• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you know that!

C_C

International Captain
The difficulty I have with this approach is that I've never seen an average come out to bat when a team was in trouble or take a blinding catch, or indeed do anything to affect the course of a game in progress.
Well that is nothing of a barometer.
Because when playing on a long enough timeline, almost every single player of some class has put in an awesome 'man on the burning deck' innings or two.
So unless we are talking about some players with ridiculously small amount of experience versus another with excellent experience, this factor is cancelled out.
Both Imran and Botham have had some excellent innings with the bat or ball.
But the point is, that is utterly irrelevant in the long term, because such innings are few and far between and even if you look at Lara, the best exponent of 'stupendous innings' in modern times for a batsman, you will struggle to find more than 10 such innings.
That is 10 outta 200+ innings or less than 5% of his career.
As such, those 'brilliant peaks' must also be balanced by every time he got out when the team needed a brilliant contribution and its the net aggregate of the highs and lows that determine how good Lara is or how good anybody is.
Because on a long term,day in and day out basis, that is what matters the most in terms of giving your team a good chance with the bat or ball or both.

And i did agree that Botham was the best catcher amongst all four of them, though Kapil was the best in the outfield followed by Imran.

C_C

International Captain
Strange that Pakistan should play its batsmen amongst the tail and england should play its bowlers(pretty bad ones at that) amongst the middle order batsmen.

Maybe the England side with Boycott, Gower, Randall, Gooch, Fletcher, Gatting, Lamb, Hick, Stewart amngst others, did not have the great batting strength of Pakistan that made it play a "pure" batsman (remember we are talking of his being as good as a pure batsman) amongst the lower order.
Apart from Gooch,Gower, Boycott and Lamb, none of the english batsmen form the late 70s or 80s were worth much. Stewart is largely irrelevant because he came in at the tail end of Botham's career.

And as i said, if you READ into Imran Khan's autoboigraphy,you will find that he was asked to bat up the order numerous times. But he felt he was more valuable down the order shepherding the tail, since unlike other pakistani batsmen, Imran didnt deal mostly in boundaries and was good at rotating the strike(and thus keep the strike).
You would also find this whole thing bullshyte, because when Imran DID bat up the order, he had statistics that would do any batsmen less than the 'absolute awesome' category proud.
And i guess if we are to compare batting positions in two different teams, then going by your non-existant logic, Gillchrist isnt capable of batting up the order and thus he couldn't dislodge Thorpe or Ganguly in the top six.
8-) 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
And start of the career to end of the peak is irrelevant, because it has a lot to do with where the peak of that person is located. When talking about start of career to end of peak for players like Viv, Botham, Lara etc., you are talking essentially of their peak only. As such, you have to talk about peaks only of other players.
And in that a peak starting at the start of a career is exceedingly unusual they deserve credit for achieving it.
So you think somebody who broke his back at 13-14 didnt know what he was missing due to wearing a traction suit for 7 months ?
Right-o.
WOW, A WHOLE 7 MONTHS!!!!! Atherton had to go through it and worse for 10 years!!!!!
Definately not the first time, unless you are into blatent lying.
Or unless you are. 8-)
Like i said- i don't have any beef against you. I only point out the ridiculous ideas you bandy around. That has nothing to do with talkin to posters on MSN.
Doesn't it? Do you not think people who consider my ideas ridiculous would feel it was pointless talking to me on MSN about it?
It is not the best of means but it certainly shows the nature of posters. Honestbahrani(sp?) has a pacifist streak- he has a long history of making comments that dilutes tension.
You have a narcissistic streak when you think your opinion is far more valuable than others, including current cricket players-people who are FAR more well equipped to form an opinion about facing McGrath for example and how much variations he has.
SJS has a typical 'my words are final because i am a golden oldie' attitude-though he manages it very politically.
neil pickup has a parental attitude where on some levels he sees posters here as 'children under his supervision'.
I could go on and on but the point is, posting patterns are very informative as essentially it is the electronic equivalent of lying on a psychiatrist's chair and rambling on on 'what you like'. Ofcourse,it is missing the pointed questions that a psychologist often poses-which is why it isnt as good a means. But to claim that a poster doesnt reveal his/her personality traits over a long period of posting is horseshyte.
To claim they don't reveal some attitudes and values is. To think that they reveal any significant amount (and knowing Neil personally as I do I can see the differences), certainly enough to make the sort of diagnoses you were professing to be able to make, is a quite ludicrous claim. Once again, you overestimate human capability, just as you do with the ability to judge speeds with the eye.
And professionals regularly humiliated amatuers in that era.
In an era when neither batting nor bowling was as planned and organised as it is in the last 30-40 years, there are some of the hugest descripancies in terms of averages popping up quiete frequently.
And more often than not, the 'lesser players' were amatuers.
As late as 1939, approximately 30% of the domestic league in england were amatuers and test teams still picked two-three amatuers per side.
Ofcourse that number steadily declined but nothig close to modern professionalism was achieved until late 1950s.
So... why did they continue to be picked?
Perhaps because, while mostly professionals were the better players, there were still a reasonable proportion of amateurs who could hold their own.
And add to that... the only place, with a tiny number of exceptions, where cricket was played professionally was England in the first half of the 20th-century. Why weren't England completely pre-eminent in the World game? Why were Australia almost invariably a match for them, and South Africa more often than not?
I have no intentions of making someone look the best or not look the best. On that aspect, i go largely on record. As per a Canuck having a pro-American bias, you will not find many Canucks that are overly fond of America and i certainly am not one of them.
And you think that there's not some sort of North American fondness; you think Canadians wouldn't take Americans over most other nationalities, the way Indians would with Pakistanis? Pakistanophobia is prevolant in far less of India than more, and it's pretty similar with Canada-USA. If there's any dislike of certain nationalities or regions, neighbours are usually amongst the last on the list, and you can get an exact same feel in Britain with Europe. Eurosceptia is a terrible disease here, yet still most feel more of an allegiance with Europeans than with those from anywhere else in The World.
Read carefully.
subcontinental cricket exploded in activity and popularity sometime in the 1970s. The following it had before then was a drop in the bucket compared to what it had after that period.
It was indeed.
Doesn't change the fact that it was still an incredibly popular game and one where there was a great desire to be successful.
That would be generalising. And even then, that generalising would be accurate if one had been brought up under a predominantly subcontinental environment. Since i've spent only 1 year in the subcontinent after the age of 5 ( discounting vacations), it certainly doesnt apply to me. And the last part of your statement is self contradictory. If there is 'absolutely no disputing it', then you ARE suggesting it influences my values.
No, I'm not, I'm saying that if you believe pro-Angloism influences mine, when it doesn't, then I'd be equally qualified to suggest that something influences yours that doesn't.
it is irrelevant to me whether you find my statistics flawed or not.
What you cannot accuse me of is inconsistency in application of my statistics.
I've deemed, from my experience in playing and watching cricket, alongside interacting with professional cricketers, as to what what the key criterions are. And i apply them uniformly to every tom **** and harry.
Which is why you don't see me contradict myself on issues. For eg, unlike many, i did not argue that Vettori is a superior bowler than his overall statistics because of his performance against Australia but when the same benchmark comes to Imran-Botham, the same 'logic' goes outta the window.
I have always considered performances against the best of the best to be one of the many factors influencing a player's standing in my eyes.
If there was any nationalistic bias, you would be able to show me a single example of me not applying my evaluation process evenly.
If you seriously believe that you should apply everything evenly you're never going to get anywhere. Fact is, for different players different relevances apply. For instance, for Imran his later career said more about him as a batsman; for Botham it was his earlier career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blaze said:
Wow you guys certainly love being right don't you?

At the end of the day does any of this actually matter?

Does it really matter who is right and who is wrong?
What would be the point or arguing one single thing if it didn't matter?
What would be the point of these forums even existing if it didn't matter?

C_C

International Captain
And in that a peak starting at the start of a career is exceedingly unusual they deserve credit for achieving it.
I see no reason as to why. Often players succeed early on in their careers on the back of a seemingly awesome game only for the opposition to expose a few flaws- and then they are subsequently found out.
Ie, like Jimmy Adams, Ian Botham, etc. etc.

WOW, A WHOLE 7 MONTHS!!!!! Atherton had to go through it and worse for 10 years!!!!!
And ????

Do you think it takes 10 years to appreciate back trouble or a particular injury?
and FYI, in all likeliness, my injury was a much more severe version of Atherton that lasted a much shorter duration.
I actually broke my spine. So if you think my understanding of the pain associated with a wonky back is lacking, think again.

