• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When you want to hit a four or six,is it always pre-mediated?

deeps

International 12th Man
generally not. I've only ever hit one six, and that was definately not premeditated. It was a pull shot over square leg, went quiet far. I was surprised as i've never hit one before. I've been close on many occasions, i'm just a little bit of strength off it i think

Fours are generally knicks through the slip cordin, which are definately not premediated:P

nah in all seriousness, most of the time it's not premeditated for fours, it just happens (unless your lookin for quick runs)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i dont usually hit a 4 or a 6 without going after it. but i go after alot of things that dont go to the boundary as well.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I never really think when I'm batting, I just bat.

I've realy only ever really thought about it once, when I realised almost all fielders were on the offside, so I decided to talk a nice walk across my stumps and hit it to legside for four, which I did (although I was almost caught by the lone fielder)

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
I've only hit a few sixes...didn't pre meditate them but hit them when I was "going for it" so I was always going to go hard and in the air but didn't premeditate the actual shot.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
I've only hit one six (I'm a defensive tailender :p), and it was premeditated. The bowler was really slow and really ordinary so I decided to try hit everything for four, but one of them came off the top edge and went for six (small ground). Generally I don't premeditate fours though.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
And for the record, I don't sit down and discuss a mutually satisfactory outcome with the bowler about possible boundaries before the ball has been bowled.

I assume that's what CP means by pre-mediated?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
lol, i do premeditate using my feet against bowlers (fast and slow) abit, when im in reasonable form anyway.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Voltman said:
And for the record, I don't sit down and discuss a mutually satisfactory outcome with the bowler about possible boundaries before the ball has been bowled.

:lol::lol::lol:

That's great!

I've never hit a six but most of my boundaries do come through third man. Basically because I decide what to play late so it's definitely not premeditated. To the spinners it's more of a "if it's pitching here i'm going to do this" than premeditating the shot.

thierry henry

International Coach
All batting involves an element of pre-meditation, in the sense that you see where the gaps in the field are, and then prepare to play a certain shot if the ball pitches in a certain area, etc.

I never hit a 6 (a source of huge embarrassment), but if I had it would either have been premeditated, or a miscue. If I hit a 6 that wasn't premeditated I would consider it a lapse. As for fours, they are simply a result of any well executed shot that isn't defensive.

I'm sure you're all glad to have learned that.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Thierry,

I've only ever hit one six in my life, and it was on the way to my only 50 ( I have a 49 as well, dammit), so it may be a good thing when you finally do.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hope I eventually get a six in life. In fact, it can be a new goal for me.

greg

International Debutant
I'm a sucker for the bowler leaving a gap at deep mid wicket/cow corner 8-)

I'd like to think that Michael Vaughan joins me in that respect :D

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Voltman said:

:) Classic.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I bat at no.6 for my side mostly, and I do come in around 20 over mark (these are 30 over games). Therefore, I do need to be able to hit a few sixes. But I have only hit a few sixes over the course of my cricket life. I think I would have hit around 12 or 15 sixes max. And a good number of them were pulls (I always manage to find the gap between square leg and midwicket, even sixes never go over the heads of either fielders, it goes between them.) I did hit a nice little medium pacer that I always fancy over long off for a couple of sixes consecutively in one game (when I got my highest score of 64*). But I think fours are mostly not pre-meditated unless one is batting in the slog overs. Sixes are mostly pre-meditated for me. There can be exceptions, like the pulls that have been mentioned in this thread.

thierry henry

International Coach
Voltman said:
Thierry,

I've only ever hit one six in my life, and it was on the way to my only 50 ( I have a 49 as well, dammit), so it may be a good thing when you finally do.
Voltman, I retired when I finished school 3 years ago. I thought it was a good time to go because I got 70 in my last innings (my only 50 as well), and took the match-winning wicket with my final ball.

However a mate has been nagging me to come back and play some 4th Grade this season, so maybe the quest to hit a 6 will recommence.

Don

State Vice-Captain
im gonna start this quest.hope to get my first 50 too. 6 over mid wicket here i come

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I took something away from what Steve Waugh once said. It was to the effect of "Once you start to premeditate a shot, you are lost". There is a difference between being predisposed to a shot, and premeditated.