• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did England deserve the title of second best in the world.

PY

International Coach
Adamc said:
If you go purely by the runs Australia added as a result of the dropped catches, I imagine it would be around 150, if not less. Granted they would have damaged England's morale, but even if you were able to put a scorebook figure on that, I really doubt it is sufficient to be able to claim that England would 'most probably' win.
You're right, it probably didn't make it 'most probable' but I think it just had a major effect on the side.

If those catches had been taken then it's a chance that England wouldn't have had to go through the morning they had yesterday which can do nothing but cause tiredness, frustration and discord without factoring in the fact that they were under the cosh anyway.

'Tis a pointless discussion anyway because we'll never know but it was disappointing to see the one thing that is completely based on the players themselves being done inefficiently.

twctopcat

International Regular
Adamc said:
It could've been a lot closer, but 'most probably would have won' seems a bit optimistic given the 239-run margin...
Ok, replace would with could and you see what i mean. Chasing 300 would have been a lot more do able, however obviously still very difficult.

twctopcat

International Regular
Shane Warne said:
Seek help. :laugh:
As i said, clarke out for 21, less of a tail wag and it would've been a lot closer, though of course with warne etc still very difficult. Not as mad a statement as some ignorant aussies would think.

twctopcat

International Regular
Shane Warne said:
Yeah, and if my prostate was a lemon I would sh.it lemonade.
Being hypothetical is what being cricket fan is all about, didn't you know that??? If we could see off mcgrath and warne we could win the ashes, simple as that...

twctopcat said:
Being hypothetical is what being cricket fan is all about, didn't you know that??? If we could see off mcgrath and warne we could win the ashes, simple as that...
If Australia could not get out ever, they could declare on a thousand.

Then if they could get every English batsman out for a duck, twice they would win by an innings and 1000 runs.

twctopcat

International Regular
Shane Warne said:
If Australia could not get out ever, they could declare on a thousand.

Then if they could get every English batsman out for a duck, twice they would win by an innings and 1000 runs.
Well done for reiterating my point. 8-)

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
I think England probably are the second best team in the world and they must not start too panic after this defeat there are clearly areas of the team that need improvment but just because they have lost one match too one of the best sides in history containing 2 of the best bowlers in history in top form shouldnt mean that we look too disregard the success the team has had in the last couple of years.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Adamc said:
It could've been a lot closer, but 'most probably would have won' seems a bit optimistic given the 239-run margin...
The Clarke one immediately suggests otherwise.

England with tails up could've gone on to take 4 in quick succession and been bowling at Gillespie when really on fire (rather than 20 minutes into a new day)

Scallywag

Banned
marc71178 said:
The Clarke one immediately suggests otherwise.

England with tails up could've gone on to take 4 in quick succession and been bowling at Gillespie when really on fire (rather than 20 minutes into a new day)
And if Pieterson was given out LBW and Langer wasnt out to a no ball things would have been even clearer.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
aussie said:
based on performaces last year they definately deserved to be, India did well in Australia last year because they were missing their 2 legenadary bowlers, while even though the score was 2-1 Australia totally outclassed them their.
I really can't subscribe to the "outclassed" theory. the chennai test was well balanced and could have gone either way but for the rain. that might have made it 2-2.

however, i agree that england do deserve the no.2 tag, having done very well over the last couple of years. also ppl, don't forget, the series ain't over yet, england could yet make a comeback, though i hope they don't....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think they're 2nd specifically for their bowling. Harmison and Flintoff's bowling is something India could definitely use.

England in India will be a very interesting series though.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
It's worth remembering that three of those drops came after the game was already gone, and Pietersen's first two weren't that costly, as Ponting got out soon after and the other was a tail-ender who didn't make many. I don't think the drops were definitive, even though they would have been morale-sapping.
I agree. Considering that in England's 2 innings they failed to outscore Australia's 1st innings total, which was considered low, it seems unlikely that it mattered.

tooextracool

International Coach
Shane Warne said:
Before the series and now I hear this term being banded about as if it's so clear cut but what about India?

They are the only team who have competed well against Australia home and also away over the last few years, whilst England have been beating the likes of Bangladesh, a poor NZ team at home, West Indies at home.

England were lucky not to come away from Sri Lanka with a 3-0 series loss and narrowly beat S.A.

India are a bit hit and miss, but at their best they are better. I think India would beat England at home more convincingly than England would beat India at home.
ahh what a surprise. losing one test of a series against the number 1 team in the world obviously means that you cant be number 2. if england gets hammered in this series(which they probably will), maybe just maybe it might suggest how big the gap is between australia and the rest of the world ATM?
as far as india being the 2nd best in the world is concerned, what a joke, the same indian side who couldnt beat a 2nd string pakistan side at home is obviously the 2nd best test side.