• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best young Batsman in World Cricket today

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Yet you derided the "in control" thing that Cricinfo look at...
Yes, because there is far, far more that is possible to debate about that.
A "chance" either is one or it isn't - there are all sorts of things that contribute to a delivery which might make it appear "not in control" when in all likelihood it was.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Yes, because there is far, far more that is possible to debate about that.
A "chance" either is one or it isn't - there are all sorts of things that contribute to a delivery which might make it appear "not in control" when in all likelihood it was.
A chance is not clear cut. When you finally realise that then you will realise that made up numbers using it are random.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Except that I won't realise that.
Something either is a chance or it isn't. Simple as.
Very, very occasionally it will be impossible to decide.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Except that I won't realise that.
Something either is a chance or it isn't. Simple as.
Very, very occasionally it will be impossible to decide.
I don't know about very, very occasionally. I would say maybe one in twenty chances are harder than "a very difficult chance". You have fielders drop absolute sitters, but then you may have a Symonds, for instance, diving for a catch and getting a finger to it. He has "dropped" a catch. However, someone less spritely (eg. Mark Richardson) would get nowhere near it - has the batsman still given "a chance"?. It is far too subjective from my point of view. I have always been of the opinion that a straightforward chance that is missed is a dropped catch, a catch that could (not should) have been taken is usually still a good piece of fielding, and a catch that could have been taken and is: priceless.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Simply: if Symonds is there, it is a chance. If Richardson was there... it isn't.
Different fielders have different athleticisms - it's not all about the hands.
Once you get a decent shot at catching it, it's a chance.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Simply: if Symonds is there, it is a chance. If Richardson was there... it isn't.
Different fielders have different athleticisms - it's not all about the hands.
Once you get a decent shot at catching it, it's a chance.
Hang on.

Isn't the -entire- point of your little exercise with first chance averages to stop batsmen from benefitting from the incompetence of the opposition in the field?

Yet, you're saying if a team is completely rubbish in the field and they can't even get to the ball half the time, the batsman is actually giving -less- chances than he would against a better fielding side that makes "chances" out of non-chances?

Explain then how it is that a batsman didn't do anything wrong if he skies the ball and the fielder doesn't get anywhere near it when a better fielder might have (see Mick Lewis in the third VB Series final), but if he hits a rocket through the off side and a Paul Collingwood or Michael Clarke gets a finger on it, he's commited a mortal sin and we must pretend he was dismissed.

open365

International Vice-Captain
danish said:
He's yet to play quality spin bowling, he's made a name for himself so far by playing England and India, and made a century against West Indies.
I suppose...

But being the best young player shouldn't be about past records,it should be about the future,and what they have the ability and potential to do.

I see something in Akmal that makes me believe that he'll be a great player,and i'm not going to hide my opinion because he hasn't played against quality spin yet.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hang on.

Isn't the -entire- point of your little exercise with first chance averages to stop batsmen from benefitting from the incompetence of the opposition in the field?

Yet, you're saying if a team is completely rubbish in the field and they can't even get to the ball half the time, the batsman is actually giving -less- chances than he would against a better fielding side that makes "chances" out of non-chances?

Explain then how it is that a batsman didn't do anything wrong if he skies the ball and the fielder doesn't get anywhere near it when a better fielder might have (see Mick Lewis in the third VB Series final), but if he hits a rocket through the off side and a Paul Collingwood or Michael Clarke gets a finger on it, he's commited a mortal sin and we must pretend he was dismissed.
Please. For the love of [INSERT DEITY OF CHOICE], don't do it. :cry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hang on.

If a fielder is poor the batsman knows about this.
Once a ball goes in the air and a fieldsman gets to it, the batsman has no control of the situation.
If anyone gets a finger on something, incidentally, it's not a chance, because the finger does not catch the cricket-ball.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
If a fielder is poor the batsman knows about this.
Once a ball goes in the air and a fieldsman gets to it, the batsman has no control of the situation.
If anyone gets a finger on something, incidentally, it's not a chance, because the finger does not catch the cricket-ball.
gotta admit that last 2 lines sounds a bit iffy..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What?
You've seen someone catch a cricket-ball with a finger, have you?
With a ball travelling at reasonable pace you need at the very least the ball to hit in the middle of the fingers (and ideally in the palms) to have a chance of it staying there.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
danish said:
He's yet to play quality spin bowling, he's made a name for himself so far by playing England and India, and made a century against West Indies.
quality spin or quality pace? He has already proven himself against India, which has the best spin attack in the world, IMHO.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've answered most things and I've answered that one.
Yes, you've provided answers. If I ask someone what the moon's made of and they say "Cheese!", that's an answer too.