• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which side has the 2nd best bowling attack behind Australia

King_Ponting

International Regular
No one has thrown up the suggestion of sides such as Australia A and the like. Second behind Asutralia it would be hard to not put Australia A's line up righte up there equal or better than Englands. Boasting the likes of Brett Lee, Shaun Tait and Nathan Braken as the pacers and Stuey Macgill as the spinner thats a world class attack!!!!!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
King_Ponting said:
No one has thrown up the suggestion of sides such as Australia A and the like. Second behind Asutralia it would be hard to not put Australia A's line up righte up there equal or better than Englands. Boasting the likes of Brett Lee, Shaun Tait and Nathan Braken as the pacers and Stuey Macgill as the spinner thats a world class attack!!!!!
Nope... nowhere close!

tooextracool

International Coach
King_Ponting said:
good joke :D
you are of course joking right?

King_Ponting

International Regular
okay what are we talking Tests Onedayers or both?????? Cause one side could have a great run reducing bowling attack, hence be a good one day bowling attack and another could have a good test attack but a poor one day attack. Hence brett lee is a good one day bowler but an average test bowler.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Which side has the 2nd best bowling attack after Australia ??

Why, Australia of course !! :sleep:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
Throw Watson in and I think that attack would be about the middle of the pack in the world right now. Of course, give Tait a couple of years to mature and you could be looking at something close to the future Australian attack.

Anyway, I'd think that side would be behind England and a fully fit Pakistan and maybe South Africa too, but would give everyone else a fair go. The area where Australia's second XI is really obscenely good compared to the rest of the world is in batting...

A batting lineup like M. Hussey, Jaques, Hodge, Love, Bevan, Watson, Haddin (or any number of other variations on that) is certainly nothing to scoff at.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Throw Watson in and I think that attack would be about the middle of the pack in the world right now. Of course, give Tait a couple of years to mature and you could be looking at something close to the future Australian attack.

Anyway, I'd think that side would be behind England and a fully fit Pakistan and maybe South Africa too, but would give everyone else a fair go. The area where Australia's second XI is really obscenely good compared to the rest of the world is in batting...

A batting lineup like M. Hussey, Jaques, Hodge, Love, Bevan, Watson, Haddin (or any number of other variations on that) is certainly nothing to scoff at.
I agree with that completely.

But to even remotely suggest that the Tait, Lee, Bichel, MacGill and Bracken would even be close compared to Hoggard, Harmison, Flintoff, Giles and Jones is laughable!

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
It's definitely Pakistan..if akthar and sami are fully fit....with Rana and danish....man...thats a good enough bowling attack to trouble any team in the world....not fogetting the part time bowlers Afridi and malik....some teams dont have quality bowlers who are good as them even.. and England being the second best bowling side is really not true...come on... harmison does not perform well outside England and Giles is just a guy who bowls negatively and gets the odd wicket. So i dont see why England is classed as a great bowling side... i would rate...

1) Aus
2)Pak
3)SA
4)SL
5)Eng
6)Ind
7)WI

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
nookie_lk said:
It's definitely Pakistan..if akthar and sami are fully fit....with Rana and danish....man...thats a good enough bowling attack to trouble any team in the world....not fogetting the part time bowlers Afridi and malik....some teams dont have quality bowlers who are good as them even.. and England being the second best bowling side is really not true...come on... harmison does not perform well outside England and Giles is just a guy who bowls negatively and gets the odd wicket. So i dont see why England is classed as a great bowling side... i would rate...

1) Aus
2)Pak
3)SA
4)SL
5)Eng
6)Ind
7)WI
Are we talking ODIs here or Test cus Sami and Rana aren't good Test bowlers at all. A Pakistan side that had Akhtar, Gul, Shabbir and Danish would be up their with England, but not one with the other two. Even though Murali, Vaas and Malinga look a very attack on paper we need to see Dilhara, Zoysa or Nissanka play a season without getting injured before their rated higher. Also NZ with Bond would be infront of India and Windies IMO: Mine with all players fit:
1. Australia
2. Daylight
3= England, Pakistan
5. Aus A
6. South Africa
7. Sri Lanka
8. New Zealand
9. India
10. West Indies

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
i would say tests and ODI's...who says Sami is not a good test bowler ??? and Rana is still new and he has not played much test cricket for anyone to say hes not good. But he is definitely gonna be good in the near future... Danish is superb in tests and so is akthar.... comparing the other bowlers around the world i do not see any other bowlers who can be better than these guys...(exept Pollock, Vass, Murali, and the ausies)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
A Pakistan attack of Shoaib/Shabbir/Gul/Kaneria or something of the sort would be pretty good. The one at the moment with Rana and Sami in it though is very poor, and not even in the same league as England. I'm not convinced about Harmison yet, but Hoggard is a very good bowler, as is Flintoff, and Giles and Jones offer able support. That's a very solid bowling lineup, while the Pakistan one currently has two good bowlers and two rubbish ones.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
The area where Australia's second XI is really obscenely good compared to the rest of the world is in batting...

Assuming of course that they can transfer domestic form onto the higher stage - which is far from a guarantee.

King_Ponting

International Regular
hussey nd bevan are proven one day internationals and u only have to look at their record to see that. Micheal clarke has an average first class record yet he has had a relatively good run in test and matches with his batting. Because of Australias superior domestic competition it would be reasonable to suggest that most if not all of those batsman would be success's at international level

King_Ponting

International Regular
medioke record in tests although he has not been given the oppurtunity to redeem himself in recent times. u only have to look at martyn, langer and haydens early career records for test matches to see what an average star they had. They were dropped, then had the oppurtunity to redeem themselves and look where they are now!!! Bevan might have been much the same if given that oppurtunity

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
King_Ponting said:
medioke record in tests although he has not been given the oppurtunity to redeem himself in recent times. u only have to look at martyn, langer and haydens early career records for test matches to see what an average star they had. They were dropped, then had the oppurtunity to redeem themselves and look where they are now!!! Bevan might have been much the same if given that oppurtunity
But Bevan had weaknesses that were exploited that he never corrected.

King_Ponting

International Regular
yet domestic bowlers still werent able to focus on his weaknesses??? Last years performance with Tasmania was outstanding. Sorry but can u fill me in on what exactly bevans weaknesses are??

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe the fact that he been so much more success in domestic cricket then Test Cricket is more of a sign that the Australia domestic bowlers aren't that great. It could also explain why there are so many batsmen who are belived to be good enough to make any other side in the world.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
King_Ponting said:
yet domestic bowlers still werent able to focus on his weaknesses??? Last years performance with Tasmania was outstanding. Sorry but can u fill me in on what exactly bevans weaknesses are??
Her had galring weaknesses against accurate, short-pitched bowling.

Domestic bowlers were not able to exploit this weakness because they are not good enough... Test bowlers are obviously going to be better than domestic bowlers...