• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warnes greatest deliveries/ dismissals.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't believe no-one has mentioned that ball he got Robin Smith with in 1993. Oh I know why, it was about two overs AFTER the Gatting ball; everyone was still in shock.

But yeah, that's got to be in his top 5. Smith wasn't the best player of spin (especially Warnie) but he did very well to hit that edge that one to slip. Absolutely brilliant ball and a great follow-up to the Gatting ball.

Does anyone know where I can get a tape/dvd of this game or series highlights?
I've got it. It's definitely available if you look around. The whole tape was really good, actually.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Trying to reach his century by hitting Vettori for six and being caught by Richardson, who gave the crowd a nice little bow. I was lovin' it.

howardj

International Coach
People have got to be joking if they rate his big turning leg breaks as his greatest deliveries (ie the Chanderpaul ball; the Gatting ball etc). They are just leg breaks - they don't really involve any deception. Rather, I think you have to look at where he did something different to just a normal leg break- where he actually deceived a batsman. To that end, I think his greatest delivery was his 300th Test wicket - his wrong un, delivered around the wicket, to bowl Jacques Kallis in January 1998. Deceived a very accomplished batsman, with a delivery out of the ordinary. What a champion.....er... champion cricketer.

Craig

World Traveller
a massive zebra said:
Warne is indeed a rare talent but Andrew Strauss' leave was about as convincing as those television commercials when gaily clad young housewives talk solemnly to one another about the relative merits of washing powders.
Certainly what I was thinking. Had he stayed where he was he would have been in a good position to play the ball.

Interestingly enough having a read in Sobers autobiography his method of playing spin (and the ones he faced weren't exactly hopeless) was to go back and always use his bat and play off the back foot and never leave the crease. It worked for him though - considering his record in India.

I would have loved to see him face Warne.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I second aussie's inclusion of the Vaas one last year, assuming it's the ball I am thinking of... in fact the last hour of that innings was just incredible. Late on the fifth day of the vital second test, Sri Lanka chasing 352 to win. A century to Jayasuria and some support from the middle order have got Sri Lanka on top, and with Dilshan and Vaas at the crease the target is down to 80 with four wickets in hand. First, Warne produces one of his greatest leg-spinners to completely beat Dilshan and bowl him for 42, putting Australia back on top. Vaas flew into the bowlers though, and added 47 with Lokuarachchi for the 8th wicket, to put Sri Lanka in sight of a series levelling victory. Warne bowled a great over to Vaas with just 30 odd needed to win, stopping after each ball to consult with Ponting, changing the field constantly and slowing things down and disrupting Vaas' momentum. He beats the bat to finish an over, and Ponting brings Gillespie on at the other end for Macgill, who bowls another good over. Warne returns to the same tactics the next over, varying his line and length and giving Vaas nothing to hit, then he throws one right up, Vaas' eyes light up, he races down the wicket and smashes it straight down the throat of Langer at deep midwicket. On its own it wasn't a great ball, but the mindgames leading up to the dismissal were classic Warne, and as it happened Gillespie removed Zoysa in the next over and Warne picked up Lokuarachchi after a Murali boundary to give Australia a 27 run win, and a series victory. One of my favourite test memories as an Australian fan.

Aside from that, all the usual ones. All of both his ODI spells in the 99 and 96 world cup semi finals, where he single handedly turned both games with inspire middle-over spells, the Gatting ball, the Gibbs ball, the Chanderpaul ball, the Richardson flipper, Laxman last October, Basit Ali off the last ball of the day through his legs, and Strauss in the final over of the day yesterday. There's plenty more too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To be fair Faaip, Vaas going absolutely brain dead did help. No doubt brilliant bowing by Warney, but with so little runs left to win, why he'd do that after earlier being dropped by Symonds is beyond me. I couldn't believe it.

As someone has already said, Warne's spell in the 99 WC Semi-Final against SA was amazing. Gibbs and Kallis' wickets were superb.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
To be fair Faaip, Vaas going absolutely brain dead did help. No doubt brilliant bowing by Warney, but with so little runs left to win, why he'd do that after earlier being dropped by Symonds is beyond me. I couldn't believe it.

