• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would you perfer bowling or batting?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Robertinho said:
I have hit a guy in the box once, it's very enjoyable.

But batting for sure.
hahaha, isn't it hilarious!

I seem to hit a lot of people in indoor around that region. I hit a guy in outdoor once and he just swore at me, smiled and kept standing - it was very disconcerting.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Bowling on a green deck in overcast conditions is remarkably fun, especially when the ball is swinging metres; the last time that happened I took 4-0 in eight balls. :p I tend to enjoy batting more in the nets and in informal games, but in terms of actual matches, I would much rather bowl.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Son Of Coco said:
hahaha, isn't it hilarious!

I seem to hit a lot of people in indoor around that region. I hit a guy in outdoor once and he just swore at me, smiled and kept standing - it was very disconcerting.
Hahah, it amazed me how LOUD it is!

I've done it a few times now that I think about it. Once was with a menacing swinging tennis ball - some guy who never plays cricket, I tell him I'll bowl really slow - whooosh. Bam. Bad move :D

Second time was on the same day! Bowling with a cricket ball to some guy - he gets over confident, leaves it - bam. Bad mistake buddy. :D

And you just feel so proud afterwards...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
During my playing days I prefered batting and then fielding. People dont realise what great fun fielding can be if you are good at it and that is one thing you can do by yourself by just working at it.

But on a heavy day, with the breeze coming in from wide third man towards mid wicket, it would be great to bowl my gentle in swingers :)

Swervy

International Captain
I used to be a bowler, but I cant do that so well now...and I actually get really nervous before I bowl now, and I dont find it that pleasureable anymore...I think its just a confidence thing, I have nightmares of bowling wide after wide after wide, and never finishing the over off

I love batting...the feel of the ball coming off the middle of the bat and flying over the boundary cannot be beaten.I love the feeling of asserting control over the opposition. I try to hit the first ball of most innings for 4.

I have a bit of a rep in our league for hitting the ball hard. Its a good feeling to see as I come out to bat, the opposition fielders moving out to the boundary....you see, I dont like fielders being close to me when i am batting,and if there is a close catcher when I come into bat, I actually try to hit the ball hard at him ( :D ) just so he gets the idea, and the skipper moves him away.

I used to hate fielding (I am not particularly quick on the ground), but now I have found two fielding areas I really enjoy....gully and close in on the leg side, and now I dive around like nobodies business, just daring the batsman to try and get the ball past me...and if a catch comes I dont have time to think about it(ie dont have time to **** myself), and I have pulled off some blinding catches over the last couple of years....

As I get older (and the inches add to my belly), I actually enjoy the game more than I did when I was a kid, when there seemed to be too much at stake, like selection to league rep games or whatever. Now I play in a crappy league and its just fun...great stuff

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Robertinho said:

I've done it a few times now that I think about it. Once was with a menacing swinging tennis ball - some guy who never plays cricket, I tell him I'll bowl really slow - whooosh. Bam. Bad move :D

Second time was on the same day! Bowling with a cricket ball to some guy - he gets over confident, leaves it - bam. Bad mistake buddy. :D

It makes quite a crack hey! :-O

As I said above, most of my hits have been indoor so it's not quite the same. On the other hand, in at least three of these occasions the batsman wasn't wearing a box .... muahahaha! :huh:

On one of these occasions my friend turned green, then next the guy was down for about 5 minutes and apparently got an ultrasound on his testicles later, and the third the guy had told me that he wasn't wearing a box, but I kind of forgot! haha They all wear boxes now at least, so pain has its lessons! :D

I've been hit myself by a spinner in 5th grade off an inside edge many years ago, I can still remember the pain even though the ball (cricket that is) was hardly moving.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
SirBloody Idiot said:
Bowling.

I'm not at the crease long enough to enjoy batting.
I feel your pain, that's exactly wots going on with me. Not good enough batsman any way. I enjoy nothing more than making a batsman play and miss. Also, i love playing for the seniors and making these grown up batsmen guess where the ball is going. [Usually followed by the question "did u see the last one"]

Love bowling

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
_Ed_ said:
I've never actually hit anyone even though I'm a pace bowler. I even apologise after bowling bouncers. Team-mates hassle me for that. Only time I injured a guy was when I bowled to him and he bottom-edged the ball on to his thigh.
Me too i almost always apologise for bowling bouncers. I have broken someones finger-nail with a beamer and temporarily but our best U-18 batsman out of action [for a few days] with a yorker that hit his ankle tho.

