• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's Greatest Characters XI

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Current players only, based on any criteria you like, name your XI of Cricket's Greatest Characters. They could be crowd-pleasers, showmen, comedians, spotlight-lovers, weirdos, fan favourites, nice guys or just all-round legends. This doesn't have to be based on ability in any way. Mine would be:

1. Marcus Trescothick (wk) - met him three times, top bloke, and a Somerset lad to boot.
2. Shahid Afridi - he's nothing if not an entertainer.
3. Sachin Tendulkar - my favourite batsman ever.
4. Graeme Smith (cap) - once again, just a top bloke and a Ciderman too.
5. Andrew Flintoff - need I say more? Shared a laugh with one of my mates outside the Oval last year, too - a legend.
6. Kevin Pietersen - brash, arrogant, explosive, and English.
7. Ian Blackwell - saw his 134* off 71 balls last week, it was fun to say the least!
8. Keith Parsons - a Somerset legend.
9. Shane Warne - he's certainly a character.
10. Ashley Giles - Heeeerrrrroooo!! Heeeeeeerrroooo!! :notworthy
11. Matthew Hoggard - a really funny and charismatic guy, it's a shame he shies away from the media so much.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Swervy said:
would darren Gough not be classed more of a showman than Hoggard?
It's a personal thing - I've always thought Hoggard never gets the recognition he deserves. He's not a showman, but that's not the only criteria. Also I've never met Goughie so I'm coming from a biased POV with Hoggard - but Goughie's certainly a character, he can be 12th man.

This isn't supposed to be a "let's decide on an XI" type thread - more a "post your own XI" type thread, so lets hear them guys.

Langeveldt

Soutie
1. Herschelle Gibbs (hilarious, tearaway nutter)
2. Marcus Trescothick
3. Chris Gayle
4. Darren Lehmann
5. Andrew Flintoff
6. AB de Villiers
7. RC Russell (capt, wk)
8. Shane Warne
9. Pat Symcox
10. Makhaya Ntini (energy, noise, pace)
11. Allan Donald (legend)

PY

International Coach
From what I've seen, Merv Hughes would be a bit of laugh to have in my XI.

I've only met a few cricketers and they weren't that friendly as they were all in a rush.

Not sure I could make an XI because it'd be based purely on TV appearances which isn't really fair. Don't think I could bring myself to have Shane Warne in my side though.....:p

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
the biggest showman I have seen in my life is without doubt Tino Best followed closely by team-mate Franklin Rose.

Chubb

International Regular
Zimbabwe Characters XI
Mark Vermeulen- competitive, arrogant, loads of money
Trevor Gripper- zzzzzzzzzzzzz, that's what makes him a character
Barney Rogers- "I enjoy spear fishing..."
Andy Flower- "Keep 'em here as long as possible, grind them into the dust"
Vusi Sibanda- whack, whack, out.
Andy Blignaut- male model, polo player, swashbuckling batsman, fast bowler
Heath Streak- Got to be a character to deal with what he has
Ray Price- My 2nd favourite cricketer of all time
Eddo Brandes- "Every time I **** your wife she gives me a cookie."
Douglas Hondo- the hair, the attitude
Blessing Mahwire- "I'm working very hard on breaking the world test batting record..."

12th men: Henry Olonga- not so demonstrative but incrediably brave, noble and multi-talented

Kudakwashe Donald Samunderu- For the name

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
oohw yeah got to love it when best takes a wicket..he starts pointing to his name...best:P

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Tino's a bit of a **** though. After the Oval last year, when I met most of the England players, he came out of the dressing rooms, and immediately the crowd outside started going "Tino! Tino!", and yet he didn't even acknowledge this - in fact, he got some big fat security bloke to walk out ahead of him and clear everyone out of the way because "Tino's not going to be doing any autographs". I didn't think that was the nicest gesture ever. Especially given that Chris Gayle, Pedro Collins and Omari Banks stayed for ages chatting to some West Indian fans.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beleg said:
the biggest showman I have seen in my life is without doubt Tino Best followed closely by team-mate Franklin Rose.
Ah, Tino Best.

Is that glazier still following him around hopefully?

("Mind the windows, Tino" - Freddie). Still makes me chuckle - not what he said - just the expression on his face when Best played all round it.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Brian McMillan
Mark Richardson
Paul Adams

Best looks like he's from the Pietersen/Nel school of attention seeking..

C_C

International Captain
Interesting thread.
I dont know what exactly is 'greatest characters'- for everyone has a character......
I am guessing someone is talking about a 'fun, riotous' character - the kinda 'daredevil and hoots' of a person.

In that aspect, i would say based on what i've read and the few that i've met, it would be Beefy, Tufnell, Kambli, Sobers, Imran Khan, Akhtar, Gibbs, Warne,Symcox, Funky Miller and Yuvraj Singh.