• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lara omitted from the squad for PAK series

C_C

International Captain
His name is not on the list......official word is he is being 'rested'.
But since i visit CC.com, the 'inside word' ( a lot of them there are reporters and/or know some of the players personally) is that Dwight Yorke has a week or so to burn before his new contract in Australia starts and since he is lara's childhood buddy, they are off to Vegas to par-tay.
Apparently been in the works for the past week or so.

Not confirmed yet though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Rested? From a TEST series? That's terrible.

If he was under an injury cloud fine, but being rested to have a week in vegas is pretty poor for a professional cricketer. Surely he can go to vegas AFTER the series.

C_C

International Captain
Well as of now, he is rested for the ODI series ( PAK play ODI before Tests according to crickinfo scheduler)..... Test squad isnt announced yet...so i dunno if he is gonna be included for the test or not...we'll see.

Ofcourse...this isnt the first time he is doing it.....so no surprise...i remember the 'cricket is ruining my life so fawk the team and fawk playing england' incident.....or the 'we need more $$ or we not playing' incident while en route to RSA...not to mention, just a few weeks ago.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
So you're suggesting that he's refusing to play then?
I think so. Interesting if true. Something he couldn't do if he was still captain.

Craig

World Traveller
IMO it is poor professionally to be asked to be rested for a ODI series to go to a party. But hey it is his life and I hope he enjoys himself.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well im not sure about this whole thing with Yorke, considering that Yorke will be playing for T&T in World Qualifiers during the same time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
IMO it is poor professionally to be asked to be rested for a ODI series to go to a party. But hey it is his life and I hope he enjoys himself.
Assuming of course he did actually ask that and it's not a false rumour being sent out to discredit him...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, where is it said that he 'asked' to be rested? It seems like a selectors decision to me, from what Carew has said to the press...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Well as of now, he is rested for the ODI series ( PAK play ODI before Tests according to crickinfo scheduler)..... Test squad isnt announced yet...so i dunno if he is gonna be included for the test or not...we'll see.

Ofcourse...this isnt the first time he is doing it.....so no surprise...i remember the 'cricket is ruining my life so fawk the team and fawk playing england' incident.....or the 'we need more $$ or we not playing' incident while en route to RSA...not to mention, just a few weeks ago.
Of course Lara was the leader of that, and he was the only one who joined-in, wasn't he, and the group's demands were wholly unreasonable weren't they?
And of course you know his state of mind in April 2000, don't you? Because of course he was so much help when he decided to go eventually, wasn't he?

Don

State Vice-Captain
lara rested hahaha trinidad dialect:ah hear he eat some baad curry and get ah diarea,so he cyah play in d odi an dem.

cricket player

International Debutant
He rested even though considering that they have been in poor form losing to south africa all 5 odis and now playing againts another good team and the best player not playing,

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What makes you all so sure that it was 'his' decision? I did not hear either Carew or Lara say so. It is probably a selectors' decision and for all we know, Lara might have been carrying a niggle. I think I heard Tony Cozier refer to a painful wrist for Lara.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because people (such as those C_C referred to) need material for stories that'll sell and another Lara scandal, of course, fits the bill well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
CC says his source were reporters and I have known a few myself and they do make up stories... "I know player x well" (when he has only done a couple of interviews for you and won't even remember your last name)... A classic example would be a certain senior sports reporter for The Hindu who knows Anil Kumble well and has forever said nothing wrong about him, even at times when he played stupidly... (like that shot in the Natwest final).. Could be a similar case here. A certain reporter may have his own favourite player and may happen to dislike Lara and this is the perfect opportunity for him to put these rumours into circulation. And of course he has the classic excuse of "reliable source who is a player in the current side"... If what the reporter says is actually true, then why cannot he reveal his name and face the music?

Deja moo

International Captain
honestbharani said:
. And of course he has the classic excuse of "reliable source who is a player in the current side"... If what the reporter says is actually true, then why cannot he reveal his name and face the music?
Cause if he did, it can be guaranteed that particular reporter would no longer get juicy tidbits form that player in the future.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Deja moo said:
Cause if he did, it can be guaranteed that particular reporter would no longer get juicy tidbits form that player in the future.

I still don't see why someone should be afraid of telling the truth... I get your point, but I think it only shows that the credibility of the reporter is very very low.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is that really all that surprising?
In my experience far, far more reporters than not fit that bill - do-anything-for-a-story. And as such many tabloid-reporters rate low on my esteem list.