Or unless you are
I am not. And i can pull out several factual inaccuracises from your part that i've corrected in the past.

oesn't it? Do you not think people who consider my ideas ridiculous would feel it was pointless talking to me on MSN about it?
Not necessarily. The art of debating isnt about hearing what you want to hear- it has a lot to do with hearing a differing viewpoint, even if it is sometimes extremely illogical and incorrect like some of the ideas you bandy around.

To claim they don't reveal some attitudes and values is. To think that they reveal any significant amount (and knowing Neil personally as I do I can see the differences), certainly enough to make the sort of diagnoses you were professing to be able to make, is a quite ludicrous claim. Once again, you overestimate human capability, just as you do with the ability to judge speeds with the eye.
This is arguing semantics. Depending on poster to poster, a wide amount of personality traits are revealed through their posting habits. Some reveal more, some reveal less.
I havn't tried to encompass your entire personality spectroscope- but merely pointed out two traits that i see - narcissistic delusion.

As per your quote about judging speed with the eye- next time, try quoting me properly.
I NEVER said one could accurately determine the speed of a delivery by simply seeing it. But i have very good reasons to claim that if a person with good eyesight watches two deliveries, they will be able to tell which one was the faster one with quite good accuracy.

So... why did they continue to be picked?
because there wern't enough professionals in the game and sometimes the professionals ( like barnes for eg.) were more interesting in chasing money from exhibition matches for the nobility and the socio-elites instead of going half way across the world to play some amatuer cricket. besides, the professionals in that era were nowhere close to being as hardnosed, cut-throat professional as they are in the modern era. The very essence of professionalism-in any sport- is 'anything goes' as long as it is within the literal rules of the game. The whole bodyline fiasco for eg, brutally exposed even the professionals of those eras as nothing more than overglorified amatuers in their attitude.

And add to that... the only place, with a tiny number of exceptions, where cricket was played professionally was England in the first half of the 20th-century. Why weren't England completely pre-eminent in the World game? Why were Australia almost invariably a match for them, and South Africa more often than not?
First, to claim that South Africa were a match for England more often than not displays utter ignorance about the history of the game.
From the pre-WWII era, South Africa and England had played each other in 16 series( one of them a triangular with OZ) and England won 11 of them, South Africa won 4 of them and 1 of them were drawn.
In terms of matches, England won 29 matches, South Africa won 12 matches and 23 matches were drawn.
Hardly the definition of 'more often than not, RSA were a match for ENG'.

Apart from England, OZ had quiete a number of professional players as well and owing to the lack of true professionalism in that era, the gap between most professionals and amatuers were insignificant.
Not to mention, there was yet another aspect that is largely forgotten- matchfixing.
It is well known amongst educated circles that Lord Harris was the first to propose matchfixing in cricket, most notably between 'england vs rest'' contests inorder to maintain a hightened sense of public interest.
W.G.Grace for example, was known to often engage in 'pre-match pacts' with the umpires, where he wouldn't be dismissed until he had made a certain number of runs- C.B.Fry engaged in the same act and admitted so himself.

It was indeed.
Doesn't change the fact that it was still an incredibly popular game and one where there was a great desire to be successful.
it was moderately popular at best, having a large amatuerish following until the late 60s/early 70s.
Wadekar's approach in Mumbai Gymkhana and India's victory over West Indies in 1971 changed all that.

And you think that there's not some sort of North American fondness; you think Canadians wouldn't take Americans over most other nationalities, the way Indians would with Pakistanis? Pakistanophobia is prevolant in far less of India than more, and it's pretty similar with Canada-USA. If there's any dislike of certain nationalities or regions, neighbours are usually amongst the last on the list, and you can get an exact same feel in Britain with Europe. Eurosceptia is a terrible disease here, yet still most feel more of an allegiance with Europeans than with those from anywhere else in The World.
Again, this quote of yours exposes your ignorance and generalisation from a very euro-centric view of the world.
Just because in Europe most of the neighbouring nations are friendly doesnt mean it applies everywhere else.
A recent poll conducted by CBC showed that approximately 65% of Canadians prefer Europeans to Americans.
And as far as India-Pakistan goes, you couldn't be more further off the mark.
Infact, the BULK of Indians and Pakistanis dislike each other with a passion. The primary reason being, that is the bread and butter of the politicians and the media. They feed off the initial divisions in the public psyche and have continously broadened it ( with the last 2-3 years being an exception) primarily because 'those damn Paks/Indians' line of thinking is the prime deflection sheild for their corruption.
The bulk of the people in both nations are highly influenced by their own medias and politicians, primarily because of a lack of broader media scope and ignorance.
There are very very few people in either nations who feel more of an allegience with their neighbour and most hail from the merchant/trading sector or the extremely well travelled ones. Religion often plays a huge part in it as well.
An almost identical scenario( devoid of religious zeal) is Brazil-Argentina sitution.
I know quiete a few brazilians and argentines here and most of them would take the entire planet over their neighbour.
I have just one thing to say to you - get rid of your idiotic notions about the world and engage in travelling the globe. I can tell you from personal experience that the world is nothing like you think it is from your confined geographical regions and nomatter how many expats you've interacted with or how much you read online, travelling gives you a far bigger insight and it more often than not, shows how laughably inaccurate one's 'educated and pre-concieved' one's notions were.
How Europe intearcts within itself is utterly and totally irrelevant as to how the rest of the world interacts with itself. How North America interacts within itself is utterly and totally irrelevant to how the rest of the world interacts with itself.
But these are some things you don't learn from books.

No, I'm not, I'm saying that if you believe pro-Angloism influences mine, when it doesn't, then I'd be equally qualified to suggest that something influences yours that doesn't.
Correct me if i am wrong but i am assuming that you've grown up mostly in UK. If you've grown up mostly in one environment, the media and prevailing viewpoint of that region always influences the person. I can give you a host of examples where people from a certain region holds steriotypical ideas of some other region and 'coincidentally' that is the media perspective as well.
Unless you've grown up in various different regions with different viewpoints, you really do not see the effect of the prevailing viewpoint on the psyche.

