Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66

Thread: World 14-man Test Squad

  1. #1
    International Coach adharcric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    10,898

    World 14-man Test Squad

    With performance over the past two years, overall talent and class as the considerations, what do you think of this 14-man World Test Squad?

    Ricky Ponting* (AUS)
    Rahul Dravid (IND)
    Sachin Tendulkar (IND)
    Brian Lara (WI)
    Virender Sehwag (IND)
    Graeme Smith (RSA)
    Jacques Kallis (RSA)
    Andrew Flintoff (ENG)
    Adam Gilchrist+ (AUS)
    Shaun Pollock (RSA)
    Shoaib Akhtar (PAK)
    Glenn McGrath (AUS)
    Muttiah Muralitharan (SL)
    Shane Warne (AUS)

    Suggest any necessary changes to the squad and then proceed with the real challenge: pick the final XI batting lineup.

  2. #2
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    With performance over the past two years, overall talent and class as the considerations, what do you think of this 14-man World Test Squad?

    Ricky Ponting* (AUS)
    Rahul Dravid (IND)
    Sachin Tendulkar (IND)
    Brian Lara (WI)
    Virender Sehwag (IND)
    Graeme Smith (RSA)
    Jacques Kallis (RSA)
    Andrew Flintoff (ENG)
    Adam Gilchrist+ (AUS)
    Shaun Pollock (RSA)
    Shoaib Akhtar (PAK)
    Glenn McGrath (AUS)
    Muttiah Muralitharan (SL)
    Shane Warne (AUS)

    Suggest any necessary changes to the squad and then proceed with the real challenge: pick the final XI batting lineup.
    1. I would have Inzemaam even if it meant making it a 15 member squad.
    2. I would prefer Harmison to Shoaib.
    3. I would consider Strauss before Sehwag and Smith as opener.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    15,695
    And I am not sure if Ponting should be captain. I would rather have Gilchrist as captain.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  4. #4
    U19 12th Man Lyell_Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    245
    the team i'd like to see play is

    Gilly
    Tendulker
    Ponting
    Dravid
    Lara
    Flintoff
    Kallis
    Warne
    Murali
    Akhtar
    McGrath

    If i made any changes to the squad in would be Bond in for Akhtar
    50 cent is only half the dollar he could be
    MSN is warriors_fan@hotmail.com
    Manchester United, The All Blacks, The Black Caps and The Sydney Roosters All rock

    Deja Moo's avater gives me nightmares


  5. #5
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyell_Chris

    If i made any changes to the squad in would be Bond in for Akhtar
    I stand corrected

    Bond and not Harmison for Akhtar

  6. #6
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,785
    If it's the last 2 years play, I can't see how Tendulkar gets in to be honest.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  7. #7
    U19 12th Man Lyell_Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    245
    cose he is the best batsmen in the world

  8. #8
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,785
    He was once, maybe (I can't separate him and Lara)

    But not now, by a long stretch of the imagination.

  9. #9
    U19 12th Man Lyell_Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    245
    you can't tell how good he is at the moment

    if fully fit and seeing it well he is the best I think

  10. #10
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,172
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    3. I would consider Strauss before Sehwag and Smith as opener.
    Really? Now I'm as big a fan of Strauss as any (bar probably many of the English I expect ) but you rate Strauss a better opener than Sehwag?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  11. #11
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Really? Now I'm as big a fan of Strauss as any (bar probably many of the English I expect ) but you rate Strauss a better opener than Sehwag?
    Yes on current form and for tests.

    PS I am aware that the last time he played tests (in March against Pakistan) he scored nearly 500 runs in 3 tests. But I am influenced by his terrible form in most of what he has played since , which to be fair to him, has been all one dayers.
    Last edited by SJS; 10-09-2005 at 01:48 AM.

  12. #12
    Banned Shoaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyell_Chris
    cose he is the best batsmen in the world
    Lara is a million times better batsman than Tendulkar.Tendulkar has never played a match winning innings so i dont consider him to be a great player.Tendulkar isnt even best in India because Rahul "The Wall" Dravid stands first and probably there is no batsman in the world better than Dravid followed by Brian Lara Lara.And Strauss and Inzamam should be in for Smith and Kallis respectivly.
    Last edited by Shoaib; 10-09-2005 at 06:12 AM.

  13. #13
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Yes on current form and for tests.

    PS I am aware that the last time he played tests (in March against Pakistan) he scored nearly 500 runs in 3 tests. But I am influenced by his terrible form in most of what he has played since , which to be fair to him, has been all one dayers.
    Strauss on the other hand has scored two centuries in his last three tests, all being in a series still going on so most current and both centuries against an attack that contained the best new ball attack and arguably the best spinner in the world. I do not see who has better credentials than Strauss at this point of time for opening on current form.

  14. #14
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoaib
    Lara is a million times better batsman than Tendulkar.
    Only a million ??

  15. #15
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    1. I would have Inzemaam even if it meant making it a 15 member squad.
    2. I would prefer Harmison to Shoaib.
    3. I would consider Strauss before Sehwag and Smith as opener.
    Its a mug's game but here's one XI

    Strauss
    Sehwag
    Dravid
    Lara
    Kallis
    Flintoff
    Gilchrist
    Pollock
    Warne
    MacGrath
    Murali

    12th Man Ponting

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Cups or Test Series Victories?
    By Ford_GTHO351 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 15-12-2003, 02:07 PM
  2. Australia Squad: 4th Test
    By Rich2001 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 23-12-2002, 10:45 PM
  3. Thirty probables named in squad for the World Cup
    By Gotchya in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-12-2002, 01:19 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-12-2002, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •