• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Captain over the past since 1990

deeps

International 12th Man
Who do you believe has been the best captain since 1990. Not just pure captaincy though, the ability to play a "captains" role to win matches is also important.

ie. Steve Waugh is preferred over Ganguly, for his ability to play a captains knock.

To me, Steve Waugh and Mark taylor are the two stand out captains, as well as Stephen Fleming.

i'd rate it

Steve Waugh as the best.
Mark Taylor and Stephen Fleming about the same and come in 2nd.

C_C

International Captain
Ability to win matches alongside captaincy accumen ?
Thats throwing a whole new wrench into the system.
I would say Wasim Akram or Steve Waugh.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Taylor is far and away the best captain I have ever seen. I'd rate him first, then daylight, then the likes of Fleming and Waugh.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Taylor is far and away the best captain I have ever seen. I'd rate him first, then daylight, then the likes of Fleming and Waugh.
Yup, I agree. It's amazing too, 'cause he seems like such a nuff-nuff in the commentary box. On the criteria given though, I'll pick Steve Waugh.

I never really got a handle on Akram as a captain. Like Viv, he seemed to treat his players like twelve-year olds (he might have had the odd twelve-year old playing now and then) most of the time, and I think it gave a lot of them more anxiety than confidence.

C_C

International Captain
Taylor was excellent and one of the best, but the best I've ever seen personally is Imran Khan.
He simply had it all as a captain - dominant personality, incredible cricketing pedigree and the brains to bring one of the most fractuous sides together.
Its little wonder that he is a politician now.

archie mac

International Coach
Yes I also thought Imran Khan, I would think Pakistan maybe the hardest team to captain. Although I thought Steve Waugh lifted Aust. to another level, I doubt he could have done this with any other side. (lack of Talent)

C_C

International Captain
Actually Steve Waugh IMO could've made Pakistan world champions.
They really bolloxed up the 90s with all that Wasim-Waqar rivalry.
Its rare that two newball partners of the highest qualities have such animosity towards each other.

archie mac

International Coach
C_C said:
Actually Steve Waugh IMO could've made Pakistan world champions.
They really bolloxed up the 90s with all that Wasim-Waqar rivalry.
Its rare that two newball partners of the highest qualities have such animosity towards each other.
I agree if Wasim and Waqar played with the same mind set as Waugh they would have been World Champs. I not sure even SRW would have been able to convince them to put the team first. As some one once said there is no I in Team but there is a ME
:wacko:

deeps

International 12th Man
Taylor was an excellent captain no doubt, but i don't think he played enough "captains knocks" so to speak, to be considered for the above criterea.

Wasim Akram was an excellent player, but a poor captain.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming hasn't been on form recently but he has achieved a number of firsts for NZ as Captain.

e.g. First Test Series win in the West Indies
1st ODI series win over South Africa
ICC Trophy win in Kenya

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Tim said:
Fleming hasn't been on form recently but he has achieved a number of firsts for NZ as Captain.

e.g. First Test Series win in the West Indies
1st ODI series win over South Africa
ICC Trophy win in Kenya
Plus the only 2 other overseas one-day tournament wins New Zealand has achieved in its history (Natwest series 2004 v Eng and WI) and the Bank Alfalah Cup in 2003 (against Sri Lanka and Pakistan).

deeps

International 12th Man
Demolition Man said:
Mark Taylor, better than SRW IMHO, just a pitty about the 96 WC final .
and there lies the defining moment of srw's captaincy career. Australia required a captains knock, to see them through to the next round. SRW delivered it and saw australia through. Something Mark Taylor was unable to do.

Something we see inzimam ul haq doing now.. Leading from the front when the team is down.

Mark Taylor sadly lost alot of form at the end of his career, not too long after he gained the captaincy.

Stephen Fleming has taken New Zealand to new heights and has had many firsts. However, he hasn't won enough matches of his own bat, to be the best captain/player in the above criterea

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
definately i remember in the 97 ashes Mark Taylor leading the aussies & he looked extremely good, but i dont think he was so much better than Waugh, for me they are close if not equal.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
i didn't rate waughs captaincy that highly.
Neither do I. Waugh was a good captain certainly, and in the same sort of league as Fleming and company, but he wasn't in the same league as Taylor, and Border was better as well.