If you seriously believe that you should apply everything evenly you're never going to get anywhere. Fact is, for different players different relevances apply. For instance, for Imran his later career said more about him as a batsman; for Botham it was his earlier career.
Whats good for the goose is whats good for the gander.
Thats an old english saying.
Inorder to CONSISTENTLY guage a player's worth without individualistic biases, one has to isolate the criterions one deems as important and then see how various individuals of the same era stacks up in that respect. The only change being in comparing players of different eras, when you cannot accurately guage how much the error correction should be for a certain criterion. However, the criterion MUST remain the same inorder to assure consistency.
You cannot argue that Vettori deserves a higher billing because of his excellent record against Australia(the best team of his day) and then totally forget that SAME criteria when discussing Imran-Botham.
The ambiguity between comparing a Botham to a Pollock maybe in how much each criteria must be adjusted to get an accurate picture. Not from a total diametric shift in paradigm and ideology as to your evaluation criterias.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
I see no reason as to why. Often players succeed early on in their careers on the back of a seemingly awesome game only for the opposition to expose a few flaws- and then they are subsequently found out.
Yes, and for a few games it's applicable.
For over half a career it's not.
Do you think it takes 10 years to appreciate back trouble or a particular injury?
and FYI, in all likeliness, my injury was a much more severe version of Atherton that lasted a much shorter duration.
I actually broke my spine. So if you think my understanding of the pain associated with a wonky back is lacking, think again.[/QUOTE]
I'll say it again - pain alone is not the issue I'm referring to.
I am not. And i can pull out several factual inaccuracises from your part that i've corrected in the past.
I would ask you to dig them out, but I think these posts are long enough already.
Not necessarily. The art of debating isnt about hearing what you want to hear- it has a lot to do with hearing a differing viewpoint, even if it is sometimes extremely illogical and incorrect like some of the ideas you bandy around.
Er - exactly. So if people thought my ideas were utterly ridiculous they'd not bother. But they don't find them utterly ridiculous - so hence they are discussed.
This is arguing semantics. Depending on poster to poster, a wide amount of personality traits are revealed through their posting habits. Some reveal more, some reveal less.
I havn't tried to encompass your entire personality spectroscope- but merely pointed out two traits that i see - narcissistic delusion.
And been equally wrong about both.
As to other posters, I haven't a clue, nor does anyone else who doesn't know them outside the forums.
As per your quote about judging speed with the eye- next time, try quoting me properly.
I NEVER said one could accurately determine the speed of a delivery by simply seeing it. But i have very good reasons to claim that if a person with good eyesight watches two deliveries, they will be able to tell which one was the faster one with quite good accuracy.
And I've very good reasons why they can't.
because there wern't enough professionals in the game and sometimes the professionals ( like barnes for eg.) were more interesting in chasing money from exhibition matches for the nobility and the socio-elites instead of going half way across the world to play some amatuer cricket. besides, the professionals in that era were nowhere close to being as hardnosed, cut-throat professional as they are in the modern era. The very essence of professionalism-in any sport- is 'anything goes' as long as it is within the literal rules of the game. The whole bodyline fiasco for eg, brutally exposed even the professionals of those eras as nothing more than overglorified amatuers in their attitude.
Or rather it exposed how easy it is to bowl to such a field, but of course because more catches were in the deep and less close in it didn't from your perspective...
First, to claim that South Africa were a match for England more often than not displays utter ignorance about the history of the game.
From the pre-WWII era, South Africa and England had played each other in 16 series( one of them a triangular with OZ) and England won 11 of them, South Africa won 4 of them and 1 of them were drawn.
In terms of matches, England won 29 matches, South Africa won 12 matches and 23 matches were drawn.
Hardly the definition of 'more often than not, RSA were a match for ENG'.
By talking exclusively about pre-WWI, for a start, you're misguided. Everyone knows SA weren't Test-class before the mid-1900s and it's also fairly obvious I was talking about 1900s-1950s with referance to "were more often than not a match for England".
And whether or not England have an advantage, fact is South Africa were not completely outclassed, were every bit good enough to be playing England, and that's all I'm referring to.
Apart from England, OZ had quiete a number of professional players as well and owing to the lack of true professionalism in that era, the gap between most professionals and amatuers were insignificant.
Aha, so basically there was no professionalism before the complete abolition of the amateur.
Explains a lot.
Not to mention, there was yet another aspect that is largely forgotten- matchfixing.
It is well known amongst educated circles that Lord Harris was the first to propose matchfixing in cricket, most notably between 'england vs rest'' contests inorder to maintain a hightened sense of public interest.
W.G.Grace for example, was known to often engage in 'pre-match pacts' with the umpires, where he wouldn't be dismissed until he had made a certain number of runs- C.B.Fry engaged in the same act and admitted so himself.
And we know precisely when that sort of thing stopped, don't we?
Not to mention similar things - while obviously not as blatant - still happen these days.
it was moderately popular at best, having a large amatuerish following until the late 60s/early 70s.
Wadekar's approach in Mumbai Gymkhana and India's victory over West Indies in 1971 changed all that.
"Moderately popular" is really a rather misled term.
It's quite impossible to have a popularity remotely close to the current subcontinent level; just because it didn't doesn't change the fact that it was still very popular.
Again, this quote of yours exposes your ignorance and generalisation from a very euro-centric view of the world.
Just because in Europe most of the neighbouring nations are friendly doesnt mean it applies everywhere else.
A recent poll conducted by CBC showed that approximately 65% of Canadians prefer Europeans to Americans.
And as far as India-Pakistan goes, you couldn't be more further off the mark.
Infact, the BULK of Indians and Pakistanis dislike each other with a passion. The primary reason being, that is the bread and butter of the politicians and the media. They feed off the initial divisions in the public psyche and have continously broadened it ( with the last 2-3 years being an exception) primarily because 'those damn Paks/Indians' line of thinking is the prime deflection sheild for their corruption.
The bulk of the people in both nations are highly influenced by their own medias and politicians, primarily because of a lack of broader media scope and ignorance.
There are very very few people in either nations who feel more of an allegience with their neighbour and most hail from the merchant/trading sector or the extremely well travelled ones. Religion often plays a huge part in it as well.
An almost identical scenario( devoid of religious zeal) is Brazil-Argentina sitution.
I know quiete a few brazilians and argentines here and most of them would take the entire planet over their neighbour.
I have just one thing to say to you - get rid of your idiotic notions about the world and engage in travelling the globe. I can tell you from personal experience that the world is nothing like you think it is from your confined geographical regions and nomatter how many expats you've interacted with or how much you read online, travelling gives you a far bigger insight and it more often than not, shows how laughably inaccurate one's 'educated and pre-concieved' one's notions were.
How Europe intearcts within itself is utterly and totally irrelevant as to how the rest of the world interacts with itself. How North America interacts within itself is utterly and totally irrelevant to how the rest of the world interacts with itself.
But these are some things you don't learn from books.
All of which changes YOUR influences how, exactly?
You've said repeatedly that you're not one to be afflicted by any of this propaganda rubbish - how does most other people's attitudes change the fact that you would take Pakistan\Sri Lanka over Anglo?
And please - don't waste your time telling me to travel the globe. When I feel like doing so, I will. Otherwise, I won't.
Correct me if i am wrong but i am assuming that you've grown up mostly in UK. If you've grown up mostly in one environment, the media and prevailing viewpoint of that region always influences the person. I can give you a host of examples where people from a certain region holds steriotypical ideas of some other region and 'coincidentally' that is the media perspective as well.
Unless you've grown up in various different regions with different viewpoints, you really do not see the effect of the prevailing viewpoint on the psyche.
You don't? No, the unwary might not.
Has it occurred to you that without media there would actually be NO ideas of regions other than one's own? Whether or not that would be a good thing or not is open for question, yes, but do you seriously imagine that there is not a single piece of media that gives a true picture of the situation?
Or that, if you know what you're looking for, it's not possible to find that?
Whats good for the goose is whats good for the gander.
Thats an old english saying.
Inorder to CONSISTENTLY guage a player's worth without individualistic biases, one has to isolate the criterions one deems as important and then see how various individuals of the same era stacks up in that respect. The only change being in comparing players of different eras, when you cannot accurately guage how much the error correction should be for a certain criterion. However, the criterion MUST remain the same inorder to assure consistency.
You cannot argue that Vettori deserves a higher billing because of his excellent record against Australia(the best team of his day) and then totally forget that SAME criteria when discussing Imran-Botham.
The ambiguity between comparing a Botham to a Pollock maybe in how much each criteria must be adjusted to get an accurate picture. Not from a total diametric shift in paradigm and ideology as to your evaluation criterias.
Err - and I've said it should be where?
All I've said is that you can't possibly apply complete consistency to everything, because for certain cases there are difference relevant variables.

C_C

International Captain
Yes, and for a few games it's applicable.
Figuring out someone takes time.
Not simply playing more and more.
Botham was figured out for the last 10 years of his 15 odd year long career.
Thats 2/3ds the career he mounted to nearly nothing.

I'll say it again - pain alone is not the issue I'm referring to.
You can wiggle all you want- fact is i have far more credibility speaking about Mikey Atherton and his back injury woes than you do. Until you break your back and try doing regular day activities or walkin 3 miles to school, i suggest you shut it.

I would ask you to dig them out, but I think these posts are long enough already.
For starters- you claimed that a side has NEVER saved a match when batting for the second time with more than 2 days to go. I've proved you wrong on that.
Numerous such examples exist.

Er - exactly. So if people thought my ideas were utterly ridiculous they'd not bother. But they don't find them utterly ridiculous - so hence they are discussed.
Read my comment a few more times before you put your foot in your mouth again......

And been equally wrong about both.
Doubtful.
You show nearly textbook symptoms of narcissitic delusions. Oh and another thing- self analysis is redundant in psychology, since there are too many blind spots for the individual.
If you are this way on a shrink's couch, i can say with 95% certainty that you will come off with a diagnosis of narcissitic delusion with a penchant in pedantry.

And I've very good reasons why they can't.
And your reasons are wrong. It is a medical fact that from an eye-level orientation, the human eye is remarkably accurate in determining which of the two objects were FASTER.

Or rather it exposed how easy it is to bowl to such a field, but of course because more catches were in the deep and less close in it didn't from your perspective...
Horseshyte.
Lillee-Thommo or Holding-Marshall-Roberts were considerably more hostile and injury-inducing than bodyline and routinely bowled leg stump bouncers.
Except that in the professional era, it didnt create a ruckus and the batsmen took it professionally. That is the critical difference.

By talking exclusively about pre-WWI, for a start, you're misguided. Everyone knows SA weren't Test-class before the mid-1900s and it's also fairly obvious I was talking about 1900s-1950s with referance to "were more often than not a match for England".
And whether or not England have an advantage, fact is South Africa were not completely outclassed, were every bit good enough to be playing England, and that's all I'm referring to.
First, i am talking about pre-World War TWO era.
You take 1950s, which throws in another couple of series.
And South Africa were outclassed by England in the early 1900s in the same fashion England is outclassing Bangladesh.

