• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 4th Test - England v India - Keep all Discussion Here Please!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
So, is Cork confirmed for the 4th test? Eddie, you must be very happy and England finally has their "all-rounder".

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
That would be a great all-round performance. Has he ever done that even at county level(this is a genuine question)?

[Edited on 9/4/02 by anilramavarma]

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's certainly never scored a ton at test level.

He's had a fifty and a tenfer twice this season in championship games, but as we all know, that's small potatoes.

I would far rather he was playing for Derbyshire in the current game against Gloucestershire (or Irani had not been released to play for Essex against Middlesex, preferably both) rather than 12th man for England because I am a selfish git.

I'm actually not interested in much cricket stuff today because of the crisis affecting Derby County Football Club.

(And India think they've got problems over some contracts affecting a group of players and some grotty ODI tournament in Sri Lanka - at least next week there will still be an India - there may not be a DCFC).

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
I am too lazy to go check cork's first class stats...but can you guys tell me his averages and stuff ?

Well letting go irani is not a bad thing for england and i reckon considering the choices cork is not bad.

But why not dawson..he did bowl well in india. And i really hope for englands sake they dont drop harmisson..atleast he has pace.

I am really hoping india put an end to this 16 yr old drought..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I hope I'm wrong, but Cork and Tudor are both good number 9 batsmen, not number 8s, and definitely not number 7s!

I'd have kept Irani at 7 and 4th seamer as he's in form, and a far better batsman than any of the others.

Also, could then have left out Tudor AND Caddick.

Perhaps they will play 6 batsmen plus Stewart.

Oh, and Dawson hasn't had a great lot of bowling under Boof this year.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marcus Trescothick has won his battle to be fit for the deciding Test against India at The Oval.

The Somerset left-hander, is fit again after recovering from a broken thumb, and is one of two changes to England's line-up.

Derbyshire captain Dominic Cork is England's other change to the side beaten at Headingley, replacing in the injured Andrew Flintoff.

India have made only one change, recalling wicketkeeper Ajay Ratra as a replacement for the injured Parthiv Patel

Source : Ananova

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
right now..tis standard stff...indian pie throwers try to bounce out trescothick.

I cant understand this..here is a batsman coming of a long lay off..instead of pitching it up and making him play at every ball...the two pace men decide to bowl short and wide at every instance..gawddd

India have already lost the momentum and initiative..and looking at the way marcus is playing..well..i can just hope now..

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Eng 152/1
Overs 39.5
RR 3.82

The good thing so far abt this innings has been the run rate. It was markedly poor when england visited pakistan last time around. They have improved that a lot over the last three tests.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
177/1
(50.0 ov)
R.R 3.54

Honestly Speaking Day 1 Goes to England Completely, i Dont know what India is trying to achieve ? Are they trying to Get their goal of winning a test match in 12 or 14 or whatever Years ? NO
Are they trying to prove they are a good test cricketting nation ? Umm No Not really Not when it comes to securing wins
Can Agarkar Bowl ? Even my cat knows the answer to this.... Agarkar 9 overs 45 or more runs , this guy cant bowl in test for ... They should have Given Yohannan a chance even thought he didnt look good in the warmups

So far i see a draw or a win to england , unless India can pull something out ... Quickly

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
you mean a test series.

You cant blame too much or expect too much from the bowlers here i guess, its going to be the batsmen anyway. Thats why it was important for india to bat first.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Yea but the previous test match was played on a batsmens paradise too , but there the whole team worked well in the bowling dept to do really well in bowling England out twice , so why cant it happen here ?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
the previous test was not played on a batsman's paradise....actually far from it.It was a seaming wicket with overcast conditions and had uneven bounce as well for Kumble to have a go.

I don't know about the wicket at the oval, but the honours of day one surely goes to England and by the end of the day it will be clear as to how big a hole India has dug for itself.Then again the onus would be on the batsman to dig in and save the day, unless the Indian bowlers come up with something miraculous.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
No miracles to be expected from this attack. England looks like heading for atleast a 500+ score, which basically reduces the options of the outcome to a draw or an English win.

Let's see what the batsmen can do to get away with a draw. This means the overseas drought for india continues.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Agarkar 15-1-72-0. Atleast now, they should chuck out that nincompoop and give a chance to someone else. Is the Indian team management brain-dead or something to persist with that guy?

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
First off congrats to england...professional show with a touch of flair. You guys can gloat over it...welldone

After Srikkanth , slater i was smitten with trescothick. Heproved again that his techinque is see ball hit ball...good show

vaughan good show. But i am also wondering if he is the "selected one" Usually in every tour the indian team makes a nobody a super star. But vaughan has performed like flower..

Agarkar: he is a prime example of why condoms should be used...well..yeah thats overboard criticism. But he has played all the tests..but not a single decent performance...just why he still plays is not clear to me.

The fact that bangar did well..makes it even worser.

Ganguly's captaincy sucked today..

Hope we come back with a draw...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
No gloating from me (those of you who know me know what I think about gloaters anyway) - the job's not a quarter done yet.

In an earlier match report (Trent Bridge), I suggested that his (Michael Vaughan's) 197 must rank as the finest innings he has ever played. Well, he surpassed it today if not in size (yet?) but in style and sheer class. I am not going to draw comparisons with any other player (pointless) but I will say this - he is still getting better.

I hope that he gets through the first hour tomorrow - we could witness something special.

However.....

I suggest that everyone reads the last line of 'Gone With the Wind.'

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Vaughan seems to be a great prospect for England. Let's wait till the Ashes to make a final statement though, because as you said, in the past, many mediocre players have used the even more mediocre Indian bowlers to fatten up their averages. If he tackles the Aussies well, he is the genuine article and if that is the case, England have a great opening pair in Tresc and Vaughan.