• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why wasim and waqar were accused of ball tempering?

Swervy

International Captain
actually, this still doesnt get rid of my gut feeling that the Pakistan players way back then did things to the ball that were not legal and aided the reverse swinging of the ball.

There is a huge difference in how the ball swung in the early 90's compared to how the English players did it this summer...but I think we can drop this one for a bit...it gets a bit too heated when we talk about this :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Swervy said:
actually, this still doesnt get rid of my gut feeling that the Pakistan players way back then did things to the ball that were not legal and aided the reverse swinging of the ball.

There is a huge difference in how the ball swung in the early 90's compared to how the English players did it this summer...but I think we can drop this one for a bit...it gets a bit too heated when we talk about this :D
To play devil's advocate a bit, I couldn't help but notice Fred reversed it an awful lot less at The Oval without Jonah working on the ball.... :whistling

Maybe Waqar passed his bottle top on to Si @ Glamorgan..... :D

(NB: joking!)

Swervy

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
To play devil's advocate a bit, I couldn't help but notice Fred reversed it an awful lot less at The Oval without Jonah working on the ball.... :whistling

Maybe Waqar passed his bottle top on to Si @ Glamorgan..... :D

(NB: joking!)
conditions much more suited to conventional swing :D

Jace11

Cricket Spectator
I remember seeing close ups of Wasim or Waqar picking at the seam and I remember seeing Atherton put dirt on the ball out of his pocket. If you are seen doing it, then you get a reputation, I don't see the problem...

Hanse Cronje did far far worse..

I think the differences in swing during the matches was down to pitch abrasiveness. Old Trafford was really rough and hard..

I thought Tres was the main ball prep man in the england squad?

Last edited:

Swervy

International Captain
Jace11 said:
I remember seeing close ups of Wasim or Waqar picking at the seam and I remember seeing Atherton put dirt on the ball out of his pocket. If you are seen doing it, then you get a reputation, I don't see the problem...

Hanse Cronje did far far worse..
I agree

The problem is that ball tampering is not allowed according to the laws of the game...maybe the laws should be changed//maybe they shouldnt

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jace11 said:
You've seen Wasim picking at the seam ?

C_C

International Captain
There is a huge difference in how the ball swung in the early 90's compared to how the English players did it this summer
Yeah.
In the 90s the ball didnt swing till the 40th over or so, now England are swinging it around the 20th over mark.
Hmmmmm.
Get over it- you guys had no blinking clue about reverse swing and got totally blasted by it and human beings have a tendency to vilify something they dont understand when that something bites them in the ****.

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
Yeah.
In the 90s the ball didnt swing till the 40th over or so, now England are swinging it around the 20th over mark.
Hmmmmm.
Get over it- you guys had no blinking clue about reverse swing and got totally blasted by it and human beings have a tendency to vilify something they dont understand when that something bites them in the ****.

you guys?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I agree somewhat with C_C here...Pakistani cricketers are automatically assumed to be 'cheating' when they get prodigious swing, but when England do it no-one even thinks of that.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
I agree somewhat with C_C here...Pakistani cricketers are automatically assumed to be 'cheating' when they get prodigious swing, but when England do it no-one even thinks of that.
In Swervy's case it was his 'gut feeling that the Pakistan players way back then did things to the ball that were not legal'. :cool:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Actually, it is a fact that the Ws didn't do anything illegal or tamper with the ball. And honestly, if what Freddie and Simon Jones are doing now is clean, what the Ws did was clean as well. And the British press does have a history of complaining about everything but their own teams' inefficiency when they get defeated back in the 80s and the early 90s, something that seems to have passed on the Indian media, unfortunately. We never pick up the good things from the British, do we?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
honestbharani said:
Actually, it is a fact that the Ws didn't do anything illegal or tamper with the ball. And honestly, if what Freddie and Simon Jones are doing now is clean, what the Ws did was clean as well. And the British press does have a history of complaining about everything but their own teams' inefficiency when they get defeated back in the 80s and the early 90s, something that seems to have passed on the Indian media, unfortunately. We never pick up the good things from the British, do we?
Cricket? Think that was one of ours..... :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So if nothing illegal was being done to the ball, why did the umpires change it in the one Test Match?

Choora

State Regular
marc71178 said:
So if nothing illegal was being done to the ball, why did the umpires change it in the one Test Match?
Who knows?? did the umpires specify later what exact illegal thing was being done with the ball??

Just coz the ball was changed in the match isn't a proof enough to accuse someone of cheating.Besides i remember that was lot of bad blood between not only the English and Pakistan team then, but also between Pakistan team and ENGLISH UMPIRES. I remember when an umpires threw a sweater to a Pak bowler after the end of an over instaed of giving it to him. There were lot of ugliness from both sides in that series.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:

I seem to remember that the umpire changed the ball during the third ODI in England vs India series ( that happened in England last)...i suppose that was ball tampering too, eh ?

Hey einstien, have you ever heard of a phrase associated with cricket known as 'the ball lost its shape' ?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
honestbharani said:
yeah, maybe a few exceptions. :D
P.G. Wodehouse is the most borrowed writer from Indian libraries, so English humour is another success. Yet another reason why I like the Indians so much, and why they're my "second team" (well, maybe third after Derbyshire but one can't really call us a team these days).

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
magsi23 said:
Well its interesting to see how England bowlers are reverse swinging the old ball in current ashes series and they are getting all the media attention etc, i remember on Pakistan's tour of england 1992, when great Waqar younis and Wasim Akram bowled superbly in that series, they were acused of ball tempering, cheating and all sorts in the media? i wonder what England bowlers are doing now? is that cheating too?
England aren't using instruments like bottle-caps and god knows what else to create one side of the ball staying rough. They are simply keeping one side shined-up and hoping a hard pitch and rough outfield will rough up the other side

C_C

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
England aren't using instruments like bottle-caps and god knows what else to create one side of the ball staying rough. They are simply keeping one side shined-up and hoping a hard pitch and rough outfield will rough up the other side
And you know for a fact that Pakistan used bottle-caps and god knows what else during their trip to england in 1992 ?
Please, could you be a lil less biassed ?
You have no evidence that the pakistani team was cheating in the 92 series apart from a few rabid journalists who had not an iota of knowledge about reverse swing.