Aha, so basically there was no professionalism before the complete abolition of the amateur.
Explains a lot.
Did i say that ?
What i said is, it wasnt a completely professional field and thus the professionals/talented ones massively profited from it. Which is why pre 50s was the era of absurd and ridiculous averages. Your average is not just a reflection of how good you are but a cumulative effect of how good you are and how good the opposition is.
If i am a worldclass bat and i get to face Dizzy, Pollock, Kumble's mom and your granny, chances are pretty high that i am gonna score a huge one with alarming propensity.
And if i were a worldclass bowler bowling to Tendulkar, yer mom, my mom and Boycott's mom, chances of 5-50 is pretty frickin high.

And we know precisely when that sort of thing stopped, don't we?
Not to mention similar things - while obviously not as blatant - still happen these days.
It happens today-how much is anybody's guess. But as to how much of it is visible to the media, i should point out that even in today's much more media-focussed age, it is far less an occurance as compared to late 1800s/early 1900s.

"Moderately popular" is really a rather misled term.
It's quite impossible to have a popularity remotely close to the current subcontinent level; just because it didn't doesn't change the fact that it was still very popular.
Dear mister pedantic. I said moderately popular- BY TODAY'S STANDARDS.
If it makes you any happier, i would say that cricket in the pre-70s India enjoyed the level of popularity cricket enjoys in New Zealand currently- largely 'temperate' following.
And if you had any understanding of the prevailing subcontinental culture from my parent's generation, you wouldn't argue whether cricket following in the subcontinent back then was largely amatuerish or not.

All of which changes YOUR influences how, exactly?
Because i've lived around the globe and grew up in nearly half a dozen different nations and over a dozen different cities, like anybody with similar upbringing, i see both sides of the coin and as such, have very little nationalistic or racist zeal.

how does most other people's attitudes change the fact that you would take Pakistan\Sri Lanka over Anglo?
What i am trying to tell you, mr dumb-as-a-post, is that other people's attitudes(ie, YOUR attitude) leads to the incorrect ASSUMPTION that i would prefer a Pakistani/Sri Lankan over Anglo.
That being said, i find hardly any english cricketers in the last 20-30 years to be in the top bracket, primarily because apart from Boycott, Underwood,Gooch, Knott and Stewart, rest do not stack up.
That includes your posterboy Botham.
However, i admire the english team's total output principle, where they exhibit 'sum of the whole is bigger than the sum of the parts' philosophy, unlike the subcontinental teams, who exhibit 'sum of the part is bigger than the sum of the whole'.

And please - don't waste your time telling me to travel the globe. When I feel like doing so, I will. Otherwise, I won't.
In that case, shut up about the world you have no clue about and instead of assuming stuff like indo-pak psyche from a few expats you've met, try to talk from experience.

You don't? No, the unwary might not.
Has it occurred to you that without media there would actually be NO ideas of regions other than one's own? Whether or not that would be a good thing or not is open for question, yes, but do you seriously imagine that there is not a single piece of media that gives a true picture of the situation?
Or that, if you know what you're looking for, it's not possible to find that?
The overall tilt of the media plays a fundamental part in people's psyche. Take american media for example.
There is rampant pro-israeli support and tremendous anti-arab sentiment going back 20-30 years. Now notice the media tilt- newscasts like NBC, Fox, etc. routinely gloss over Israeli excesses while overplaying Palestinian attrocities.
A similar media tilt exists in every media and unless you have experienced several different prevailing perspectives, you form little appreciation for the entire picture.

All I've said is that you can't possibly apply complete consistency to everything, because for certain cases there are difference relevant variables.
You HAVE to grade everything with complete consistency. Evaluating how good a player is, is similar to marking an exam paper. Whatever the marking scheme is, you apply it exactly to everybody. You do not go around giving someone 5/10 for making the same mistake someone else did and earned 7/10 for.
Likewise applies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Figuring out someone takes time.
Not simply playing more and more.
Botham was figured out for the last 10 years of his 15 odd year long career.
Thats 2/3ds the career he mounted to nearly nothing.
No, it's less than 1 third with the bat and just under half with the ball.
Not to mention the fact that his meaningful career only went on until 1989, and his return for 1991, 1991\92 and 1992 was utterly pointless and EVERYONE agreed he was past it then.
Whereas most people with much sense realise he was largely past it in 1984.
You can wiggle all you want- fact is i have far more credibility speaking about Mikey Atherton and his back injury woes than you do. Until you break your back and try doing regular day activities or walkin 3 miles to school, i suggest you shut it.
No, you don't, because unless you've read his autobio, with some compassion, you haven't a clue what he went through. I, on the other hand, have a reasonable insight.
For starters- you claimed that a side has NEVER saved a match when batting for the second time with more than 2 days to go. I've proved you wrong on that.
Numerous such examples exist.
And clearly I meant there was no realistic likelihood of it happening here, whatever my exact words were.
Read my comment a few more times before you put your foot in your mouth again......
Have done so, foot-in-mouth is purely your misperception.
Doubtful.
You show nearly textbook symptoms of narcissitic delusions. Oh and another thing- self analysis is redundant in psychology, since there are too many blind spots for the individual.
If you are this way on a shrink's couch, i can say with 95% certainty that you will come off with a diagnosis of narcissitic delusion with a penchant in pedantry.
Fortunate, then, that I'll highly unlikely be visiting a shrink's couch.
And your reasons are wrong. It is a medical fact that from an eye-level orientation, the human eye is remarkably accurate in determining which of the two objects were FASTER.
No, it's fact that, before speed-guns proved them wrong, they were thought to be.
Countless times people have thought such-and-such delivery was faster than such-and-such, and been wrong.
Horseshyte.
Lillee-Thommo or Holding-Marshall-Roberts were considerably more hostile and injury-inducing than bodyline and routinely bowled leg stump bouncers.
Except that in the professional era, it didnt create a ruckus and the batsmen took it professionally. That is the critical difference.
And leg-theory been bowled many times before, and taken "professionally".
If you think the two combos ever induced fractured skulls and multiple broken-ribs in the space of 2 or 3 Tests, meanwhile, think again.
Fact is, if Lillee-Thomson\West Indies pace-attack had ever had the chance to bowl leg-theory we'd have seen an abundance of totals in the 60-70 region and countless accusations of unsportsmanlike conduct.
First, i am talking about pre-World War TWO era.
You take 1950s, which throws in another couple of series.
And South Africa were outclassed by England in the early 1900s in the same fashion England is outclassing Bangladesh.
Exactly.
But from the 1910s onwards South Africa, while rarely winning series, always offered competition and were unquestionably worthy of playing.
Did i say that ?
What i said is, it wasnt a completely professional field and thus the professionals/talented ones massively profited from it. Which is why pre 50s was the era of absurd and ridiculous averages. Your average is not just a reflection of how good you are but a cumulative effect of how good you are and how good the opposition is.
If i am a worldclass bat and i get to face Dizzy, Pollock, Kumble's mom and your granny, chances are pretty high that i am gonna score a huge one with alarming propensity.
And if i were a worldclass bowler bowling to Tendulkar, yer mom, my mom and Boycott's mom, chances of 5-50 is pretty frickin high.
Obviously.
One problem.
Your comparisons to grandmas are wholly ludicrous and symptomatic of the lengths you will go to to talk down amateurs. While, far more often than not, they were inferior to professionals and as such most of the best players were professionals, the difference was less than club\county-second-xi, and nothing close to the pro\never-played-the-game ideas you bandy about.
It happens today-how much is anybody's guess. But as to how much of it is visible to the media, i should point out that even in today's much more media-focussed age, it is far less an occurance as compared to late 1800s/early 1900s.
Oh, and how.
Difference is, things such as pacts with Umpires are only going to be done once a player is already established as a superbody, such as WG and CB.
Dear mister pedantic. I said moderately popular- BY TODAY'S STANDARDS.
If it makes you any happier, i would say that cricket in the pre-70s India enjoyed the level of popularity cricket enjoys in New Zealand currently- largely 'temperate' following.
And if you had any understanding of the prevailing subcontinental culture from my parent's generation, you wouldn't argue whether cricket following in the subcontinent back then was largely amatuerish or not.
Exactly - and New Zealand's "largely temperate" following still makes the game extremely popular there, even if the team doesn't extremely often amount to great shakes.
Because i've lived around the globe and grew up in nearly half a dozen different nations and over a dozen different cities, like anybody with similar upbringing, i see both sides of the coin and as such, have very little nationalistic or racist zeal.
And you have to have a similar upbringing to see both sides of the coin?
What i am trying to tell you, mr dumb-as-a-post, is that other people's attitudes(ie, YOUR attitude) leads to the incorrect ASSUMPTION that i would prefer a Pakistani/Sri Lankan over Anglo.
That being said, i find hardly any english cricketers in the last 20-30 years to be in the top bracket, primarily because apart from Boycott, Underwood,Gooch, Knott and Stewart, rest do not stack up.
That includes your posterboy Botham.
However, i admire the english team's total output principle, where they exhibit 'sum of the whole is bigger than the sum of the parts' philosophy, unlike the subcontinental teams, who exhibit 'sum of the part is bigger than the sum of the whole'.
No, there aren't a tremendous number of particularly good English cricketers of the last 30 years. Botham, however, was undoubtedly one of the few and your misguided notions about him being worked-out stop you from realising that.
If he'd retired before 1984, you'd have no such silly doubts.
In that case, shut up about the world you have no clue about and instead of assuming stuff like indo-pak psyche from a few expats you've met, try to talk from experience.
No, I won't shut-up just because some people think I have no clue.
Maybe I don't have quite the clue some who have been there do, but like quite a few you have the misguided "you've got to be there \ have watched it \ etc. to know the first thing" attitude. Fact is, you can learn quite a bit by standing and observing, as long as you do it properly.
The overall tilt of the media plays a fundamental part in people's psyche. Take american media for example.
There is rampant pro-israeli support and tremendous anti-arab sentiment going back 20-30 years. Now notice the media tilt- newscasts like NBC, Fox, etc. routinely gloss over Israeli excesses while overplaying Palestinian attrocities.
A similar media tilt exists in every media and unless you have experienced several different prevailing perspectives, you form little appreciation for the entire picture.
Exactly - so the key is to make sure you experience several prevailing perspectives.
Not in the slightest difficult with the plethora of news-channels available at a few button-pushes these days.
You HAVE to grade everything with complete consistency. Evaluating how good a player is, is similar to marking an exam paper. Whatever the marking scheme is, you apply it exactly to everybody. You do not go around giving someone 5/10 for making the same mistake someone else did and earned 7/10 for.
Likewise applies.
Obviously.
Thing is, cricket is far more akin to an English exam than a physics\chem\maths type, where the marking-scheme is unspecific and can take in a broad range of understandings.

