• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South African domestic season 2005/6

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hopefully this won't be so poorly attended it vanishes off the face of the map, so Dean and Jot get contributing!

SuperSport series kicks off on the 20th October, my home team the Warriors host the cape cobras so will probably post some photos in this thread.. And then of course we have the trip to finals week which will make a good b'day present :D

Standard Bank Cup kicks off on November 25th with the Eagle's looking to defend their title..

I think the team to beat this season are the Titans with the likes of Rudolph and AB de Villiers in their ranks.. lets hope the rain stays away, and the beer flows readily :cool:

Last edited:

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Warriors
Coach: Russell Domingo (former SA u/19 coach; takes over from Mickey Arthur)
Captain: Justin Kreusch, probably
National Players: Makhaya Ntini, Mark Boucher
Possible Star Players: Johan Botha, Dumisa Makalima, Tyron Henderson, Arno Jacobs
Gains: None (sad, isn't it)
Losses: Johann Louw (Eagles), Nantie Hayward (Dolphins), Pieter Strydom (retirement), Monde Zondeki (WPB)

Dolphins
Coach: Phil Russell
Captain: Lance Klusener
National Players: Shaun Pollock
Possible Star Players: Imraan Khan, Kyle Smit (very talented), Lance Klusener, Nantie Hayward, Jon Kent, Ugasen Govender
Gains: Nantie Hayward
Losses: None

Eagles
Coach: Corrie van Zyl
Captain: Morne van Wyk
National Players: Boeta Dippenaar, Jacques Rudolph, Nicky Boje
Possible Star Players: Cliffe Deacon, Davy Jacobs, Ryan Bailey, Benji Hector, Morne van Wyk, Loots Bosman, Thandi Tshabalala, Johann Louw, Johan van der Wath
Gains: Jacques Rudolph, Johann Louw

Lions
Coach: Gordon Parsons (replaces Shukri Conrad)
Captain: Possibly Neil McKenzie or HD Ackerman
National Players: Andrew Hall, Charl Langeveldt
Possible Star Players: Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Neil McKenzie, Stephen Cook, David Terbrugge, Garnett Kruger, Enoch Nkwe
Gains: None

Titans
Coach: Richard Pybus (replacing Dave Nosworthy)
Captain: Justin Kemp
National Players: AB de Villiers, Justin Kemp, Dale Steyn, Andre Nel
Possible Star Players: Paul Harris, Kruger van Wyk, Ethy Mbhalathi, Alviro Petersen, Pierre & Zander de Bruyn, Gerald Dros, Morne & Albie Morkel, Alfonso Thomas
Gains: None
Losses: Jacques Rudolph (Eagles)

Western Province/Boland
Coach: Shukri Conrad (replacing Peter Kirsten)
Captain: Thami Tsolekile, Ashwell Prince and Graeme Smith (rotational)
National Players: Herschelle Gibbs, Jacques Kallis, Ashwell Prince, Graeme Smith, Monde Zondeki
Possible Star Players: Derrin Bassage, JP Duminy, Quinton Friend, William Hantam, Ian Harvey, Rory Kleinveldt, Vernon Philander, Andrew Puttick, Monde Zondeki
Gains: Monde Zondeki (Warriors), Ian Harvey (Overseas Player - Aus)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I know very little about SA domestic cricket, but it seems from the above squads that WPB have by far the strongest side when all are available.

Smith
Gibbs
Kallis
Prince
Puttick
Duminy
Harvey
Friend
Kleinveldt (don't actually know who he is...)
Philander (or him!)
Zondeki

Looks good to me.

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Kleinveldt and Philander are both allrounders and, although they didn't get a huge amount of game time, they both looked pretty good. Duminy is a very talented player, but he injured his hand during the SA A tour to Sri Lanka. Hopefully it won't keep him out for too long. Without the national players, WPB need him.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Protea said:
Kleinveldt and Philander are both allrounders and, although they didn't get a huge amount of game time, they both looked pretty good. Duminy is a very talented player, but he injured his hand during the SA A tour to Sri Lanka. Hopefully it won't keep him out for too long. Without the national players, WPB need him.
Didn't Duminy play a few ODIs against Sri Lanka last year, during SA's horrible losing run?

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yes he did play a few ODIs against Sri Lanka last year...he didn't do terribly (considering he batted in all the wrong positions) and he bowled quite well. He probably would have been selected against England if he didn't get injured at the beginning of last season. AB got selected ahead of him and all the better for us, I guess!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Langeveldt said:
I think the team to beat this season are the Titans with the likes of Rudolph and AB de Villiers in their ranks.. lets hope the rain stays away, and the beer flows readily :cool:
They also have the likes of Morne Morkel, so that's 10-0-81-2 (19nb) for the opposition to enjoy!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Didn't know that Strydom had retired, or that we'd let Wayward Hayward go to the Dolphins.. Maybe thats a good thing :)

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hmmm it just might be...our fast bowlers (bar Henderson) were terrible during the Pro20. They used to put us in such a horrible position which our spinners had to drag us out of. I would have loved to see Zondeki still play for the Warriors but the move to WP is better for his career, I suppose.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Protea said:
Hmmm it just might be...our fast bowlers (bar Henderson) were terrible during the Pro20. They used to put us in such a horrible position which our spinners had to drag us out of. I would have loved to see Zondeki still play for the Warriors but the move to WP is better for his career, I suppose.
I hope Henderson plays for South Africa, not that there is much of a vacancy for him at the moment..

And I wouldn't read too much into Pro 20!

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah neither would I but it does show you how they might bowl at the death of an innings and, well, most of them would bowl really badly ;)

Henderson has played well over the last couple of seasons and he cracked the SA "A" side for their tour to Sri Lanka but I doubt he'd get anywhere near the national squad unless Kemp gets injured or something. Mickey Arthur, being his former coach, rates him pretty highly so he's always in with a chance.

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
The Warriors have announced their new captain...Robin Peterson, which will make my principal pretty happy considering Peterson's an Alex old boy.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Protea said:
The Warriors have announced their new captain...Robin Peterson, which will make my principal pretty happy considering Peterson's an Alex old boy.
That was inevitable, lets hope he doesnt bowl himself too much :D

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
He captained during some of the one day games last season...and he did bowl himself more than anyone would have advised him to.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Protea said:
He captained during some of the one day games last season...and he did bowl himself more than anyone would have advised him to.
I'd rather have Strydom bowling! Shame he's retired

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
He was actually quite an effective bowler, but he didn't really play all that often last season either. Good leader, too.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Protea said:
He was actually quite an effective bowler, but he didn't really play all that often last season either. Good leader, too.
And I take it we don't have any overseas players in the pipeline, especially with Mark B and Makhaya on intl. duty.. Harvey will do well at WPB..

Can't believe Rudolph is off to Bloem!

Protea

School Boy/Girl Captain
We had James Bryant playing as an overseas player a couple of seasons ago because of Kolpak but he seems to have faded off the radar a bit.He last played for EP (as it was then) in the 2003/2004 season. I think he plays for Derbyshire now.