Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: why wasim and waqar were accused of ball tempering?

Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    I agree somewhat with C_C here...Pakistani cricketers are automatically assumed to be 'cheating' when they get prodigious swing, but when England do it no-one even thinks of that.
    In Swervy's case it was his 'gut feeling that the Pakistan players way back then did things to the ball that were not legal'.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Actually, it is a fact that the Ws didn't do anything illegal or tamper with the ball. And honestly, if what Freddie and Simon Jones are doing now is clean, what the Ws did was clean as well. And the British press does have a history of complaining about everything but their own teams' inefficiency when they get defeated back in the 80s and the early 90s, something that seems to have passed on the Indian media, unfortunately. We never pick up the good things from the British, do we?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    Actually, it is a fact that the Ws didn't do anything illegal or tamper with the ball. And honestly, if what Freddie and Simon Jones are doing now is clean, what the Ws did was clean as well. And the British press does have a history of complaining about everything but their own teams' inefficiency when they get defeated back in the 80s and the early 90s, something that seems to have passed on the Indian media, unfortunately. We never pick up the good things from the British, do we?
    Cricket? Think that was one of ours.....
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    yeah, maybe a few exceptions.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    So if nothing illegal was being done to the ball, why did the umpires change it in the one Test Match?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

State Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    So if nothing illegal was being done to the ball, why did the umpires change it in the one Test Match?
    Who knows?? did the umpires specify later what exact illegal thing was being done with the ball??

Just coz the ball was changed in the match isn't a proof enough to accuse someone of cheating.Besides i remember that was lot of bad blood between not only the English and Pakistan team then, but also between Pakistan team and ENGLISH UMPIRES. I remember when an umpires threw a sweater to a Pak bowler after the end of an over instaed of giving it to him. There were lot of ugliness from both sides in that series.
    ------------------------------------

C_C

I seem to remember that the umpire changed the ball during the third ODI in England vs India series ( that happened in England last)...i suppose that was ball tampering too, eh ?

Hey einstien, have you ever heard of a phrase associated with cricket known as 'the ball lost its shape' ?

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    yeah, maybe a few exceptions.
    P.G. Wodehouse is the most borrowed writer from Indian libraries, so English humour is another success. Yet another reason why I like the Indians so much, and why they're my "second team" (well, maybe third after Derbyshire but one can't really call us a team these days).
    Last edited by Pedro Delgado; 16-09-2005 at 03:28 AM.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Quote Originally Posted by magsi23
    Well its interesting to see how England bowlers are reverse swinging the old ball in current ashes series and they are getting all the media attention etc, i remember on Pakistan's tour of england 1992, when great Waqar younis and Wasim Akram bowled superbly in that series, they were acused of ball tempering, cheating and all sorts in the media? i wonder what England bowlers are doing now? is that cheating too?
    England aren't using instruments like bottle-caps and god knows what else to create one side of the ball staying rough. They are simply keeping one side shined-up and hoping a hard pitch and rough outfield will rough up the other side

C_C
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    England aren't using instruments like bottle-caps and god knows what else to create one side of the ball staying rough. They are simply keeping one side shined-up and hoping a hard pitch and rough outfield will rough up the other side
    And you know for a fact that Pakistan used bottle-caps and god knows what else during their trip to england in 1992 ?
    Please, could you be a lil less biassed ?
    You have no evidence that the pakistani team was cheating in the 92 series apart from a few rabid journalists who had not an iota of knowledge about reverse swing.

I am 100% sure England didnt use anything to temper the ball, all i want to say is Pakistani bowlers didnt use anything either, just because England got hammerd by Wasim and Waqar and were loosing this issue was raised.

Oh so the Umpires must have been right, as in Shakoor Rana was right, Gatting must have done something wrong.

As for the umpires, weren't they English too ? Did you know what the match referee said, he actually had felt that there wasn't anything wrong with the ball.

That is as biased as one can get.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    That is as biased as one can get.
    Why would he be biased, he's a Kiwi. He is speaking the truth that's all. Or do you think Fred and Jones were using knavery?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Why would he be biased, he's a Kiwi. He is speaking the truth that's all. Or do you think Fred and Jones were using knavery?
    I know he is a Kiwi. Look at his post and what he was replying to. It implicitly suggests that England aren't using Bottle tops etc but Pakistanis were.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread Information