• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's up with Matt Hayden?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i dont know whats up with him, but one thing is for sure if he doesn't get runs in the Ashes he'll become another Bevan or Lehmann...

Come on Matty you can do it

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm far more worried about his little buddy. Mind you, Langer is all sweetness & light either, is he?!
And he's dangerous - he has a couple of black belts in various martial arts.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
And his bad run has gone on for how long? Three series you say? And the series before that he was among Australia's best? .
Well given that he (Clarke) has only played 4 series, I think your argument kind of backfires!

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Hayden has looked ****house in the ODI's

I'm sick to death with commentators claiming he's such an aggresive dominating player, he hasn't been like that for at least 12 monthes. He has tried to be everynow and then but just can't do it..

Tests same thing he hasn't had any flow to his game at all.. I'm happy for him to be given more time to prove his worth in tests but i'm sick of him in ODI's.. can't find a gap for ****!!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Well given that he (Clarke) has only played 4 series, I think your argument kind of backfires!
Why? People talk about Clarke's horrendous run of form, when he's clearly dominating in one form of the game and has had two bad series in the other (forgot the first NZ series was also good). How his run of form is worse than Hayden's who hasn't done a thing aside from one scratchy ODI ton in either form for a year is beyond me.

howardj

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Why? People talk about Clarke's horrendous run of form, when he's clearly dominating in one form of the game and has had two bad series in the other (forgot the first NZ series was also good). How his run of form is worse than Hayden's who hasn't done a thing aside from one scratchy ODI ton in either form for a year is beyond me.
You won't find me defending Matt Hayden's form - I started this thread after all. My view is that Hayden's ODI career should be terminated. He has been woeful in ODI cricket for quite some time now. As far as Tests are concerned, if he has a poor Ashes tour - averaging say 30, like he has for the past year - then he should be replaced in the upcoming summer. Phil Jacques would be my choice.

As for Clarke, nobody would say that his ODI place is under threat - like Lee, he's outstanding in this form of the game. However, people have genuine doubts about his Test place because his last 8 innings have produced only 120 runs. Put this on top of the fact that he only averages 38 in FC cricket - and therefore has not really proven himself - then I think the doubt surrounding his place in the team is justified.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nahhhh mate if Hayden does fail and the selectors want a pure opener replacement i would think they would go for hussey

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
As for Clarke, nobody would say that his ODI place is under threat - like Lee, he's outstanding in this form of the game. However, people have genuine doubts about his Test place because his last 8 innings have produced only 120 runs. Put this on top of the fact that he only averages 38 in FC cricket - and therefore has not really proven himself - then I think the doubt surrounding his place in the team is justified.
agreed, but even if pup is dropped from the test side for a while you've got a pretty darn good replacement in Hodge :D

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
Nahhhh mate if Hayden does fail and the selectors want a pure opener replacement i would think they would go for hussey
They may, but they should go for Jacques - Hussey's Pura Cup record is ordinary. Jacques is also about 5 years younger and has a tighter technique.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
They may, but they should go for Jacques - Hussey's Pura Cup record is ordinary. Jacques is also about 5 years younger and has a tighter technique.
Hussey averages over 100 in ODIs, and has a phenomenal record in England. He will definately be picked over Jaques should an opening spot become available. Jaques will, luck permitting, get his chance when the current pair retire.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
i'm not so sure about technique because i did catch a glimpse of Jaques batting for Yorkshire at old trafford earlier this season againts Lancashire but i cant say much about it because i saw him batting side on.

What i can say it looks to be sound but not so sure if its better than Hussey's

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Jaques will, luck permitting, get his chance when the current pair retire.
well after the Langer/Hayden combination splits i can see Hussey/Jaques up their for a while

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What the...? Jacques is still establishing himself as indispensable for NSW, let alone being looked at as a Test prospect. Jacques had a great season last year but a pretty ordinary one the previous. The selectors will need more from him before he's seriously considered.

Still far too early to say Hayden should be dropped after a mid-30's average too. He deserves at least another home season before his place shoudlbe in question.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Why? People talk about Clarke's horrendous run of form, when he's clearly dominating in one form of the game and has had two bad series in the other (forgot the first NZ series was also good).
Which form of the game is he dominating in please?

howardj

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
What the...? Jacques is still establishing himself as indispensable for NSW, let alone being looked at as a Test prospect. Jacques had a great season last year but a pretty ordinary one the previous. The selectors will need more from him before he's seriously considered.

Still far too early to say Hayden should be dropped after a mid-30's average too. He deserves at least another home season before his place shoudlbe in question.
You've got to be joking. So, if he's shown the leniency you suggest, he's allowed to average in the low 30's for 2 years? I don't think so. As Ian Healy said prior to their departure for England, if Hayden produces another ordinary series in the Ashes, that will be the end of him. As stated above, it's not just his average, but the fact that he just seems unable to build an innings anymore - in either form of the game. So, it's not just the end result (ie the number of runs), but the process in getting those runs.

As for Jacques, he's a player on the rise. Michael Slater and Matt Hayden were selected for an Ashes tour - and Slater for his Test debut - after only one and two outstanding seasons respectively. I would much rather see Jacques be picked than Mike Hussey, who has shown, this decade, to be quite a disappointment in the Pura Cup. Hussey's had plenty of time to prove himself. Now 30, I think - at least in the longer form of the game - his time has passed.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
When has Clarke ever dominated in anything ? He got a go in ODIs and did well, thus paving the way for a Test berth due to his age.

There are plenty better batsmen that have dominated Pura Cup and ING Cup than Clarke ... his been given a ride into the australian team IMO

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Which form of the game is he dominating in please?
ODIs? Clarke this year has 744 runs @ 53.14 in 21 matches. He, Smith and Pietersen have been the leading ODI batsmen in the world this year.