• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knighthoods In Cricket

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
What my point is that is a bit quick to give somebody a knighthood straight away, maybe when he has left his job then to decide if he has earnt it or not?
But in doing what he did, he arguably did deserve it.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I remember this cropping up in the forum a while back, but can't remember the exact details. IIRC there's a lot of WI batsmen that were knighted, especially in the 50's, 60's and 70's and relatively few Englishmen in the same period. I just think perceptions of cricet and its place in ther world have changed hugely since then, and I can't see any cricketers becoming "Sir"s nowadays.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Even if all things were equal and Aussies could get knighted, Warne's extracurricular activities would probably rule him out.

Ritchie Benaud deserves it more than anyone, after that Sir Viv; but Sir Duncan looks most likely.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
vladiator said:
But does it preclude an Australian from being knighted? It is England giving the status, not Australia.

The 'BE' at the end stands for 'British Empire'.

The only 'Empire' I know is the cinema on the sea front at Redcar (some fishy Teessider correct me if I'm wrong) so one can assume that they never got round to re-naming it 'Commonwealth'.

Any Commonwealth citizen could earn/be given/buy (that's the political support one) a knighthood - perhaps it's changed.

Last edited: