Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warnes greatest deliveries/ dismissals.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    People have got to be joking if they rate his big turning leg breaks as his greatest deliveries (ie the Chanderpaul ball; the Gatting ball etc). They are just leg breaks - they don't really involve any deception. Rather, I think you have to look at where he did something different to just a normal leg break- where he actually deceived a batsman. To that end, I think his greatest delivery was his 300th Test wicket - his wrong un, delivered around the wicket, to bowl Jacques Kallis in January 1998. Deceived a very accomplished batsman, with a delivery out of the ordinary. What a champion.....er... champion cricketer.
    I definately include this ball as well. I still can't believe it got through. It was in the middle of an amazing spell of bowling when he got 7 for. The way he wove his magic aroiund them was fascinating to watch.
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    I second aussie's inclusion of the Vaas one last year, assuming it's the ball I am thinking of... in fact the last hour of that innings was just incredible. Late on the fifth day of the vital second test, Sri Lanka chasing 352 to win. A century to Jayasuria and some support from the middle order have got Sri Lanka on top, and with Dilshan and Vaas at the crease the target is down to 80 with four wickets in hand. First, Warne produces one of his greatest leg-spinners to completely beat Dilshan and bowl him for 42, putting Australia back on top. Vaas flew into the bowlers though, and added 47 with Lokuarachchi for the 8th wicket, to put Sri Lanka in sight of a series levelling victory. Warne bowled a great over to Vaas with just 30 odd needed to win, stopping after each ball to consult with Ponting, changing the field constantly and slowing things down and disrupting Vaas' momentum. He beats the bat to finish an over, and Ponting brings Gillespie on at the other end for Macgill, who bowls another good over. Warne returns to the same tactics the next over, varying his line and length and giving Vaas nothing to hit, then he throws one right up, Vaas' eyes light up, he races down the wicket and smashes it straight down the throat of Langer at deep midwicket. On its own it wasn't a great ball, but the mindgames leading up to the dismissal were classic Warne, and as it happened Gillespie removed Zoysa in the next over and Warne picked up Lokuarachchi after a Murali boundary to give Australia a 27 run win, and a series victory. One of my favourite test memories as an Australian fan.
    Spot on Sean thats the one .BTW do you remember the delivery that Warne got Vaas with in the final test in Colombo that bowled him that one was also special.......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mavric41
    I definately include this ball as well. I still can't believe it got through. It was in the middle of an amazing spell of bowling when he got 7 for. The way he wove his magic aroiund them was fascinating to watch.
    It was a top spinner actually but yeah.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    As someone has already said, Warne's spell in the 99 WC Semi-Final against SA was amazing. Gibbs and Kallis' wickets were superb.
    Yep. He had the ball doing all sorts in the air.

It was drifting and wobbling all over the place. I've never seen it do that to that degree before or since.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    People have got to be joking if they rate his big turning leg breaks as his greatest deliveries (ie the Chanderpaul ball; the Gatting ball etc). They are just leg breaks - they don't really involve any deception.
    I agree that Kallis's ball was a great but but come off it - big turn by itself doesn't get wickets (Stuart MacGill anyone?). The Gatting ball, for example, drifted outside leg-stump, dipped and THEN spun. It and the others weren't 'just big leg-breaks'.

I also think you unfairly denigrate the skill required to actually bowl a big-turning delivery. I know plenty of guys who can rip the ball a mile but none of them play high-level cricket. The ones who do have much more on the leggies than just big spin.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Even I could turn a cricket ball when bowling leg spin. If your action is right it isn't that hard.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

First Class Debutant cric_manic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Even I could turn a cricket ball when bowling leg spin. If your action is right it isn't that hard.
    Turning is not hard but bowling it in the right place is

As unusual as it was - I was also landing them in the right here every 3-5 balls.

I bet he feels great about today's dismissal.

Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Yep truly quality footwork

the Gatting ball...explain never seen it in my life..just heard A LOT about it.
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kwek
    the Gatting ball...explain never seen it in my life..just heard A LOT about it.
    It turned.

Obviously...anyone got a little movie of it? somewhere?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kwek
    Obviously...anyone got a little movie of it? somewhere?
    Get the Warne video/dvd or a Dickie Bird one. It's on those.

1 word...Holland

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information