C_C

International Captain
No, it's less than 1 third with the bat and just under half with the ball.
Not to mention the fact that his meaningful career only went on until 1989, and his return for 1991, 1991\92 and 1992 was utterly pointless and EVERYONE agreed he was past it then.
Whereas most people with much sense realise he was largely past it in 1984.
I am sorry but people run hot and cold or are found out/get better with time.
I can have just 3 years of sunshine and play 45 tests in that period and then for the next 10 years i might suck and play just 20-25.
Doesnt matter that i have sucked for most of my career.
Same with Botham.
he was simply speaking, found out.

His batting was overrated because of his exploits in the ashes- well there is much more to cricket than the ashes. As far as i am concerned, he failed far worse with the bat than Imran/Kapil against THE BEST bowling attack to ever take the field.

No, you don't, because unless you've read his autobio, with some compassion, you haven't a clue what he went through. I, on the other hand, have a reasonable insight.
Listen, boy.
You may've READ his autobiography, i walked in his shoes for a while with my back problem.
You gotto be the biggest **** to think that some goody-2-shoes idiot with book-knowledge has a bigger grasp of the pain and discomfort associated with an injury than someone who's actually experienced it.

And clearly I meant there was no realistic likelihood of it happening here, whatever my exact words were.
If you meant different, then like i said, do get remedial english classes.

Have done so, foot-in-mouth is purely your misperception.
In that case, rent a brain if your brain doesnt have the ability to see its own gaffe.

No, it's fact that, before speed-guns proved them wrong, they were thought to be.
Countless times people have thought such-and-such delivery was faster than such-and-such, and been wrong.
People are looking at it from an angle/side-on view from the boundary. As such, their lack of direct eyeball level line of sight leads to optical illusions. Batsmen on the other hand dont have this problem and most of the time when a batsman claims 'so and so is faster than so n so', they are right in most of the cases.

If you think the two combos ever induced fractured skulls and multiple broken-ribs in the space of 2 or 3 Tests, meanwhile, think again.
Which underscores the incompetence of the batsmen to face the highest-level bowling really.

Fact is, if Lillee-Thomson\West Indies pace-attack had ever had the chance to bowl leg-theory we'd have seen an abundance of totals in the 60-70 region and countless accusations of unsportsmanlike conduct.
You have no understanding of leg-theory then.
Lillee-Thommo/WI pace attack consistently bowled leg theory. Which centered on bowling leg stump bouncers to the batsman and targetting the body.
THAT was central to the leg theory and that has been done at far greater pace, efficiency and consistency by the WI bowlers/lillee-thommo than those dibbly dobblies.
The fielding position was there to snap up the catches offered but the MAIN component of leg theory was maiming batsmen.

But from the 1910s onwards South Africa, while rarely winning series, always offered competition and were unquestionably worthy of playing.
Maybe from 1930s onwards but before that they were a pretty shyte team.
Before 1910s, they were the bangladesh of their era.

Your comparisons to grandmas are wholly ludicrous and symptomatic of the lengths you will go to to talk down amateurs. While, far more often than not, they were inferior to professionals and as such most of the best players were professionals, the difference was less than club\county-second-xi, and nothing close to the pro\never-played-the-game ideas you bandy about.
The difference was so vast that it is ridiculous.
Its more like Test class versus local club XI in some cases.
Or atleast, that is the contention of several sports historians. I highly doubt you have any credible evidence to question otherwise.

Oh, and how.
Difference is, things such as pacts with Umpires are only going to be done once a player is already established as a superbody, such as WG and CB.
It is different because it was very very widespread. Most of the 'established' players did it and whether one needs to be a superbody or not is irrelevant, as the matchfixing saga proves- very very few people 'murmured about' in the matchfixing reports were nobody alsoran players.

Exactly - and New Zealand's "largely temperate" following still makes the game extremely popular there, even if the team doesn't extremely often amount to great shakes.
Like i said, dont argue semantics with me. I think i have far more contacts in Indian cricket than you do and i know far more golden oldies from India who are cricket fanatics than you do. Cricket popularity in India pre 1970s was akin to cricket popularity in britain in the 1990s- that is to say not too hot. Stop contesting stuff you have no clue about.

And you have to have a similar upbringing to see both sides of the coin?
I've grown up in Italy,Switzerland,India,Qatar and England and have lived extensively in Canada. Like i said, it may sound like bragging, but the plain truth is, you have little clue about seeing the opposite sides of the coin until you travel and live in other cultures extensively.

No, there aren't a tremendous number of particularly good English cricketers of the last 30 years. Botham, however, was undoubtedly one of the few and your misguided notions about him being worked-out stop you from realising that.
If he'd retired before 1984, you'd have no such silly doubts.
If if if. Fact is he didnt. And if he retired in 1984, it would've represented solely the peak of his career. Peak-wise, it is pretty impressive but there are peaks considerably more impressive than Botham's. Like i said before, if everybody started right before their peak and retired right after it was over, many would be boasting over 60 batting averages and under 20 bowling averages. In case of Imran, he would be boasting a 50+ batting average and a 20-21 bowling average.
Botham was a great cricketer but he doesnt stack up to the likes of Imran Khan and is inferior to the likes of Kapil Dev in allround capabilities.
When i said England hasnt produced many top-flight cricketers in the last 30 years, i mean they havn't had any cricketers who you would put in the same bracket as Gavaskar,Viv,Tendy,Lara,Steve Waugh,Border,Marshall,Imran,McGrath,Hadlee(bowler),Murali, Warne, etc etc.

The only ones who genuinely stacks up, in my opinion, are Knott- who i consider to be the BEST wicketkeeper-batsman and Boycott, who i would rate second to Gavaskar in opening stakes. Gooch is some distance behind and so are the rest.

Maybe I don't have quite the clue some who have been there do, but like quite a few you have the misguided "you've got to be there \ have watched it \ etc. to know the first thing" attitude. Fact is, you can learn quite a bit by standing and observing, as long as you do it properly.
You learn a lot by standing and observing. But to do that, you have to BE in the vicinity of the culture, not a few thousand miles away relying on one-eyed medias and a few expats.
Your idea about Ind-Pak are way way off the mark and had you lived/visited India/Pak for any length of time, you'd have realised your sillyness.

