Live LEGAL Commentary

link deleted
No, it isn't legal. Cricinfo charges for their service - paying the fee and listening is legal - so linking to it and allowing people to access it without paying the fee is not.

irfan

State Captain
GermanShepherd said:
What's going on ??????

6-104 after 34 overs ......is the pitch that bad ?
nope just quality spin bowling on a surface thats gripping. Kartik doing esp well

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Kemp is going to really have to let loose in the last five if SA are going to make a game out of this one. Some very slow scoring from them, even between overs 40-45.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Great effort by Pathan early removing Devilliers, Smith and Kallis. Spinners did the job afer that. Top performance, let's hope we chase down this 170 required and square the series.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pathan now introducing the concept of the "pinch-blocker" - he's 6*(18) so far, batting number three. India should wrap this up fairly easily to be honest, especially with Gambhir looking comfortable and the likes of Sehwag, Dravid, Dhoni, Kaif and Yuvraj to come.

Thinking about it, that's an immense top 8 - if they played RP Singh as the supersub instead of Gambhir and didn't promote Pathan the top 8 would have read:

Gambhir
Tendulkar
Sehwag
Dravid
Kaif
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Pathan

7 of whom have ODI centuries to their name, and the 8th hit an 80-odd a few weeks back, so we can assume that he's not too far away from being capable of a century, either. I fear for England in the ODIs in March.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Top effort by the bowlers..Gambhir seemed to be playing well before getting run out.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
Can someone describe Pathan's batting, in general and right now? Good technique? Or just flashy?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The decision to send Sehwag in the middle order is dumb. Look at how he's been scratching. He's an attacking batsman, who's been at his best in the early overs, against the openign bowlers. Now he's had to do sometihng he's not used to- hang around and buld a long partnership, very cautiously. Now that's weakened the middle-order. Sehwag is an opener, and he shouls stay one. He's never looked good in the middle-order, and still doesn't.

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
Didn't Sehwag begin as a middle order batsman?

Anyway, from what I gather, Chappel, Dravid and co are experimenting different techniques before WC to figure out the best way to utilize their resources.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
pug said:
Can someone describe Pathan's batting, in general and right now? Good technique? Or just flashy?
In general, he has a very good technique...comparable to any batsman, not just lower-order batsmen. His batting could really be excellent if given the change to prosper.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
He's an attacking batsman, who's been at his best in the early overs, against the openign bowlers.
When was the last time he scored some decent runs @ as an opener. 8-) I think it is a great decision to put SRT(who likes to open) & Gambhir (who seems to be in good touch) as openers and IMO it is a smart move by Dravid. Sehwag is paying for his inconsistency and I am glad that his failure is being noticed by the team management and he better start performing..

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Sehwag is paying for his inconsistency and I am glad that his failure is being noticed by the team management and he better start performing..
I still think its just experimentation without any relation to the player's form or preference. But I can in no way substantiate myself.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:
When was the last time he scored some decent runs @ as an opener. 8-) I think it is a great decision to put SRT(who likes to open) & Gambhir (who seems to be in good touch) as openers and IMO it is a smart move by Dravid. Sehwag is paying for his inconsistency and I am glad that his failure is being noticed by the team management and he better start performing..
When has Sehwag ever done well in the middle-order when pushed down? They tried it at least five times, and it was a dud. If he can't score as an opener, what can he do in a position he's not used to?

Anyway, that's dreadful running that got Irfan run-out.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dasa said:
In general, he has a very good technique...comparable to any batsman, not just lower-order batsmen. His batting could really be excellent if given the change to prosper.
A pity he takes one risk too many. If he tries to challenge the fielders a lot less, he can make at least one century. He can fulfil the role of striker well, one missing in the Indian team for a long time, and he's certainly a lot better than Agarkar.

Last edited: