• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Post Ashes Blueprint

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
mavric41 said:
I think there are a lot of commercial interests which keep Lee in the team.
Except for most of the last two years he WASN'T in the team. How long have they been "keeping" him in there exactly? Two weeks?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Why can't people just accept Lee will never have an excellent average, will never take bucket-loads of wickets (unless the pitch is a minefield)? He's a gutsy, lively bowler but he's had enough chances now, I can't see him improving to the level you all desire for him; so I reckon one should either accept it and stick with him, or just drop him and go with the Taitmeister.
As an ENG fan I know Hoggy will run in all day if required, will get wickets in swinging conditions, get bugger all wickets without them, and will most probably end up with an average of 30 at the back of it all; I accept it.
I think Lee has more potential to lower his average actually. I don't think he's ever likely to be the kind of guy who averages 20 odd on flat wickets, but he can certainly be a lot better than he has been lately, as he showed in patches during the Ashes series. Put simply, if he bowled the way he did in the second innings at Trent Bridge more often, he'd be a lot more successful than he is bowling like he did in the first innings at Edgbaston. I think it's worth giving him a few more series, because he has indeed shown some improvement over the last couple of years and may yet translate it into better test results. If he continues to struggle, bringing someone like Bracken or Macgill in for him would be a prudent move.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think Lee has more potential to lower his average actually. I don't think he's ever likely to be the kind of guy who averages 20 odd on flat wickets, but he can certainly be a lot better than he has been lately, as he showed in patches during the Ashes series. Put simply, if he bowled the way he did in the second innings at Trent Bridge more often, he'd be a lot more successful than he is bowling like he did in the first innings at Edgbaston. I think it's worth giving him a few more series, because he has indeed shown some improvement over the last couple of years and may yet translate it into better test results. If he continues to struggle, bringing someone like Bracken or Macgill in for him would be a prudent move.
If Lee has a shocker in the Super Series (like I expect) I really think we should be looking for someone else for the Windies series with early Pura Cup form as a guide. If he does play in the Windies/South Africa series and doesn't perform, that should be it AFAIC.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Except for most of the last two years he WASN'T in the team. How long have they been "keeping" him in there exactly? Two weeks?
Being 12th man and touring kept him in the limelight. He is one of the most marketed cricketers in the Australian team.

howardj

International Coach
I think part of the immediate 'post-Ashes blueprint' for Australia is that they are going to be working much harder at their skills. Already the players have been ordered to play club cricket, and I get the feeling - with Border and Taylor conducting the post tour review - that there's going to be recommendations that they do a hell of a lot more practical, skills related work, than what was done on the Ashes tour.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
If Lee has a shocker in the Super Series (like I expect).
Kyle we should be encouraging our players & hope for the best yo, this negative talk is not good...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
aussie said:
Kyle we should be encouraging our players & hope for the best yo, this negative talk is not good...
What is the point when they consistently don't do well yo? And when they can't hear what you say yo?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
What is the point when they consistently don't do well yo? And when they can't hear what you say yo?
has i have said time & time again he should encourage Lee because he has showed signs of improving despite averaging 40. Has faaip said if he could bowl more like he did in the 2nd innings at TB rather than the 1st innings at edgbaston he would do much better in tests, which i strongly maintain & believe will be the case.

greg

International Debutant
aussie said:
has i have said time & time again he should encourage Lee because he has showed signs of improving despite averaging 40. Has faaip said if he could bowl more like he did in the 2nd innings at TB rather than the 1st innings at edgbaston he would do much better in tests, which i strongly maintain & believe will be the case.
Yep, but I don't think that's going to happen. All his best spells in this series were when he was in a situation of knowing that he didn't have to save anything for later in the day/innings/match - always in the second innings, and always on the point of no return for Australian chances.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
Why should we be encouraging mediocre players to stay in the test side?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
Well we had to put up with the likes of Hick, Ramprakash etc. for years, so it's only fair ;)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
Yep, but I don't think that's going to happen. All his best spells in this series were when he was in a situation of knowing that he didn't have to save anything for later in the day/innings/match - always in the second innings, and always on the point of no return for Australian chances.
no not all the time he bowled pretty well in the 1st innings at lord's & OT, and even if most of his good bowling performances were in situations where he knew what he had to do, what exactly is that saying???

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
yes he may be a mediocre test bowler now, but again i say i strongly believe that will all change come this home summer.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think dropping Martyn is the dumbest decision taken by any selection committee this year, yes, including the Indian ones keeping Sourav captain.

Mister Wright

aussie said:
yes he may be a mediocre test bowler now, but again i say i strongly believe that will all change come this home summer.
What makes you believe that. He's at his best when he bowls a full length at the stumps consistently, but he hardly ever does that. Whenever things aren't working for him he just drops it in short and gets pounded (which he did plenty of in the Ashes series).