Exactly - so the key is to make sure you experience several prevailing perspectives.
Not in the slightest difficult with the plethora of news-channels available at a few button-pushes these days.
News channel is quiete different from LIVING in a place. Often newschannels arnt close to the truth- simply because of their tendency to be politically correct and not to mention, several news services spanning several countries are affiliates.

For eg,You can watch all 20-30 american news channels if you want but you still won't get the arab perspective on things- for that, you'd have to BE THERE and interact with the people.Al-Jazeera is close to the mark in some cases and way way off the mark in some.

Thing is, cricket is far more akin to an English exam than a physics\chem\maths type, where the marking-scheme is unspecific and can take in a broad range of understandings.
hah!
Actually in most universities these days, there are very distinct marking schemes in English, almost identical to how you mark a science paper.
If you ask a prof why you got a 15 and your mate a 16, he would be able to precisely point to the place where you lost the mark in the marking scheme, instead of giving the ambigous 'it wasnt as well written'.
Besides,i disagree that cricket is ambigous. There is nothing ambigious about cricket for me.

C_C

International Captain
Swervy said:
did you have a good holiday CC?
Well..i cant think of a muscle in my body that aint sore.....including the <ahem ahem> :p :p climbing blackcomb didnt happen...so we went and climbed Grouse mountain instead....was a bit freaked out as we spotted a black bear a 100 yards from us....My highschool mates flew down here for a week and we basically did a lotta hiking, shooting pictures and chilling in the bars late in the night chasing chicks.....overall, yeah it was a blast....but i am about 200 bucks shorter than i thought i would be..... if there was an OT forum, i might write about it.....but thanks for asking! hope your week was fulfilling as well !!

Swervy

International Captain
C_C said:
Well..i cant think of a muscle in my body that aint sore.....including the <ahem ahem> :p :p climbing blackcomb didnt happen...so we went and climbed Grouse mountain instead....was a bit freaked out as we spotted a black bear a 100 yards from us....My highschool mates flew down here for a week and we basically did a lotta hiking, shooting pictures and chilling in the bars late in the night chasing chicks.....overall, yeah it was a blast....but i am about 200 bucks shorter than i thought i would be..... if there was an OT forum, i might write about it.....but thanks for asking! hope your week was fulfilling as well !!
there is an OT forum!!!!!

muscle or bone???? :D

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
quick question, do you happen to know how botham was worked out?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
gasp!!! you didn't know there was an OT forum!??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
I am sorry but people run hot and cold or are found out/get better with time.
I can have just 3 years of sunshine and play 45 tests in that period and then for the next 10 years i might suck and play just 20-25.
Doesnt matter that i have sucked for most of my career.
Except I haven't - I've done very well for far more of my career than not.
In case you haven't noticed, 45 is far, far more than 20-25.
His batting was overrated because of his exploits in the ashes- well there is much more to cricket than the ashes. As far as i am concerned, he failed far worse with the bat than Imran/Kapil against THE BEST bowling attack to ever take the field.
And as I've said, the fact that he failed against them doesn't really matter, because so many did.
That his batting may be slightly overrated does not change the fact that he was a much better batsman than both Imran and Kapil.
Listen, boy.
You may've READ his autobiography, i walked in his shoes for a while with my back problem.
You gotto be the biggest **** to think that some goody-2-shoes idiot with book-knowledge has a bigger grasp of the pain and discomfort associated with an injury than someone who's actually experienced it.
And I've said I've a better grasp of the pain and discomfort where?
I've said I have a better grasp of what Atherton went through than you, because the back-pain was merely the beginning.
If you meant different, then like i said, do get remedial english classes.
No need.
In that case, rent a brain if your brain doesnt have the ability to see its own gaffe.
I won't see something that doesn't exist.
People are looking at it from an angle/side-on view from the boundary. As such, their lack of direct eyeball level line of sight leads to optical illusions. Batsmen on the other hand dont have this problem and most of the time when a batsman claims 'so and so is faster than so n so', they are right in most of the cases.
They're probably right more often than not if they face the two deliveries one right after the other.
If they are days or years apart they'll probably be right 50% of the time, which can be explained by basic laws of probability.
Which underscores the incompetence of the batsmen to face the highest-level bowling really.
No, it underscores that batting was far more dangerous in the 1930s than the late-1970s onwards.
You have no understanding of leg-theory then.
Lillee-Thommo/WI pace attack consistently bowled leg theory. Which centered on bowling leg stump bouncers to the batsman and targetting the body.
THAT was central to the leg theory and that has been done at far greater pace, efficiency and consistency by the WI bowlers/lillee-thommo than those dibbly dobblies.
The fielding position was there to snap up the catches offered but the MAIN component of leg theory was maiming batsmen.
No, leg-theory refers exclusively to the field-setting, and Thomson-Lillee\WI-attack never bowled it because they were never allowed.
Injury was never important, as it never is - what mattered, as always, was getting wickets and not conceding runs, and funnily enough it worked.
But it never has again, because it's never been allowed since.
Maybe from 1930s onwards but before that they were a pretty shyte team.
Before 1910s, they were the bangladesh of their era.
And amazingly enough I wasn't referring to the pre-1910s era.
The difference was so vast that it is ridiculous.
Its more like Test class versus local club XI in some cases.
Or atleast, that is the contention of several sports historians. I highly doubt you have any credible evidence to question otherwise.
I'd like to see their credible evidence to suggest so.
Because the more likely class is Test vs domestic-side class.
It is different because it was very very widespread. Most of the 'established' players did it and whether one needs to be a superbody or not is irrelevant, as the matchfixing saga proves- very very few people 'murmured about' in the matchfixing reports were nobody alsoran players.
So who else admitted doing it regularly, then?
Like i said, dont argue semantics with me. I think i have far more contacts in Indian cricket than you do and i know far more golden oldies from India who are cricket fanatics than you do. Cricket popularity in India pre 1970s was akin to cricket popularity in britain in the 1990s- that is to say not too hot. Stop contesting stuff you have no clue about.
Where am I doing that? All I'm saying is that saying it's as popular as in 1990s Britain isn't really a massive downer on it's popularity, because being not as popular as the modern-day subcontinent says absolutely nothing; and believe it or not cricket in 1990s Britain (it was more watched 10 years ago than it is currently, incidentally) was popular enough to be called "very popular" or similar.
I've grown up in Italy,Switzerland,India,Qatar and England and have lived extensively in Canada. Like i said, it may sound like bragging, but the plain truth is, you have little clue about seeing the opposite sides of the coin until you travel and live in other cultures extensively.
Doesn't sound like bragging at all - you clearly believe it's true.
I believe otherwise.
If if if. Fact is he didnt. And if he retired in 1984, it would've represented solely the peak of his career. Peak-wise, it is pretty impressive but there are peaks considerably more impressive than Botham's. Like i said before, if everybody started right before their peak and retired right after it was over, many would be boasting over 60 batting averages and under 20 bowling averages. In case of Imran, he would be boasting a 50+ batting average and a 20-21 bowling average.
Tell me something - where have I said that Botham was better than Imran? Where have I said he was EVER a better bowler, at any point? Even when he had an average of 20, I'd say Imran was still probably marginally the better bowler.
Nonetheless, I'd like you to find me a few cricketers who played 40 or 50 Tests FROM THE START OF THEIR CAREERS and had sub-20 bowling-averages and 60-plus batting-averages.
Botham was a great cricketer but he doesnt stack up to the likes of Imran Khan and is inferior to the likes of Kapil Dev in allround capabilities.
When i said England hasnt produced many top-flight cricketers in the last 30 years, i mean they havn't had any cricketers who you would put in the same bracket as Gavaskar,Viv,Tendy,Lara,Steve Waugh,Border,Marshall,Imran,McGrath,Hadlee(bowler),Murali, Warne, etc etc.

