• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ambidextrous players

Shounak

Banned
C_C said:
Ambidextrous players i know of : Ian Harvey, Saurav Ganguly, Gary Sobers, Chaminda Vaas
Is Ganguly ambidextrous? I know he bats left and bowls right, but is he ambidextrous?

Isolator

State 12th Man
cameeel said:
??????????????????????? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
Ambidextrous - Able to use both hands
I was joking... I read somewhere that Merv Hughes apparently thought that the term for people who could use both hands was "amphibious". I expected someone to get the joke, but eh...

Craig

World Traveller
Steve Waugh once said Glenn McGrath was a left handed batsman trapped in a right handers body (obviously this batting we are talking about).

IIRC Salim Malik (he was Pakistani and played around the same time as Malik) that he once got hit and then faced the next ball left handed and then switched over?

For me I can bowl with either hand and throw with either hand but I'm a lot weaker throwing it with my left hand. It doesn't matter though as I'm probably as crap as Neil.

Craig

World Traveller
Deja moo said:
Sachin Tendulkar.
Bats and bowls right handed. Writes left handed.
I believe I once saw Darren Gough sign an autograph with his left hand, mind you this was nearly five years ago when England were touring Pakistan.

Deja moo

International Captain
Craig said:
I believe I once saw Darren Gough sign an autograph with his left hand, mind you this was nearly five years ago when England were touring Pakistan.
Well, they do write from the right to the left in Pakistan... :p

Shounak

Banned
Craig said:
I can write fairly proficiently and legibly with my left hand. It all came from challenging a left hander to write with our opposite hands.

Craig

World Traveller
Last time I tried to write left handed it looked like a 2 year old toddler could have done a better job.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Last time I tried to bat left handed a 2 year old toddler could have done a better job.

Mind you, last time I batted right handed a 3 year old toddler could have done a better job.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Deja moo said:
Sachin Tendulkar.
Bats and bowls right handed. Writes left handed.
Same as me! :D

I heard Sunil Gavaskar once batted left-handed in a Test match against a wrist-spinner to combat spin out of the rough outside leg stump - and apparently he scored 27 runs like that, too. :wacko: That man was too good.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:

I heard Sunil Gavaskar once batted left-handed in a Test match against a wrist-spinner to combat spin out of the rough outside leg stump - and apparently he scored 27 runs like that, too. :wacko: That man was too good.
If that's true, that's one of the most remarkable things I've ever heard.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
If that's true, that's one of the most remarkable things I've ever heard.
I remember one of the C4 commentators saying it during a series a couple of years back - perhaps the one against India in 2002 - when the spinners were turning it, they were discussing what the rough does and how difficult it can be to play. I think it might have been Ravi Shastri who brought it up - perhaps he was playing in that game.

It may not have been a Test match, come to think of it - it might only have been FC, I'm not entirely sure, but it's still an amazing feat.

Shounak

Banned
Nasser Hussain writes left handed I'm pretty sure.. Even though he bowls and bats right.

One of my friends does the exact same thing..

Barney Rubble

International Coach
shounak said:
Nasser Hussain writes left handed I'm pretty sure.. Even though he bowls and bats right.

One of my friends does the exact same thing..
So do I, that's not that unusual - even doing two disciplines of cricket with different hands is fairly common (e.g. Ashley Giles, Marcus Trescothick) - what's really unusual is being able to do one discipline with either hand, in any walk of life. Very few people can write with either hand, or paint with either hand, etc etc.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:

i think that was a ranji trophy match...haven't heard of him trying that in a test match...in any case as you said, that man was too good... :)