• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did England deserve the title of second best in the world.

Jono said:
I think they're 2nd specifically for their bowling. Harmison and Flintoff's bowling is something India could definitely use.

England in India will be a very interesting series though.
India will dominate it.They will control every test match and win the series. Harbajan will run through them like a hot knife through butter.

The best England can hope for is surving and playing for bad light so they draw a game or two if they are very lucky like they did last time in Sri Lanka.

I predict 3-0 India though.

tooextracool

International Coach
Shane Warne said:
India will dominate it.They will control every test match and win the series. Harbajan will run through them like a hot knife through butter.

The best England can hope for is surving and playing for bad light so they draw a game or two if they are very lucky like they did last time in Sri Lanka.

you mean like the last time we set foot in india?
an attack sporting the likes of dawson and ormond.

tooextracool said:
you mean like the last time we set foot in india?
an attack sporting the likes of dawson and ormond.
Dawson's and Ormonds figures will be better than Harmisons will be over there.

Mark my words.

C_C

International Captain
The only bowler Aussies missed against IND was McGrath.......Warne is irrelevant against India......he usually gets treated like a club bowler by indian batsmen.
Overall, its close between IND and ENG but if ENG gets thwacked pretty bad against OZ this series and next year in IND, while they both keep their trends ( ie, ENG thwacking the minnows/mediocre teams and IND failing to finish out the minnows while doing excellently against strong teams), IND would pull clear.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Back on the topic of the thread. India at home are an interesting proposition and have sound claims for being the second best in the world. However they aren't consistantly good enough away from home to compare to England. Don't forget England have only lost about 1 or 2 games in their last 14 test matches or something crazy like that.

England in my opinion are a champion side and will bounce back from the loss. No longer are they afraid of the world number 1 Australian's, they know they can win. India on the other hand I think are still mentally a bit scared.

C_C

International Captain
Shane Warne said:
You may wish to check out Warnes bowling stats in the last series. :dry:
averaged 30 with the ball....nothing hoo-haa, really and it was his best series by a country mile i think.

C_C

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
Back on the topic of the thread. India at home are an interesting proposition and have sound claims for being the second best in the world. However they aren't consistantly good enough away from home to compare to England. Don't forget England have only lost about 1 or 2 games in their last 14 test matches or something crazy like that.

England in my opinion are a champion side and will bounce back from the loss. No longer are they afraid of the world number 1 Australian's, they know they can win. India on the other hand I think are still mentally a bit scared.
I fail to see your logic.
The 'mentally scared' side has a 7-8 record in the last 10 years and the english have a far worse record.

I think what you say applies to IND in the 90s and early 2000 or so...they still are no great shakes overseas but of the last few seasons, IND has been considerably better overseas while losing the air of 'invincibility' at home.
England has had a very good run but the bulk of it is against minnows....India struggles against minnows far more than ENG- granted. But against top nations, IND does better...i think its more about losing focus for IND than 'scared'...you cant be 'scared' and sport a 7-8 record against the aussies.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:

nonsense mate, in 2001 we carried a much worst team than the one we have presently & after being hammerd in the 1st test played much better than india in the remaining two test.Has was the case againts the WI & SA last year, this english team has a darn good chance of winning in india....

C_C

International Captain
Until ENG batsmen can learn how to play spin on an uneven pitch, they aint got a chance to win in IND... the best they can hope for is get Giles to bowl a foot outside offstump and bore the **** off the batsmen.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
A few of the English batsmen are quite competent against spin, but the likes of Flintoff and Bell I'd be really worried about. Clearly, Pietersen, Vaughan and Trescothick can play spin perfectly well. It will be a very interesting series anyway.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Until ENG batsmen can learn how to play spin on an uneven pitch, they aint got a chance to win in IND... the best they can hope for is get Giles to bowl a foot outside offstump and bore the **** off the batsmen.
with the exception of Bell & Flintoff the wrest of the english batting line-up is quite capable againts spin, i definately think they have a chance Gilo is proven to be a pretty good bowler on turning tracks & the for me the pace of Harmison & Freddie could be crucial to englands chances over their since all of the indian batsmen with the exception of the little master have problems coping with bowlers of high pace.

C_C

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
A few of the English batsmen are quite competent against spin, but the likes of Flintoff and Bell I'd be really worried about. Clearly, Pietersen, Vaughan and Trescothick can play spin perfectly well. It will be a very interesting series anyway.
They are ALL unproven on Indian pitches- which takes spin differently than English or aussie pitches....Flintoff averages only 15 with the bat in Asia.......thats half his career average....
This english lineup is unproven in IND and their batting against spin doesnt inspire confidence really- outside or inside the subcontinent.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
They are ALL unproven on Indian pitches- which takes spin differently than English or aussie pitches....Flintoff averages only 15 with the bat in Asia.......thats half his career average....
This english lineup is unproven in IND and their batting against spin doesnt inspire confidence really- outside or inside the subcontinent.
now way in IND in 2001 & SRI in 2003, blokes in the side presently such has Tres & Vaughan proved to be quite capable againts spin, KP all seems to be a decent player againrs spin and has experience of playing in India in 2004.

C_C

International Captain
aussie said:
now way in IND in 2001 & SRI in 2003, blokes in the side presently such has Tres & Vaughan proved to be quite capable againts spin, KP all seems to be a decent player againrs spin and has experience of playing in India in 2004.

Vaughan has played just two matches in IND and averages 53....he has played just 4 matches in SL and averages 31 in SL....that isnt a record of competency...more like a dodgy and unproven record in the subcontinent.
Same case with Tresco- 1 series and averages 48 in IND and 2 series where he averages 34 in SL.
That is far from competent in the subcontinent, really and far too little experience in IND.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Vaughan has played just two matches in IND and averages 53....he has played just 4 matches in SL and averages 31 in SL....that isnt a record of competency...more like a dodgy and unproven record in the subcontinent.
Same case with Tresco- 1 series and averages 48 in IND and 2 series where he averages 34 in SL.
That is far from competent in the subcontinent, really and far too little experience in IND.
come on mate does it matter how mcuh times u have played their at least when they go back their they know what to expect. Maybe Vaughan doesn't have a superb average in the sub-continent but if you say his superb 105 in Kandy that would have convinced you that Vaughan has what it takes to make big runs againts spinners in the sub-continent.