The only ones who genuinely stacks up, in my opinion, are Knott- who i consider to be the BEST wicketkeeper-batsman and Boycott, who i would rate second to Gavaskar in opening stakes. Gooch is some distance behind and so are the rest.
Gooch is, of course - Gooch was an average Test-match batsman until the last 5 years of his career. Doesn't change the fact that his last 5 years were still utterly remarkable and something few have ever achieved.
And in my opinion Botham - before 1984 - was fit to rank alongside the "Gavaskar,Viv,Tendy,Lara,Steve Waugh,Border,Marshall,Imran,McGrath,Hadlee(bowler),Murali, Warne, etc etc." lot.
You learn a lot by standing and observing. But to do that, you have to BE in the vicinity of the culture, not a few thousand miles away relying on one-eyed medias and a few expats.
Your idea about Ind-Pak are way way off the mark and had you lived/visited India/Pak for any length of time, you'd have realised your sillyness.
My ideas about Ind-Pak are way way off the mark? I've said all Indians have always loved all Pakistanis where? Or even that they've always preferred one another to Anglians?
News channel is quiete different from LIVING in a place. Often newschannels arnt close to the truth- simply because of their tendency to be politically correct and not to mention, several news services spanning several countries are affiliates.

For eg,You can watch all 20-30 american news channels if you want but you still won't get the arab perspective on things- for that, you'd have to BE THERE and interact with the people.Al-Jazeera is close to the mark in some cases and way way off the mark in some.
And Al-Jazeera isn't the only Arab news-channel, by any SOTI - and anyone who wants a view of The World that isn't Anglo-biased should spend a bit of time watching such channels.
Always bearing in mind the need to be politically-correct that most stations have, too, you can use innuendo to work-out the rest.
hah!
Actually in most universities these days, there are very distinct marking schemes in English, almost identical to how you mark a science paper.
If you ask a prof why you got a 15 and your mate a 16, he would be able to precisely point to the place where you lost the mark in the marking scheme, instead of giving the ambigous 'it wasnt as well written'.
And Graduate level reprisents the pinnacle that few ever reach.
At a more general level English is an exceptionally ambiguous subject and marking-schemes reflect that.
Besides,i disagree that cricket is ambigous. There is nothing ambigious about cricket for me.
And that's where you fall down. While cricket is nowhere near as ambiguous as some like to think, there is still plenty that is impossible to pin-down with precise numbers and if you don't understand that you'll not get too far in it's analysis.

C_C

International Captain
Except I haven't - I've done very well for far more of my career than not.
In case you haven't noticed, 45 is far, far more than 20-25.
If your career was compressed into your good years, it implies that you wernt good enough to play after you were found out.
Exploring someone's weaknesses requires time- not just playing more and more.

And as I've said, the fact that he failed against them doesn't really matter, because so many did.
That his batting may be slightly overrated does not change the fact that he was a much better batsman than both Imran and Kapil.
If you dont perform against the best of the best, you take a big hit in my book -for then you are an overglorified minnow basher. Sure, everyone took a hit against the WI. But Botham was utterly pathetic - Imran/Kapil etc. did significantly better than Botham against the best of the best.
Botham isnt in the same class as Imran as far as batting goes and i would put kapil ahead of him.
All Botham has is centuries - that too mostly against a poor IND attack.

And I've said I've a better grasp of the pain and discomfort where?
I've said I have a better grasp of what Atherton went through than you, because the back-pain was merely the beginning.
If you have no idea of the pain and discomfort associated with a debilitating back condition , then you DO NOT have a better grasp about Atherton's day to day life than someone else who does have a back malfunction- unless you are personally associated with Athers.
For understanding the pain and discomfort is the centerpiece of understanding the life one had to lead bearing it.

You do, since you seem to have a comprehension problem.You make statements like 'no one has ever done this' and when someone corrects you, you assininely debate semantics about it instead of a simple apology.
Like i said, yer ego is too big.

I won't see something that doesn't exist.
What you think doesnt exist is something your mind is too haughty to pick up.

If they are days or years apart they'll probably be right 50% of the time, which can be explained by basic laws of probability.
Nobody really cares about the fastest single delivery- atleast from a batting angle. What matters is your average speed when bowling full throttle......as such, there is a phenomenon called positive reinforcement.
If you face Akhtar for 15-20 matches and then walk out 10 years later to bat against a new tearway, you will be very well positioned to compare and contrast - since the previous bowler has impressed his bowling in your mind. Its like riding a bicycle really. It doesnt take rocket science to figure out if the bike in the store is better than your childhood bike that you havnt ridden for 10-15 years.

No, it underscores that batting was far more dangerous in the 1930s than the late-1970s onwards.
That would be true if it was all through the 1930s. As such, monstrous scores were being posted in the 1930s much more frequently than in the 1970s. All 1930s had was one series which went against the norm - as such, it underscores the amatuerness of the batsmen in concern.

No, leg-theory refers exclusively to the field-setting, and Thomson-Lillee\WI-attack never bowled it because they were never allowed.
Injury was never important, as it never is - what mattered, as always, was getting wickets and not conceding runs, and funnily enough it worked.
But it never has again, because it's never been allowed since.
You obviously have no clue about the history of bodyline or the logic behind it then.
The fundamental thing that made leg-theory work was the short-pitched deliveries on leg stump that was aimed at the body.
THAT is what got people crying about the 'unfairness' of it all - the legside fielding had been around for a while and was once famously used by the aussies to dismiss Ranjitsinhji by indulging in his appetite to the flick shot.
There were considerably more wickets falling to the offside or getting bowled/lbw than falling into the leg-side catching trap in the bodyline series.
That underscores the fact that leg theory was almost exclusively dependent on the short pitched leg-stump line bowling and not the field placement- which were largely redundant.
All i gotto say to you is, learn thy cricket before you wish to engage me.

And amazingly enough I wasn't referring to the pre-1910s era.
Then, mr smartass, you shouldnt be disputing the comment i made about South Africa being the bangladesh of their time for the first 15-20 years of their international cricketing existance.

So who else admitted doing it regularly, then?
ALL the Grace brothers, CB Fry and Sid Barnes. Many didnt admit it but the ones who did admit it said it was extremely prevalent in cricket at that time because cricket was a circus then- purely entertainment and entertaining the public took a frontseat over actual competition.

Where am I doing that? All I'm saying is that saying it's as popular as in 1990s Britain isn't really a massive downer on it's popularity, because being not as popular as the modern-day subcontinent says absolutely nothing; and believe it or not cricket in 1990s Britain (it was more watched 10 years ago than it is currently, incidentally) was popular enough to be called "very popular" or similar.
I lived in britain through the early 90s and apart from the asian community, cricket had little popularity. If you recall, cricket globally had an ebb in popularity in the mid 90s, with the subcontinent and the west indies exempted.
I've talked to and know enough golden oldies in the subcontinent to know that cricket in the subcontinent was largely an amatuer sport before the mid 70s. And you have very little to go on apart from your illogical mind.

Nonetheless, I'd like you to find me a few cricketers who played 40 or 50 Tests FROM THE START OF THEIR CAREERS and had sub-20 bowling-averages and 60-plus batting-averages.
As i explained, the start of their career to 'n' matches is irrelevant, because we are talking about Botham's peak. Which happened to be at the start of his career.
And plenty of bowlers/batsmen have sub 20 average and 60+ average in their peak years.
Botham's batting peak was a 35-40 average zone, Imran's batting peak was a 50+ average zone. Simply no comparison.

I believe otherwise.
Take it from me - or anyone who's been around the block several dozen times- your belief is flawed.

And in my opinion Botham - before 1984 - was fit to rank alongside the "Gavaskar,Viv,Tendy,Lara,Steve Waugh,Border,Marshall,Imran,McGrath,Hadlee(bowler) ,Murali, Warne, etc etc." lot.

No he is not, because their peaks far outstrip Botham's peak- and Botham's allround peak is outstripped by a few other allrounders as well.
And Botham's trough was far worse than any one of them, thus he isnt comparable.
End of story.
Selecting the peak period of a player and comparing it with the career entirity of others is flawed and not an even scale measurement.

My ideas about Ind-Pak are way way off the mark? I've said all Indians have always loved all Pakistanis where? Or even that they've always preferred one another to Anglians?
You've said that you believe that there are many indians who prefer pakistanis (and vice versa) to anglo-saxons.

these are your own words:
There are plenty and plenty of Indians who'd rather show favoritism to a Pakistani or Sri Lankan than an extra-colonial.

As such, you are way way off the mark.

And Al-Jazeera isn't the only Arab news-channel, by any SOTI - and anyone who wants a view of The World that isn't Anglo-biased should spend a bit of time watching such channels.
It is one of the few arab channels that broadcast their viewpoint in english.
And like i said, what you know from the confines of your culture and your trusty media outlets is insignificant to what one knows when one travels and lives in other lands.
Like i said- travel some more and then talk.

