• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Shane Bond should be in the ODI squad no question
welll if this performace had come a month earlier then we could have picked him but it would be unfair to pick him over the likes of Ntini, Harmison who have done well in ODI's in the past year or so

Toecrusher

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I wonder what Gavaskar was thinking as he was commentating that match - "Why did I pick Ntini ahead of Bond??"

shaka

International Regular
I dont think there is a point in picking Bond and giving him extra pressure, he does not need it at this time.

shaka

International Regular
Bond does not need extra bowling duties before he feels he is fully able to cope with it. Plus he has only just come back and would be a little unfair.

Blaze

Banned
shaka said:
Bond does not need extra bowling duties before he feels he is fully able to cope with it. Plus he has only just come back and would be a little unfair.

How do you know how he is feeling?

shaka

International Regular
Did you not hear him in his Man of Match interview? He is improving and is a good sign.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Personally I'd have no problems with Bond being the first cab off the rank if there's a late withdrawal from the World XI's OD squad.

I really don't think a maximum of 30 overs over 5 days should be an issue, considering Bond will be bowling a lot more than that, probably on indoor surfaces in Christchurch, warming up for our ODIs in SA. I doubt that simply because it's the World XI v AUS will mean he'll suddenly start streching every sinew to break the 150 mark. If anything I think he's at far greater risk of getting re-injured trying to bail out NZ somewhere, just like a baseball pitcher who knows his 'closers' simply can't be trusted. Ever!

I get how people naturally want to be cautious with Bond and treat him like the precious asset he is, but too much cotton wool can also have its dangers. You're at far greater risk trying to shake off rust than if you kept things in a groove IMO.

Deja moo

International Captain
Bonds just come back from Injury. I dont think even the Kiwis would want him risking injury by playing for the RoW.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Deja moo said:
Bonds just come back from Injury. I dont think even the Kiwis would want him risking injury by playing for the RoW.
Let's say (hypotheticaly) if Bond were to be picked because of a late withdrawal or injury. Can New Zealand Cricket stop him from playing?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
Let's say (hypotheticaly) if Bond were to be picked because of a late withdrawal or injury. Can New Zealand Cricket stop him from playing?
No, I don't think they could. They could ask/advise him not to, but I don't think they have the power to stop him

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
burkey_1988 said:
No, I don't think they could. They could ask/advise him not to, but I don't think they have the power to stop him
Ok, fair enough. I actually don't think New Zealand would mind him playing because he would be getting some match practice and more importantly match fitness.

howardj

International Coach
My Aussie Super Test team at the SCG

Jacques
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Watson
Gilchrist
Warne
Tait
McGill
McGrath

They should give Shane Watson a good, long run in the Test side. As our bowlers decline, we need Watson in the team to give it more options.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
My Aussie Super Test team at the SCG

Jacques
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Watson
Gilchrist
Lee
Warne
Tait
McGill
McGrath

They should give Shane Watson a good, long run in the Test side. As our bowlers decline, we need Watson in the team to give it more options.
I'm sure Hussey will open ahead of Jaques. dont think Watson nor 2 spinners should play seems VERY risky to me i 'm going for the safer option:

Langer
Hussey
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Katich
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Tait
McGrath

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be inclined to stick with McGrath, Lee and Tait, and I think that's what will happen, at least for a while. If Lee slacks off and warrants it, he will be dropped for Kasprowicz, but he's been periodically good in the Ashes and doesn't warrant being dropped yet. I don't think Watson will play.

Chances are Australia will stick with the same team as the Ashes for the Super Series, and then make changes during the Australian summer.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd be inclined to stick with McGrath, Lee and Tait, and I think that's what will happen, at least for a while. If Lee slacks off and warrants it, he will be dropped for Kasprowicz, but he's been periodically good in the Ashes and doesn't warrant being dropped yet. I don't think Watson will play.

Chances are Australia will stick with the same team as the Ashes for the Super Series, and then make changes during the Australian summer.

depending on the pitch Macgill is likley to play at the SCG, probably over Tait.