• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith vs Kirsten

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think all that highly of Smith, but I don't think he's complete rubbish either like some people here seem to, I more consider him talented but not completely proven yet. Kirsten was a very good, gritty player, and did very well despite his faults. I put him in a similar sort of category to Mark Taylor, as some who was far from flawless but has excellent mental toughness and had a good career regardless. A slightly better player than Taylor, though.

Certainly far more proven than Smith is right now, given that Smith hasn't faced Australia aside from his first test and as such hasn't faced a really excellent pace attack, which Kirsten did many times. If he runs into McGrath, Gillespie and Kasprowicz/Lee (not to mention Warne) at the end of this year and does well, maybe then a claim can be made that he is better than Kirsten.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
He hasn't faced the Aussies and I think we can only judge after that has happened.
He did, and rather ironically had a big cry afterwards about being sledged...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Certainly far more proven than Smith is right now, given that Smith hasn't faced Australia aside from his first test and as such hasn't faced a really excellent pace attack
But he's faced the next best thing in the England attack, and failed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
how in the world does someone whos average falls to miserable levels against swing bowlers suggest that he could negate the flaws in his technique?
Because so far it's only happened a handful of times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
absolute tripe, how many times do i have to say that a single inswinger is hardly ever going to get anyone with a weakness out to it? you have to be capable of putting it in the right place several times. seriously, thats like saying ponting is poor against spin, hence he must get out to the first turning ball he faces.
It is, and it's equally conceivable.
How many times do I have to say that a single or two or three inswingers can get a poor player of inswing out there and then? Plenty of times.
coincidence? how is it coincidence when you get out lbw to the same bowler 3 times in a series?
Because you can be out of form? A couple of days ago we had a match with 9 lbws - it happens sometimes.
Until it's happened a few times we can't say it means that much.
how is it coincidence that the bowlers who have caused him problems are all swing bowlers?
Because his weakest point is inswing - doesn't mean non-inswing bowlers haven't of times caused him problems - just not as much as inswing-bowlers have.
how is it coincidence that every single time hes faced a quality attack hes failed?
Because he's also failed against poor attacks?

Link

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
But he's faced the next best thing in the England attack, and failed.
you missed the 2003 series didnt you. that was away as well, on pitches he is not used to

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Because so far it's only happened a handful of times.
except the handful of times have happened everytime hes played a quality attack. hence we can easily say that upto this point in this career hes been incapable of negating the flaws in his technique.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
It is, and it's equally conceivable.
How many times do I have to say that a single or two or three inswingers can get a poor player of inswing out there and then? Plenty of times.
so ponting gets out on the third turning ball he faces on a turner everytime is it? it happens very rarely, more often it involves constant perseverance at the weak spot.

Richard said:
Because you can be out of form? A couple of days ago we had a match with 9 lbws - it happens sometimes.
Until it's happened a few times we can't say it means that much.
and all those lbws involved inswingers that had the batsman sticking his front foot far towards the off stump is it?
no its fairly obvious to anyone who watched that series that he was worked out.

Richard said:
Because his weakest point is inswing - doesn't mean non-inswing bowlers haven't of times caused him problems - just not as much as inswing-bowlers have.
your point being?

Richard said:
Because he's also failed against poor attacks?
how does this have even the slightest relevance?
hes failed against all the good pace attacks, whether or not hes failed against the poor ones is irrelevant.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Link said:
you missed the 2003 series didnt you. that was away as well, on pitches he is not used to
He had 2 games to get used to it when England served up buffet bowling.

Since then in 8 games his average is hovering about the 20 level I believe.

Link

State Vice-Captain
ok, so we bowled so badly that the man could do no less then score like 600 runs in two matches ok.
what about the ODI series didnt he get a couple of hundreds there. You did say he fails against the england attack, he didnt there

tooextracool

International Coach
Link said:
ok, so we bowled so badly that the man could do no less then score like 600 runs in two matches ok.
what about the ODI series didnt he get a couple of hundreds there. You did say he fails against the england attack, he didnt there
because we have such a fabulous ODI bowling attack isnt it?
collingwood and kabir ali 1st and 2nd change 8-)
and of course hoggard, who cant bowl to save his life in ODIs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Link said:
Nobody has mentioned ODI's at all.

Link

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Nobody has mentioned ODI's at all.
yeah until i did, we was talking about Smith's success against the english bowling attack. So that is relevant

Link

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
because we have such a fabulous ODI bowling attack isnt it?
collingwood and kabir ali 1st and 2nd change 8-)
and of course hoggard, who cant bowl to save his life in ODIs.
i really hate this viewpoint that so many people have taken. in that batsmen are somewhat given runs because of a oppositions bowling attack. I cant remember how many times ive heard Haydens 380 being dismissed because of that. Millions of batsmen have faced the zimbabweans before but he was the first and last to score 380 runs against them.
But anyway what more can Smith do than bat against the opponents. And scoring a couple of hundreds against them is hard to 'rubbish'

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Link said:
yeah until i did, we was talking about Smith's success against the english bowling attack. So that is relevant
Not really, because the whole issue of technique etc isn't anywhere near as relevant to ODI Cricket.

Link

State Vice-Captain
yes really, because we was talking about his success against england, not how batsmen change in ODI and Test cricket.
So if your talking about how smith has done against england, how can you dismiss the LAST matches he played against us and scored those hundreds which happend to be one day games

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It is a completely different sort of game - the whole approach to bowling is different, and you might have noticed the attack he faced was a lot different to the Test one (in that Harmison, Hoggard, Jones and Flintoff weren't there)