And Graduate level reprisents the pinnacle that few ever reach.
At a more general level English is an exceptionally ambiguous subject and marking-schemes reflect that.
Actually, in the last 5 years, even highschool english is marked by a very precise marking scheme.
Regardless, i dont care about substandard markings or analogies.

And that's where you fall down. While cricket is nowhere near as ambiguous as some like to think, there is still plenty that is impossible to pin-down with precise numbers and if you don't understand that you'll not get too far in it's analysis.
For the same era, there is very little left to ambiguity. And whatever that is ambigous pales into insignifcance compared to what is concrete.
Statistical analysis gives far more insight to a player's worth rather than media hypes and opinions- which are not completely objective.
And as such,if one wants to maintain credibility, one is free to define their parameters and weighing as they choose but one MUST keep the same parameters and weighing to ALL players.
That is fundamental logic in consistency.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
If your career was compressed into your good years, it implies that you wernt good enough to play after you were found out.
Or it could imply that you were a lesser player from a point onwards.
Exploring someone's weaknesses requires time- not just playing more and more.
No, it takes good analysis, which can be done by watching maybe 4 or 5 innings or bowling spells.
If you dont perform against the best of the best, you take a big hit in my book -for then you are an overglorified minnow basher. Sure, everyone took a hit against the WI. But Botham was utterly pathetic - Imran/Kapil etc. did significantly better than Botham against the best of the best.
Botham isnt in the same class as Imran as far as batting goes and i would put kapil ahead of him.
All Botham has is centuries - that too mostly against a poor IND attack.
And of course Imran and Kapil batted in exactly the same seam-friendly conditions as Botham?
If you have no idea of the pain and discomfort associated with a debilitating back condition , then you DO NOT have a better grasp about Atherton's day to day life than someone else who does have a back malfunction- unless you are personally associated with Athers.
Or unless you've read his excellent descriptions of it.
For understanding the pain and discomfort is the centerpiece of understanding the life one had to lead bearing it.
No, it's just by a slight amount the most important aspect.
You do, since you seem to have a comprehension problem.You make statements like 'no one has ever done this' and when someone corrects you, you assininely debate semantics about it instead of a simple apology.
Like i said, yer ego is too big.
No, I just don't like people trying to "prove wrong" by making silly wordplay when it's exceptionally obvious that "never" hardly ever means "never" and almost invariably means "rarely if ever" or similar.
What you think doesnt exist is something your mind is too haughty to pick up.
No, it's just something you'd prefer existed because you need it to further your exceedingly thin cause.
Nobody really cares about the fastest single delivery- atleast from a batting angle. What matters is your average speed when bowling full throttle......as such, there is a phenomenon called positive reinforcement.
If you face Akhtar for 15-20 matches and then walk out 10 years later to bat against a new tearway, you will be very well positioned to compare and contrast - since the previous bowler has impressed his bowling in your mind. Its like riding a bicycle really. It doesnt take rocket science to figure out if the bike in the store is better than your childhood bike that you havnt ridden for 10-15 years.
Except that judging riding a bike or anything such as that is utterly different to judging speed of a small ball.
If someone faces someone 10 years apart misperceptions are far, far more likely than not.
That would be true if it was all through the 1930s. As such, monstrous scores were being posted in the 1930s much more frequently than in the 1970s. All 1930s had was one series which went against the norm - as such, it underscores the amatuerness of the batsmen in concern.
Or it could underscore that an illicit tactic was used in that one series.
You obviously have no clue about the history of bodyline or the logic behind it then.
The fundamental thing that made leg-theory work was the short-pitched deliveries on leg stump that was aimed at the body.
THAT is what got people crying about the 'unfairness' of it all - the legside fielding had been around for a while and was once famously used by the aussies to dismiss Ranjitsinhji by indulging in his appetite to the flick shot.
There were considerably more wickets falling to the offside or getting bowled/lbw than falling into the leg-side catching trap in the bodyline series.
That underscores the fact that leg theory was almost exclusively dependent on the short pitched leg-stump line bowling and not the field placement- which were largely redundant.
All i gotto say to you is, learn thy cricket before you wish to engage me.
So why, then, was the leg-side field banned? Indeed, what was the point in it being set at all?
What got people crying "unfairness" was the fact that it was being used in a way never used before - and as a result it was far, far more effective than it had ever been with Root or anyone bowling it at the domestic level.
Then, mr smartass, you shouldnt be disputing the comment i made about South Africa being the bangladesh of their time for the first 15-20 years of their international cricketing existance.
Why not? I clearly never referred to their first 15-20 years of international cricketing existence. I'd presume it was you that tried bringing that in.
ALL the Grace brothers, CB Fry and Sid Barnes. Many didnt admit it but the ones who did admit it said it was extremely prevalent in cricket at that time because cricket was a circus then- purely entertainment and entertaining the public took a frontseat over actual competition.
It did indeed, more often than not at least.
Nonetheless the fact remains that it is not irrelevant that all the prevolant examples are superbodies - it demonstrates that this sort of match-fixing did not have any effect on the making of good players.
I lived in britain through the early 90s and apart from the asian community, cricket had little popularity. If you recall, cricket globally had an ebb in popularity in the mid 90s, with the subcontinent and the west indies exempted.
You really need to learn to read - I am perfectly well aware of everything you have stated here. You don't seem to be aware of the fact that in Britain there's not been any increase in popularity for a long time.
Fact is, even with a large dip in popularity the game still will still have a massive fan-base that will retain it's status as a nationally recognised entity.
I've talked to and know enough golden oldies in the subcontinent to know that cricket in the subcontinent was largely an amatuer sport before the mid 70s. And you have very little to go on apart from your illogical mind.
Whether it was an amateur sport is utterly irrelevant.
It was still one with a massive following, just nowhere near as massive as from the early-70s onwards.
As i explained, the start of their career to 'n' matches is irrelevant, because we are talking about Botham's peak. Which happened to be at the start of his career.
And with that he is extremely rare, and deserves credit for that.
And plenty of bowlers/batsmen have sub 20 average and 60+ average in their peak years.
Botham's batting peak was a 35-40 average zone, Imran's batting peak was a 50+ average zone. Simply no comparison.
Yes, there is, given the vast disparity in conditions and\or quality of bowling.
Take it from me - or anyone who's been around the block several dozen times- your belief is flawed.
If everyone believed you had to travel to experience there'd be no point in anyone doing anything, really.
No he is not, because their peaks far outstrip Botham's peak- and Botham's allround peak is outstripped by a few other allrounders as well.
And Botham's trough was far worse than any one of them, thus he isnt comparable.
End of story.
The trough isn't really relevant, given that it had little to do with a waning in ability or, contrary to some beliefs, a better combatting of that ability.
That anyone could outstip a batting average of 37 and a bowling average of 20, meanwhile, is extremely doubtful.
Selecting the peak period of a player and comparing it with the career entirity of others is flawed and not an even scale measurement.
Depends - if the comedown is influenced by factors while the lack of comedown in others are not present it can be perfectly fair.
You've said that you believe that there are many indians who prefer pakistanis (and vice versa) to anglo-saxons.

these are your own words:

As such, you are way way off the mark.
Really? So that's not the case?
Maybe it's not always the case, but then I never said it was.
It'd be interesting, indeed, to do some research on that matter, because without that we've only really got your word, and your word will convince few.
It is one of the few arab channels that broadcast their viewpoint in english.
And like i said, what you know from the confines of your culture and your trusty media outlets is insignificant to what one knows when one travels and lives in other lands.
Like i said- travel some more and then talk.
And Iike I said - I've no wish to travel.
I'm more than happy with the "outlets" I trust, thanks.
Actually, in the last 5 years, even highschool english is marked by a very precise marking scheme.
Maybe with some Boards - certainly not those that I've looked into.
Regardless, i dont care about substandard markings or analogies.
I do, because while they may be of a lower standard than University, they're categorically not substandard.
For the same era, there is very little left to ambiguity. And whatever that is ambigous pales into insignifcance compared to what is concrete.
Statistical analysis gives far more insight to a player's worth rather than media hypes and opinions- which are not completely objective.
And as such,if one wants to maintain credibility, one is free to define their parameters and weighing as they choose but one MUST keep the same parameters and weighing to ALL players.
That is fundamental logic in consistency.
Even when there are clearly many factors in cricket that cannot be defined by statistics?
Statistics tell a lot as long as you use them properly, but the fact is there are things that you cannot use them to interpret.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
That surely must be a record for most quotes in a single post.
EDIT: didn't look at the two posts above it. That's incredible.