• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Retrospect Rest of World ODI Squad

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
I didn't overlook Tresco entirely, it was more so that I ran out of opener positions. I chose Gayle to be a keeper for his added option of effectively slowing down the pace of a game as well as his opening ability. Smith I put ahead of all the other openers and again don't know why he was overlooked at all for ODI's, given he has an average in the 60's against Australia in that form of the game. Sehwag I suppose I could have dropped for Tresco, but his recent scores against Australia in ODI's of 16, 6, 11* and 6 in the NatWest series meant he didn't appeal to me when it comes to ODI form. Sehwag is purely lucky in that he hasn't faced Aussie too recently so I can't judge him in a similar manner. Personally, I'd rather Gibbs and Smith to top the order, but Gibbs is obviously injured.

I don't think Tresco gets "no credit whatsoever" - he is in the top ten ODI batsmen going by the ICC player rankings.
I didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of overlooking him mate, sorry - it was more a general thing rather than anyone specific. Although he did hit a hundred against Australia in the innings before the ones you mentioned, I think. He certainly hit one hundred in ODIs against Aus this year, and he hit 80-odd in the Champions Trophy semi against them last year, so he's proven he can do it against the best.

Anyway, I'm probably a little biased because he's a Zoiderman and I've met him 3 times, so what do I know. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loony BoB said:
Is this still the squad you'd have chosen had you known the performances that they would give (eg. Kallis, Dravid, Pietersen, Pollock)? Or do you think they would have performed better with different players?

EDIT: Also, a lack of Vettori - why drop the best ROWXI bowler of the ODI series? "Lack of box office draw"? For clarification -I'm not talking about box office, I'm talking about picking the best players for the job, here. Although you do only have eleven players rather than the 12 needed for a side or 14 needed for a squad, to be fair, so you can still throw a few more names in there. Also, should I assume you'll be bowling Gayle 10 overs, or will Kallis and Gayle share some? You only have four obvious bowlers.
I make these selections completely ignoring what's happened. I wouldn't have picked Vettori and I'm not allowing hindsight to change that.
There's a place for Kallis, Dravid, Pietersen and Pollock even though all have been diabolical, and I'd willingly pick them again if there was another series immidately afterwards.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Or more likely because he's not one of the best bowlers around.
No, almost everyone recognises him as one of the better ODI bowlers around - he just doesn't have the box-office draw of Shoaib.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
i would pick Collingwood over him for a game vs Australia
Because Collingwood (who averages 27 against Australia) would clearly be a better pick than Marshall (who averages nearly 10 more).
Not to mention that Marshall's record is also better against the other 6 ODI-standard sides put together.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
Point of interest, Yousef Youhana no longer exists as a player, he's converted to Islam from Christianity and I think he's now referring to himself as Mohammad Yousef. :)
Eh? When did he convert himself? He was certainly a Christian in 2000\01.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:
I didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you of overlooking him mate, sorry - it was more a general thing rather than anyone specific. Although he did hit a hundred against Australia in the innings before the ones you mentioned, I think. He certainly hit one hundred in ODIs against Aus this year, and he hit 80-odd in the Champions Trophy semi against them last year, so he's proven he can do it against the best.

Anyway, I'm probably a little biased because he's a Zoiderman and I've met him 3 times, so what do I know. :p
He's always scored some runs against Aus in ODIs - he made 69 in his 1st innings against them.

C_C

International Captain
Richard said:
Eh? When did he convert himself? He was certainly a Christian in 2000\01.

He was a christian much later than that. I think he converted like a month or so ago.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, he was a Christian in 2000\01 - he crossed himself upon reaching a century vs England at The Gaddafi Stadium, and the commentators mentioned that he was the only Christian in the side.
And whenever he captained Pakistan for the first time he was the first Christian to captain them.

C_C

International Captain
Richard said:
No, he was a Christian in 2000\01 - he crossed himself upon reaching a century vs England at The Gaddafi Stadium, and the commentators mentioned that he was the only Christian in the side.
And whenever he captained Pakistan for the first time he was the first Christian to captain them.
He obviously was a christian in 2000/01 if he converted around a month ago ( this is Oct, 2005) 8-)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Richard said:
He's always scored some runs against Aus in ODIs - he made 69 in his 1st innings against them.
That's true, I forgot about that. Can be an infuriating player at times because of his lead feet, but can also be a bloody brilliant one too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
People usually forget that Trescothick has always scored some runs against Aus in ODIs because his Test record against them was so poor in 2001 and 2002\03.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
He obviously was a christian in 2000/01 if he converted around a month ago ( this is Oct, 2005) 8-)
Except that he didn't convert around a month ago.
He may have changed his name around a month ago, but he was a Christian in 2000\01.

C_C

International Captain
Richard said:
He may have changed his name around a month ago, but he was a Christian in 2000\01.
According to reports carried by Crickinfo and subcontinental newspapers, he officially converted around a month or so ago.
Which obviously means that he was a Christian in 2000/01.
8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Why repeat what CC said?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
According to reports carried by Crickinfo and subcontinental newspapers, he officially converted around a month or so ago.
Which obviously means that he was a Christian in 2000/01.
8-)
Quite what "official conversion" involves I don't know, all I know is that Youhana made perfectly public displays of Christianity in 2000\01, and clearly plenty of people knew he was a Christian in those days - and certainly did when he became captain.

C_C

International Captain
Quite what "official conversion" involves I don't know, all I know is that Youhana made perfectly public displays of Christianity in 2000\01, and clearly plenty of people knew he was a Christian in those days - and certainly did when he became captain.

You have a way of overly complicating things ( no offence intended).
The matter is simple - Youhana converted to Islam a month or so ago. This is OCT 2005, which means a month or so ago, he was a Christian.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Yes, we know that. As has been posted.

He was a Christian in 2001.

That meant he was still Christian in 2002.

And 2003.

Then 2004.

Then he converted to Islam last month.

Gah...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Misread the original PY comment - "converted from Christianity to Islam" as "converted from Islam to Christianity".
So... that solves that problem. :)

Loony BoB

International Captain
Richard said:
I wouldn't have picked Vettori and I'm not allowing hindsight to change that.
Well that defeats the purpose of this thread, considering it's a "retrospect" thread, as if we knew what was going to happen with the players etc. :p