• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's Post Ashes Blueprint

Tom Halsey

International Coach
aussie said:
1. Again situation of the game at that stage if i'm write listening on the radio in school he went back to McGrath, Ponting just didn't trust the youngster at that stage he was always going to bowl Pigeon/Lee/Warne for most of the day, most captains would have done the same so it would be wrong to say Ponting doesn't rate him.

2. lets say Tait had played like 10-15 tests before the oval ponting would have bowl him more...
Whether it was the situation or not, it was a big mistake.

We've all said it, if he's been picked as a bowler, what's the point of him playing if he's not going to be trusted?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Whether it was the situation or not, it was a big mistake.

We've all said it, if he's been picked as a bowler, what's the point of him playing if he's not going to be trusted?
1. How could it?? those 3 could have easily restricted England if all catches were taken

2. Prior to that innings Ponting went to Tait pretty normally has the 4th bowler option so it has nothing to do with that, its just the situation.....

greg

International Debutant
aussie said:
I think otherwise dawg...
What is all this "dawg" and "mayn"? Are these common Australian terms of addressing people, or just something that Australians say in Manchester?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
What is all this "dawg" and "mayn"? Are these common Australian terms of addressing people, or just something that Australians say in Manchester?
no its slangs that black people use to address people in Manchester :D , come on mate gotta come to terms with the runnings yo...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
1. Again situation of the game at that stage if i'm write listening on the radio in school he went back to McGrath, Ponting just didn't trust the youngster at that stage he was always going to bowl Pigeon/Lee/Warne for most of the day, most captains would have done the same so it would be wrong to say Ponting doesn't rate him.
What rubbish.

If he wasn't to be trusted, why was he in the side in the first place?

To decide to only bowl 3 of the 4 man attack for a day clearly shows you don't rate the 4th man in the attack.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
1. How could it?? those 3 could have easily restricted England if all catches were taken

The way Lee bowled there was no hope of restricting England, and that is what we're talking about (ie after the drops)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
greg said:
I think he's trying to sound "cool"...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
What rubbish.

If he wasn't to be trusted, why was he in the side in the first place?

To decide to only bowl 3 of the 4 man attack for a day clearly shows you don't rate the 4th man in the attack.
has i posted above prior to that innings Ponting used Tait as the regular 4th bowler option its all came down to the situation, it was an very important day for Australia & i wasn't surprised that Tait didn't bowl much, has i said before also if it were Vaughan in that situation & Tremlett has played he would have bowled Harmy/hoggy/Freddie/Gilo more & Tremlett would have been underused. You guys are trying to make it sound as if Ponting doesn't rate Tait period at all if that were so would he have bigged him up so much prior to the TB test???? geeeeez

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If Ponting rated him, he'd have given him a chance to show it during the day.

Especially as Lee was bowling tripe after lunch.

The equivalent situation with Vaughan is different (for a start he's picking from 5 bowlers and is known for being able to hide someone who's not bowling so well) - but I'm damn sure that he'd give a bowler more than 5 overs in that length of innings.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:

The equivalent situation with Vaughan is different (for a start he's picking from 5 bowlers and is known for being able to hide someone who's not bowling so well) - but I'm damn sure that he'd give a bowler more than 5 overs in that length of innings.
Yeah, exactly. Australia were playing that last innings with only 2 bowlers really. Lee was terrible on that last day and was only bowled because (as much as Ponting tried) Warne & McGrath couldn't bowl all day. When Lee was bowling crap, Tait should have been given the ball and considering he was fresh he should have been given the 2nd new ball with McGrath.

irfan

State Captain
agreed. tait was vastly underused considering he is an explosive wicket taker. But think back to the situaiton in edgbaston when flintoff and harmy were trying to bounce out kaspa and lee. Admittedly it worked, belatedly, but s jones is a far better option for the tailenders in that situation.
Now y didnt Vaughany bowl him, it's cos he doesn't wholeheartedly trust him to deliver - same as ponting's situation with tait. So aussie does have a point.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

fair enoguh but i dont like the term doesn't ``RATE`` him yo, if he didn't he woudn't have bigged the lad up before the TB test or practically wouldn't have wanted him in the team.... , its more like Ponting just didn't trust him enough to bowl in the pressure situation of that important last day.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Please tell me what captain isn't going to talk up a young bowler selected to make his Test debut?

Not even Ricky is going to say "Yeah, well we're scraping the barrel here because Gillespie and Kaspa and useless at the moment. In all honesty, Shaun only came for the experience and now we've got to play him"

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Not even Ricky is going to say "Yeah, well we're scraping the barrel here because Gillespie and Kaspa and useless at the moment. In all honesty, Shaun only came for the experience and now we've got to play him"
Even if it is true. :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Please tell me what captain isn't going to talk up a young bowler selected to make his Test debut?

1. Yea

2. What thats wild statement got to do with anything i've been saying?