Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Time to change the Aussie captain?

  1. #1
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793

    Time to change the Aussie captain?

    Ponting has been found wanting of ideas. First in the match versus Bangladesh and then on several other ocassions.

    Today, the field placings were poor giving the english too many easy runs.

    After the Ashes, I think its time for a change of leadership. Warne back as captain and a one day come back? He has a good cricket mind. If the Australians do not find it uncomfortable that his personal life is not a great example, then why not?

    Or maybe Gilchrist.

    I dont know but Ponting is not satsifactory as captain at the moment.

  2. #2
    International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    3,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Ponting has been found wanting of ideas. First in the match versus Bangladesh and then on several other ocassions.

    Today, the field placings were poor giving the english too many easy runs.

    After the Ashes, I think its time for a change of leadership. Warne back as captain and a one day come back? He has a good cricket mind. If the Australians do not find it uncomfortable that his personal life is not a great example, then why not?

    Or maybe Gilchrist.

    I dont know but Ponting is not satsifactory as captain at the moment.
    No. Ponting has lead from the front and cant be blamed if the team, in particular the batsman simply dont perform

  3. #3
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    No, he isn't very flash.

    However, I don't think Gilchrist is all that brilliant either - and I see little chance of Warne being offered the captaincy (it's even possible that he wouldn't accept it at this late stage). So, I wouldn't drop him - because I can't imagine who's really equipped right now to replace him, unless the Aussie selectors take a huge risk like South Africa did in promoting Smith and go for Clarke - which I really wouldn't do, as he is still working on establishing himself in the side and he has far too many critics on his back already.

    Strong alternatives aren't really presenting themselves, so Ponting will have to stay. It's also very likely that he'll find the going a lot easier against other opposition once this series is finished.
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  4. #4
    U19 Vice-Captain SpeedKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East London/West Essex whichever you like
    Posts
    525
    C.mon guys he just got Australia out of jail with definitely the best rearguard action i have ever seen in the last test. Do you guys he would have had the same determination if the wasn't skipper.
    I hereby declare myself founder and leader of JAAS-James Anderson Appreciation Society

    my favourite upcoming players
    AN Cook[Essex], IR Bell[Waricks]

    Proud Member of Kevin Pietesen's Appreciation Society.

    Glenn McGrath - 30 deliveries - 2 runs - 5 wickets

    Bowling O M R W
    Harmison 12.3 8 12 7

    Two most destructive pieces of bowling i have ever witnessed


  5. #5
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,102
    Warne would make an excellent captain, except he's 35 years old and has a terrible record off the field. Gilchrist too isn't far from retirement. Ponting is captain because there's no other good option, simple as that.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  6. #6
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,736
    The problem has not primarily been the batsmen, it has been the bowlers. Any captain can be made innocuous if his attack lets him down, as Stephen Fleming showed last year. And any batting attack will be made to look poor, if they struggle where the opposition consistently make hay because of weak bowling (as is repeatedly the case with the Windies).

  7. #7
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Ponting is captain because there's no other good option, simple as that.
    Yes I am afraid that is the reality. Warne could have made a good captain and could serve as a stop gap captain for 2 years but it would ruffle a lot of feathers in Australia I think after Warne's off field exploits.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,102
    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    The problem has not primarily been the batsmen, it has been the bowlers. Any captain can be made innocuous if his attack lets him down, as Stephen Fleming showed last year. And any batting attack will be made to look poor, if they struggle where the opposition consistently make hay because of weak bowling (as is repeatedly the case with the Windies).
    Eh, I disagree. I think the bowling has been pretty good, although obviously the fact that the attack has changed every game and Gillespie has been woeful hasn't helped, Warne has been excellent and McGrath, Lee and Tait have all been good enough. The problem is the batting, because when England have bowled well Australia have gone to pieces and haven't made a single large score in the series despite three of the four wickets being flat. When Australia has bowled well, most of the time England have done okay, maybe lost a wicket or two but come out the other same and still made a score. England have outbowled Australia, but the difference in my mind has been relatively small. Australia's fielders have let down the bowlers consistently, but the bowling hasn't been that bad.

    What has been genuinely poor is the batting. England have bowled well, yes, but good batsmen should be able to face good bowling on a true, flat pitch and survive to make runs, and Australia excluding a couple of people haven't been able to do that, while England have, despite the fact that guys like Ponting, Martyn, Gilchrist and Langer are normally more reliable than their English counterparts.

  9. #9
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    truth is Ponting could really do much more with the crap bowling that England have exploited brilliantly so far. McGrath was good in the first test..Warne has been good all series, Lee sporadically good, the rest not up to standard..whereas Englands bowling has consistanly been at at very high standard...Australias batting has been fatally exposed by the England bowlers...what really could Ponting do????
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  10. #10
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    what really could Ponting do????
    The field placements havent been satisfactory.

  11. #11
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    The field placements havent been satisfactory.
    you need to have bowlers who can bowl to whatever the field placings are...Australias bowlers have not done the job

    I agree that ponting has been out captained so far this series, but there is only so much the guy can do..he cannot bat for everyone..he cannot field for everyone..he cannot bowl for everyone.

  12. #12
    International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    3,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    you need to have bowlers who can bowl to whatever the field placings are...Australias bowlers have not done the job

    I agree that ponting has been out captained so far this series, but there is only so much the guy can do..he cannot bat for everyone..he cannot field for everyone..he cannot bowl for everyone.
    Australia would win for sure if that were the case.

    Ponting has the most runs for australia thus far
    Ponting has the best average out of all of the bowlers playing in the series
    Ponting hasnt dropped a catch this series

  13. #13
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy
    you need to have bowlers who can bowl to whatever the field placings are...Australias bowlers have not done the job

    I agree that ponting has been out captained so far this series, but there is only so much the guy can do..he cannot bat for everyone..he cannot field for everyone..he cannot bowl for everyone.
    Yeah a captain cannot place a field for Tait like he can do for McGrath. And I agree Australian bowlers have not done the job.

    My dissatisfaction and disappointment from Ponting has been his extra defensive captaincy. For example, against Bangladesh, he waited for things to happen rather than setting an attacking field till very late. (not taking any thing away from Bangladesh)

    Even today, with wickets down, he could have done with a more attacking field. A captain really cant set a field for bad bowling.

    England fought hard. But Australia did not show teeth to atleast try to fight while bowling. The pitch was lookind dead, the field placings were not innovative or did not force batsmen to do some thing different.

    The bowlers were not the most talented but I expected more from the captaincy - some sparks of brilliance. Maybe I expect too much.

  14. #14
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Ponting
    Australia would win for sure if that were the case.

    Ponting has the most runs for australia thus far
    Ponting has the best average out of all of the bowlers playing in the series
    Ponting hasnt dropped a catch this series
    yeah..but still remember he has done little with the bat apart from the 150, and Vaughan has completely out classsed him as a captain ...as many people thought he would to be honest

  15. #15
    International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    3,043
    i wonder how long it will be before certain people will say "a monkey could captain" this current english team.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Aussie media mocks England
    By wahindiawah in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 02:47 PM
  2. I'm a captain in need of some advice
    By Barney Rubble in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 18-05-2005, 04:26 PM
  3. Aussie Website - Feedback Needed
    By Lach in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 05:42 PM
  4. Aussie 30 man Prelim World Cup Squad annouced
    By Blewy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-12-2002, 03:56 PM
  5. Replies: 253
    Last Post: 30-08-2002, 10:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •