Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Australians watching a different game

School Boy/Girl Captain

Australians watching a different game

hello.

Can an Australian please explain to me why so many Ozzies are saying the England bowlers are on top form?

It was quite clear that all our pace attack was way off target in all three of the ODI games. Even in the won we won by 9 wickets our bowlers were all over the place. Trust me if our bowlers all were on form we would've at the very least got any team 7 wickets down.

Personally this worries me as they've only got till thursday to put it right.

Its like they are getting so desperate they are bigging up their wins.

I really do hope both teams are on the very top of their game especially seeing as England will probably never have a side like this again (well at least not for another half century anyway), then we can really see who is the better side.

Quote Originally Posted by Golaxi
    hello.

Can an Australian please explain to me why so many Ozzies are saying the England bowlers are on top form?

It was quite clear that all our pace attack was way off target in all three of the ODI games. Even in the won we won by 9 wickets our bowlers were all over the place. Trust me if our bowlers all were on form we would've at the very least got any team 7 wickets down.

Personally this worries me as they've only got till thursday to put it right.

Its like they are getting so desperate they are bigging up their wins.

I really do hope both teams are on the very top of their game especially seeing as England will probably never have a side like this again (well at least not for another half century anyway), then we can really see who is the better side.
    I think people are reading waaaaaaaaay too much in the ODI's played so far. I mean, England haven't been a good ODI side for some years now - they should be happy that they've beaten Australia a couple of times, in this form of the game. It's the Tests where they've made massive strides. Furthermore, I've never read a bigger load of bullocks than in the last two weeks about Australia's attack - that Gillespie is woefully out of form ; that Kaspa is out of sorts ; and that it is somehow a 'must' that Brett Lee be selected in the Tests . All inaccuracies, and none of them will mean a jot, come Thursday in the longer form of the game.

Maybe they pretend to applaud the good work of the bowlers (England) so that Eng are feeling confident and thus making an Oz victory more hurtful.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golaxi
    hello.

Flintoff was clearly in excellent touch with the ball, and was bowling very well indeed. Harmison was in pretty decent form really, and had a fair amount of success, and certainly bowled much better than he did in South Africa. Jones might have been slightly out of touch, and Gough is clearly past his best. Giles seemed in pretty decent form the little that we saw of him. Not sure where the shocking form comes in - just because you bowl poorly in a spell or two doesn't mean you are "out of form"... it just means you didn't bowl very well. Lee bowled poor spells as well, but he's clearly in excellent touch.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    i dont think McGrath of Lee are in particularly good form yet either, all the bowlers have alot of room for improvement.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

I thought in the ODIs that the Englishmen bowled decently, but not 'top form'. It was the Aussie batting that often let them down, giving away easy wickets. However, it means absolutely nothing come Thursday ...

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    Furthermore, I've never read a bigger load of bullocks than in the last two weeks about Australia's attack - that Gillespie is woefully out of form ; that Kaspa is out of sorts ; and that it is somehow a 'must' that Brett Lee be selected in the Tests .
    So you don't think the first 2 are true?!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

School Boy/Girl Captain

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    i was actually quite impressed with kaspa. Flintoff showed glimpses of form but not as consistent or quick as we know he can be.

I hope he gets that odd quicker ball back (90+) after that terrible injury.

As for Harmi its absurd to suggest hes even on decent form. Not only has the accuracy gone but hes bowling at about 10 mph slower.

anyway im sure fans of both teams hope all players are playing at least somewhere near their best.

International 12th Man
    I hope he gets that odd quicker ball back (90+) after that terrible injury.
    You mean Jones, right?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    i dont think McGrath of Lee are in particularly good form yet either, all the bowlers have alot of room for improvement.
    What the....? What was wrong with McGrath's form!??
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Hell no! Or at least not as truthful as people are making out. I mean geez, the way people are talking, it's like Dizzy has never picked up a wicket in his life. At least people should give his record the respect it deserves, and reserve their judgement until after we've seen him play some Tests this tour. ODI's are not a true reflection of a bowler's form. People really do over-analyse things. It's like it's fashionable to make big, sweeping, controversial statements - ie "Dizzy's lost his nip"; "Warney's not the bowler he was". etc etc
    Last edited by howardj; 19-07-2005 at 07:32 PM.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Hell no! Or at least not as truthful as people are making out. I mean geez, the way people are talking, it's like Dizzy has never picked up a wicket in his life. At least people should give his record the respect it deserves, and reserve their judgement until after we've seen him play some Tests this tour. ODI's are not a true reflection of a bowler's form. People really do over-analyse things. It's like it's fashionable to make big, sweeping, controversial statements - ie "Dizzy's lost his nip"; "Warney's not the bowler he was". etc etc
    I agree with the last part - but not the first. It's idiotic to say that a bowler has suddenly lost it because they have a couple of bad games... it doesn't work like that. However, Gillespie was clearly woefully out of form for most of the ODI series. He was bowling two sides of the wicket, he'd lost pace, he had erratic length and would put three balls too short and then bowl a wide half-volley, and only a couple of balls per over went where he wanted them to go. I'm not suggesting he can't re-find his form, but to suggest he was bowling at his best this tour so far is ridiculous. All it takes sometimes is a couple of wickets or a good spell and things start going your way again, and we saw that in the last ODI.

I'm not sure Kasprowicz was really out of form, he just had a couple of bad games, and clearly McGrath and Lee are in excellent touch.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    I agree with the last part - but not the first. It's idiotic to say that a bowler has suddenly lost it because they have a couple of bad games... it doesn't work like that. However, Gillespie was clearly woefully out of form for most of the ODI series. He was bowling two sides of the wicket, he'd lost pace, he had erratic length and would put three balls too short and then bowl a wide half-volley, and only a couple of balls per over went where he wanted them to go. I'm not suggesting he can't re-find his form, but to suggest he was bowling at his best this tour so far is ridiculous. All it takes sometimes is a couple of wickets or a good spell and things start going your way again, and we saw that in the last ODI.

I'm not sure Kasprowicz was really out of form, he just had a couple of bad games, and clearly McGrath and Lee are in excellent touch.
    Never said Dizzy was bowling at his best, just that the claims that he is bowling so badly that his Test spot should be under threat - on the basis of a few ODI performances - is absolute uninformed rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by age_master

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Never said Dizzy was bowling at his best, just that the claims that he is bowling so badly that his Test spot should be under threat - on the basis of a few ODI performances - is absolute uninformed rubbish.
    It's not just the ODI form.

The ODI's follow a series in NZ (7 @ 45.71) and one against Pakistan (7 @ 36.85)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information