• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Trophy 2005

Steulen

International Regular
In just over three weeks time, the 2005 ICC Trophy will be held in Ireland. At stake is the title of best associate country, currently held by the Netherlands after their thrilling 2001 final win over Namibia (where victory came following a misfield on the final ball of the match). More importantly, the Top-5 of this tournament qualify for the 2007 World Cup.

12 countries participate, in 2 groups of 6; it's 11 associates, with just Oman being an ICC Affiliate member :

Group A: Ireland, Uganda, Denmark, United Arab Emirates, USA, Bermuda
Group B: The Netherlands, Namibia, Scotland, Canada, Oman, Papua New Guinea

Winners and runners-up from each group will go to the semi-finals and qualify for WC2007. Nos. 3 and 4 from each group go into a play-off (cup-style), the eventual winner claiming the 5th WC qualification spot.

In Group A it looks like Ireland have a fairly easy path to the semi's and therefore the Windies, with UAE and USA (if they can get their act together) providing the stiffest opposition.

Group B is more evenly matched, with WC2003 participants Netherlands, Namibia and Canada having to battle it out with English National League team Scotland. On paper, Oman and PNG will be the whipping boys.

It's hard to predict the outcome, there are basically 6-7 countries who could win this.
Ireland will have three English county plauers, including Ed Joyce.
Dougie Brown and Gavin Hamilton will play for Scotland. John Davison is in the Canadian team. The Dutch have 'done an England' and included South African Essex-player Ryan ten Doeschate in their squad, next to MCC'er Daan van Bunge and former Sussex batsman Bas Zuiderent. Denmark have two county players as well: Amjad Khan and Johan Hansen of Kent. Clayton Lambert is in American colours again, and to general delight the one and only Dwayne Leverock will go off the Richter scale trying to move Bermuda forward.

It pomises to be an exciting tournament, with a number of fairly evenly matched teams...unlike your average Test series :p .

My prediction: Ireland to win it, The Netherlands, Scotland, UAE and Namibia to qualify for the World Cup.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
hmm...nice posts Steulen like it, on the dutch team topic, im dissapointed Atse Buurman isnt selected, Smit might be the vice captain but Buurman is a better keeper, and a more consistant batsman. the keeping part can be discussed but he is a better batsman, and a great team player.
i wonder what Ten Doeschate will add...?

Steulen

International Regular
kwek said:
hmm...nice posts Steulen like it, on the dutch team topic, im dissapointed Atse Buurman isnt selected, Smit might be the vice captain but Buurman is a better keeper, and a more consistant batsman. the keeping part can be discussed but he is a better batsman, and a great team player.
i wonder what Ten Doeschate will add...?
True about Smit's batting. Although his keeping is very good, standing up to everyone. IIRC, he was generally praised for it during the WC2003. Too bad he's batting 10 or 11. Who's the back-up keeper, btw?

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
they havnt ! thats the most stupid thing of all !
though i presume its Buurman as he has been playing some little matches for holland when smit was unavaileble.
yeah, a mate of me made the perfact comperation between smit and Buurman, Smit is the english kinda keeper very decent, buurman is more a australian version spectaculair bit healy like.

dinu23

International Debutant
well, the real contest will be between Netherlands,UAE and Scotland. other teams won't have a chance.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
well, the real contest will be between Netherlands,UAE and Scotland. other teams won't have a chance.
Hmm, i would say that Uganada, Ireland and Canada are all better then UAE, they never really impressed in these tournments since 1995.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
My prediction:
Group A: 1.Ireland, 2.Uganda, 3.UAE, 4.USA
Group B: 1.Scotland, 2.Canada, 3.Namibia, 4.Netherlands

Winners: Scotland
Playoff Winners: Namibia

Steulen

International Regular
No way :)

Netherlands are better than that.
Also, they start their tournament against Oman and PNG while the other contenders in Group B kill each other off. The Dutch will get a semi-final place at least.

brockley

International Captain
Ireland should get through 1st place or 2nd,imagine what that guy from middlesex will do to all the attacks.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
yup, i think they well go pretty good.
Chamida where do you base that on :O i mean we got a strong battingline up with the likes of van Bunge,ten Doeschate Zuiderent and de Leede(Who's having an awesome season!)
bowling...hmm tough one...Stelling can bowl. Gokke, Schiferli, JJ(esmeijer) and Raja looks oke to me. i think we will make it to the semi's..most imporant is ofcourse that we reach the WC!

12th Man

U19 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Is Dougie Brown playing then?

I hadn't heard he was going to be released.
yes, but he misses the first match.

being english i should hate ireland and scotland, but i want them to qualify

Winners:Ireland
Runners Up: Holland
Qualifiers: Scotland, UAE, Denmark (mainly as i know the captain)

dinu23

International Debutant
chaminda_00 said:
Hmm, i would say that Uganada, Ireland and Canada are all better then UAE, they never really impressed in these tournments since 1995.
the last time I saw UAE play against SL in some tournament, they really impressed me with their bowling.I think they might have chance.

cricket player

International Debutant
What the hell is wrong with usa?

They have players over 36 years of age and That sucks
We have so many good players in our league that can take the place of these old **** and make alot of runs but since The administration is corrupted no body can do anything about it,

I hope USA plays well because I want them to make to the world cup so hopefull in the future I will have a chance playing againts international teams.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
the last time I saw UAE play against SL in some tournament, they really impressed me with their bowling.I think they might have chance.
They have a chance but i don't think they aren't favorites

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
kwek said:
yup, i think they well go pretty good.
Chamida where do you base that on :O i mean we got a strong battingline up with the likes of van Bunge,ten Doeschate Zuiderent and de Leede(Who's having an awesome season!)
bowling...hmm tough one...Stelling can bowl. Gokke, Schiferli, JJ(esmeijer) and Raja looks oke to me. i think we will make it to the semi's..most imporant is ofcourse that we reach the WC!
I think they have a very good chance NL especially considering they are playing PNG and Oman first. But i just think that the other sides in their group are slightly better. NL bowling looks every suspect without thier old captain Roland something.

Namibia pushed Kenya all the way and they look like they don't rely on JB Burger as much anymore. Canada with John Davison could do anything, but if he get injuried or has a bad tournment then i think they will not quailfy. Scotland have really impressed me last season in the InterContential Cup and they look like they are improving in the National League, when you add the Englisg County players they could be very hard to beat.