I get a much greater thrill from seeing the stumps cart-wheeling backwards than hurting the batsman.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Robertinho said:

Don't you love bowling at tail enders and giving them some of their own medicine. You see this guy running in and trying to kill your batsmen. Then you are running at him and before you even bowl, he starts walking backwards towards square-leg :D .

Then you bowl him out and he has that Harbajan Singh ["Damn, i was just getting in"] look on his face like as if he is any better a batsman than me. Love it

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
SJS said:
During my playing days I prefered batting and then fielding. People dont realise what great fun fielding can be if you are good at it and that is one thing you can do by yourself by just working at it.

But on a heavy day, with the breeze coming in from wide third man towards mid wicket, it would be great to bowl my gentle in swingers :)
I don't mind fielding, i am the unofficial Cover point fielder in every match i play. One time i had an inspired day in the field and i overheard the opposition captain saying "i didn't know they had Jonty Rhodes on their side". I was over flowing with confidence after that day :D

dro87

U19 12th Man
prefer batting if it's junior level... cos i score loads of runs... But with the 1st bowling... My spin gets loads of players out... (it's so slow they just misstime the shot :D )
I enjoy fielding close, slips or cover/point

Don

State Vice-Captain
bowling though i cant seem to bowl well outside of nets these days. and my batting is getting better.fielding is another joy,well ground fielding that is high catching is my downfall.fielding under the bat is fun

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SpeedKing said:
I don't mind fielding, i am the unofficial Cover point fielder in every match i play. One time i had an inspired day in the field and i overheard the opposition captain saying "i didn't know they had Jonty Rhodes on their side". I was over flowing with confidence after that day :D
I know the feeling. Its great. Most youngsters could do much much better at fielding if they just began enjoying it. And the beaauty is, you get to do it more often than anything else in cricket, so you can have great time since half the match (theoretically, you are active, fielding.

YES, cover point is an absoultely marvellous area to field. If you keep watching the batsman and expect every delivery to come to you and move in as the ball is delivered, you can anticipate what the batsman is going to do much earlier and that enables you to be on the move in the right direction even as the ball starts to being hit. This makes the REAL BIG diference between the good and the great fielders.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
SJS said:
I know the feeling. Its great. Most youngsters could do much much better at fielding if they just began enjoying it. And the beaauty is, you get to do it more often than anything else in cricket, so you can have great time since half the match (theoretically, you are active, fielding.

YES, cover point is an absoultely marvellous area to field. If you keep watching the batsman and expect every delivery to come to you and move in as the ball is delivered, you can anticipate what the batsman is going to do much earlier and that enables you to be on the move in the right direction even as the ball starts to being hit. This makes the REAL BIG diference between the good and the great fielders.
Every time i try to anticipate and move just before the ball is being hit, the batsman seems to miscue the ball thus, i run in the wrong direction. I tend to wait and then judge what to do after the ball has been hit. i can't seem to grasp the concept of fielding at 2nd or 3rd slip. The ball seems to fly through, got any more tips SJS

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SpeedKing said:
Every time i try to anticipate and move just before the ball is being hit, the batsman seems to miscue the ball thus, i run in the wrong direction. I tend to wait and then judge what to do after the ball has been hit. i can't seem to grasp the concept of fielding at 2nd or 3rd slip. The ball seems to fly through, got any more tips SJS
DONT RUN.

Move towards the batsman with the weight forward, on your toes as you may have seen of animals stalking their prey. Keep yourself low.

Do not run, just keep your eyes fixed on the batsman and convince yourself that he is going to hit it in your direction.

Its very similar to footwork while batting. If you think about your footwork you tend to become presumptuous and end up second guessing the bowler. Ideally you should just watch the ball from the moment it leaves the bowler's hands and the feet move,emt takes care of itself.

it is the same with fielding in the covers. If you are watching the batsman closely then the moment it is registered ,subconciously) in your head what the batsman is doing your body and feet will respond. Trying to second guess the batsman is putting yourself in a footbal goalkeeper's position when he is taking a penalty kick. Then he is giving himself only 50% chance if he tries to guess which way the oponent is going to kick.

You DONT have to do that.

Its a good idea to practice with the net opened opn the offside . It will sharpen your reflexes.

NEVER field without spikes. NEVER EVER.