As someone has already said, Warne's spell in the 99 WC Semi-Final against SA was amazing. Gibbs and Kallis' wickets were superb.
Yeah, but I think his braindead behaviour was Warne's doing in many respects, he has always managed to bring out the worst in batsmen.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah you've got a point there. I did want to throw my shoe at Vaas though, because that cost SL the match (and obviously the series) and I really wanted to see a 3rd test to decide the series.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
howardj said:
People have got to be joking if they rate his big turning leg breaks as his greatest deliveries (ie the Chanderpaul ball; the Gatting ball etc). They are just leg breaks - they don't really involve any deception. Rather, I think you have to look at where he did something different to just a normal leg break- where he actually deceived a batsman. To that end, I think his greatest delivery was his 300th Test wicket - his wrong un, delivered around the wicket, to bowl Jacques Kallis in January 1998. Deceived a very accomplished batsman, with a delivery out of the ordinary. What a champion.....er... champion cricketer.
I definately include this ball as well. I still can't believe it got through. It was in the middle of an amazing spell of bowling when he got 7 for. The way he wove his magic aroiund them was fascinating to watch.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I second aussie's inclusion of the Vaas one last year, assuming it's the ball I am thinking of... in fact the last hour of that innings was just incredible. Late on the fifth day of the vital second test, Sri Lanka chasing 352 to win. A century to Jayasuria and some support from the middle order have got Sri Lanka on top, and with Dilshan and Vaas at the crease the target is down to 80 with four wickets in hand. First, Warne produces one of his greatest leg-spinners to completely beat Dilshan and bowl him for 42, putting Australia back on top. Vaas flew into the bowlers though, and added 47 with Lokuarachchi for the 8th wicket, to put Sri Lanka in sight of a series levelling victory. Warne bowled a great over to Vaas with just 30 odd needed to win, stopping after each ball to consult with Ponting, changing the field constantly and slowing things down and disrupting Vaas' momentum. He beats the bat to finish an over, and Ponting brings Gillespie on at the other end for Macgill, who bowls another good over. Warne returns to the same tactics the next over, varying his line and length and giving Vaas nothing to hit, then he throws one right up, Vaas' eyes light up, he races down the wicket and smashes it straight down the throat of Langer at deep midwicket. On its own it wasn't a great ball, but the mindgames leading up to the dismissal were classic Warne, and as it happened Gillespie removed Zoysa in the next over and Warne picked up Lokuarachchi after a Murali boundary to give Australia a 27 run win, and a series victory. One of my favourite test memories as an Australian fan.
Spot on Sean thats the one :happy: .BTW do you remember the delivery that Warne got Vaas with in the final test in Colombo that bowled him that one was also special.......

mavric41 said:
I definately include this ball as well. I still can't believe it got through. It was in the middle of an amazing spell of bowling when he got 7 for. The way he wove his magic aroiund them was fascinating to watch.
It was a top spinner actually but yeah.

Jono said:
Yep. He had the ball doing all sorts in the air.

It was drifting and wobbling all over the place. I've never seen it do that to that degree before or since.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People have got to be joking if they rate his big turning leg breaks as his greatest deliveries (ie the Chanderpaul ball; the Gatting ball etc). They are just leg breaks - they don't really involve any deception.
I agree that Kallis's ball was a great but but come off it - big turn by itself doesn't get wickets (Stuart MacGill anyone?). The Gatting ball, for example, drifted outside leg-stump, dipped and THEN spun. It and the others weren't 'just big leg-breaks'.

I also think you unfairly denigrate the skill required to actually bowl a big-turning delivery. I know plenty of guys who can rip the ball a mile but none of them play high-level cricket. The ones who do have much more on the leggies than just big spin.

Craig

World Traveller
Even I could turn a cricket ball when bowling leg spin. If your action is right it isn't that hard.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
Craig said:
Even I could turn a cricket ball when bowling leg spin. If your action is right it isn't that hard.
Turning is not hard but bowling it in the right place is