• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yousuf Youhana or Sourav Ganguly?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shoaib said:
Youhana's average in test matches is 47.46 while that of Ganguly is 40.9.So how is Ganguly a better test player?
Because Ganguly has only benefited from Bangladesh to a small extent, Youhana's had his average massively inflated by them?
As I've already mentioned:
Richard said:
Overall Youhana's average against Test-class teams is 42.82, Ganguly's 39.88
there's not too much to separate them.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Because Ganguly has only benefited from Bangladesh to a small extent, Youhana's had his average massively inflated by them?
As I've already mentioned: there's not too much to separate them.
I think there is a lot to separate them.....

In the last 5 and a half years in games NOT against Bangladesh Youhana has played 39 tests, scored 2872 runs at 46.32 with 10 centuries and 11 50's

In the same timeframe, ganguly has played 47 tests, scored 2274 runs at 32.95 with 4 100's and 10 50's

Quite clearly since the turn of the century Youhana has been the far more successful player

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, yes, indeed, but Ganguly has played far stronger attacks than Youhana.
Think about it... when was the last time Youhana succeeded against a decent attack?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Oh, yes, indeed, but Ganguly has played far stronger attacks than Youhana.
Think about it... when was the last time Youhana succeeded against a decent attack?
It was a pretty darn fine knock vs Australia in Melbourne this season gone.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
I think that Youhana is the better player soley because he can score more consistant runs and can win the game for pakistan. Ganguly is a very good batsman when on top form, but does not always stay in for the length of time needed to make a good total into a match-winning one.

Duncan

U19 Debutant
I'd chose Yousuf Youhana in both forms of the game, but that is mostly due to Ganguly's poor form as of late. Overall, it would be Ganguly for ODIs, Youhana for Tests. Ganguly has lost some respect because of how pathetic he has been getting out lately, the man can't play a hook shot anymore. Youhana has been consistent throughout his whole career. I hope Ganguly makes a comeback against Sri Lanka and WI on the upcoming series.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
I would go for Yoyo ( patially biased) :p But they are both pretty much the same. Both 2nd best (ganguly 3rd behind Dravid) for their team, both go down the track to spin and both have flaws in technique. Youhana keeps on late cutting to the slips and Ganguly doesnt play the short ball well and it is a favourite shot for both.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly, and I think it's a fact that too many people miss - Ganguly has plenty to be arrogant about, and his arrogance beyond doubt acts as an inspiration to some members of his side.