• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's have a real game of cricket....

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Forget all this nonsense about substitutions, fielders inside the ring for 3 separate blocks of overs, coloured clothing, music blaring out over the tannoy and a white ball.
It would be nice to see a One-Day Series just played as a proper game of cricket with limited overs being the only difference. The greatest one-day spectacle is still the 1975 World Cup and not just the final. Dennis Lillee bowled a whole over of bouncers at Alvin Kallicharran and most disappeared to a different part of the boundary in the group match at the Oval. Cricket is the best game in the world, if you have keep on tinkering with it, it suggests there is something wrong with it in the first place.

Swervy

International Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
Forget all this nonsense about substitutions, fielders inside the ring for 3 separate blocks of overs, coloured clothing, music blaring out over the tannoy and a white ball.
It would be nice to see a One-Day Series just played as a proper game of cricket with limited overs being the only difference. The greatest one-day spectacle is still the 1975 World Cup and not just the final. Dennis Lillee bowled a whole over of bouncers at Alvin Kallicharran and most disappeared to a different part of the boundary in the group match at the Oval. Cricket is the best game in the world, if you have keep on tinkering with it, it suggests there is something wrong with it in the first place.
because the game has to progress with the times..and attract the Playstation generation

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Lillian Thomson said:
We had a lot of proper cricket played in the Sahara Cups played between India and Pakistan but we did have the infield restrictions and the odd incidents of players being called patatoes.

Swervy

International Captain
also do we really want to see 11 (yes 11) men on the boundary in the final overs just stopping boundaries

Steulen

International Regular
Lillian Thomson said:
Ah yes, let's play proper cricket. Just look at the IMMENSE THRONG OF PEOPLE watching "proper" cricket in the West Indies, Pakistan, New Zealand...

"why should we act? he's just comatose, not braindead or anything."

I don't buy the 'change = bad' attitude.
I think the changes will make the 50-over game more interesting and be good for the game's development beyond its current strongholds.

Steulen

International Regular
49.6 McGrath to Giles. Underarm delivery! Rolls it gently across the pitch, Giles tries everything but is unable to get it away for the three runs required for victory! Australia win by 2 runs!

No thanks.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:
also do we really want to see 11 (yes 11) men on the boundary in the final overs just stopping boundaries
I'd love to see the bowler deliver it from the boundary!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Steulen said:
49.6 McGrath to Giles. Underarm delivery! Rolls it gently across the pitch, Giles tries everything but is unable to get it away for the three runs required for victory! Australia win by 2 runs!
I think underarm is outlawed though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
Ah yes, let's play proper cricket. Just look at the IMMENSE THRONG OF PEOPLE watching "proper" cricket in the West Indies, Pakistan, New Zealand...

"why should we act? he's just comatose, not braindead or anything."

I don't buy the 'change = bad' attitude.
I think the changes will make the 50-over game more interesting and be good for the game's development beyond its current strongholds.
I think you have to strike a balance. I'm all for developing the game in other nations, but the gimmicks that are showing up today like 20/20, substitutions in ODIs, three blocks of fielding restrictions etc are in fact contrary to the spirit of the game. You don't see basketball, rugby, ice hockey etc massively changing their rules in order to be popular in countries which don't play them, do you? Cricket has a pretty solid sort of audience compared to most sports, I don't see the panic.

Steulen

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think you have to strike a balance. I'm all for developing the game in other nations, but the gimmicks that are showing up today like 20/20, substitutions in ODIs, three blocks of fielding restrictions etc are in fact contrary to the spirit of the game. You don't see basketball, rugby, ice hockey etc massively changing their rules in order to be popular in countries which don't play them, do you? Cricket has a pretty solid sort of audience compared to most sports, I don't see the panic.
Are these "massive rule changes"? It's still the same game.

Look at soccer. That didn't start out with substitutes, yellow and red cards, offside etc. etc. Those rules were all invented at some stage to change something that was going wrong in the eyes of the rulesmakers. But it's still essentially the same game as 100+ years ago.
Same applies to the 3-pointer in basketball, penalty corner in field hockey, tie-break system in tennis.

And the same thing also applies to cricket, imo. Also, the changes are not primarily to market cricket to new nations, but to reignite interest in places that should already be interested, like the Windies, Pakistan, NZ.

Beleg

International Regular
Eh, Pakistanies are interested in watching Cricket, just not 'test matches.'

It is still our top sport by some hundred odd country leagues.

;)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steulen said:
That has definitely happened...
Derbyshire v Middlesex, round about 1972 or 73, Sunday League, Chesterfield.

JT Murray was batting for Middlesex, and IIRC, they needed 20 off the last over. Derbyshire's bowler was Ian Buxton and he went for 14 off the first 5 balls. Everyone on the fence, even the keeper (kept his pads on, mind). Murray needed 6, top-edged it for 4.

Fantastic game of cricket, not even as high scoring as Lord's on Saturday (188 I think was the winning total). I went to the game specifically to see a guy I used to play against regularly make his debut for Derbyshire - fellow called Chris Armishaw (can't remember if his club was Aston or Elvaston or Alvaston - one of those South Derbyshire teams). Did all right too - got 4 wickets I think.

I'm sure you can find the scorecard somewhere at Cricket Archives

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
i know it happened before that why new rules improve the game, cus they stop things like that and underarm balls

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Steulen said:
That has definitely happened...
David Bairstow for England in a tri-series ODI in Australia. Made the old Ayatollah even more popular than he already was...

Swear I remember reading about this, but can't find any evidence scorecard-wise. Ed?

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
luckyeddie said:
Derbyshire v Middlesex, round about 1972 or 73, Sunday League, Chesterfield.

JT Murray was batting for Middlesex, and IIRC, they needed 20 off the last over. Derbyshire's bowler was Ian Buxton and he went for 14 off the first 5 balls. Everyone on the fence, even the keeper (kept his pads on, mind). Murray needed 6, top-edged it for 4.

Fantastic game of cricket, not even as high scoring as Lord's on Saturday (188 I think was the winning total). I went to the game specifically to see a guy I used to play against regularly make his debut for Derbyshire - fellow called Chris Armishaw (can't remember if his club was Aston or Elvaston or Alvaston - one of those South Derbyshire teams). Did all right too - got 4 wickets I think.

I'm sure you can find the scorecard somewhere at Cricket Archives
1973 - Armishaw 8-1-31-4

Shounak

Banned
Lillian Thomson said:
if you have keep on tinkering with it, it suggests there is something wrong with it in the first place.
I don't like this particular train of thought. Had rules like this been applied in the 60's, we would not even know what WSC was. Nothing can remain static for too long. I don't think it's contradictory of me to say that cricket is the best "game" (I prefer sport, but semantics) in the world and it should change with the times. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Let's apply these to other area's of our life. Do we wanna still be as technologically advanced as we were in the 70's? No. Was there anything wrong with technology in the 70's. In the 70's, No.

Just accept change, there no stopping it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Beleg said:
Eh, Pakistanies are interested in watching Cricket, just not 'test matches.'
I have always seen test cricket in Pakistan carry on with empty stands but was amazed this happened even during the Indo-Pak tests.