• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 4th Test - England v India - Keep all Discussion Here Please!

wahindiawah

Banned
Hopefully, India will win the series 2-1 :X

Ajit should be dropped and Tinu should be brought in.Like wise Ratra should come in for pathetic Patel.The team looks solid and is better placed for a win than England!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
So irani is in. I may be wrong...but he is a real mediocre plsyer with the bat as well as ball at this level..

Why cant the dumb team management pick harmison ? He was really getting better towards the end of the test.

Wahindiawah..after one dropped catch is patel pathetic? :rolleyes:...i guess cricket is not the sport for u.

This ind_ENg series seems to a comedy of errors with the team management of both teams bungling at every oppurtunity.

wahindiawah

Banned
Scorpio,
Why don't u stick to car racing than comming up with all this crap??

For ur kind info, Patel dropped two vital catches in the last test!!

Secondarily, Patel have FAILED with the bat, the major reason as to why he was preffered over Ratra was coz of Patel's ability with the bat!!!

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
I certainly agree he dropped two catches. But if you have a decent attention span u migt remember that he played a good part in saving the second test.(With the Bat i might add)..and has been praised by knowledgable critics that he has a good technique with bat and gloves..

The kid is just 17 yrs old...give him some time.
Oh and for ur info ratra is no grt shakes with the bat..atleast patel looks the part.

wahindiawah

Banned
Scorpio,

Patel scored 0 and 19 in the second test match, yeah man big deal. So Pundits praised him, i see, can u recall the WI series were Ratra scored a ton and every cricket Pundit was saying that India have found a perfect wk keeper batter! So much so for criket pundits.

I never said that Patel should be banned from cric, all i said was that he should be dropped from the FOURTH test match and the better man in Ratra should come in.
Also, i never said that Ratra is a great batter, but he has a ton in test match to his credit, AND he recently scored a hundred against an English county, so the man is in good touch!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Irani - hasn't played Tests since 99. Past form can't be taken into account that long ago.

Harmison's not picked because Tudor plays for Surrey.

Patel - they weren't vital catches. A vital catch is one that alters the course of a game. England got trashed anyway. He looks the part behind the stumps as well. Experience will only make him better.

wahindiawah - Did you watch the 2nd test? He may have only made 19* but he helped save it at the end. And tons against what is effectively English Counties' 2nd XIs count for little. Dropping and recalling doesn't help anything, ever. Give Patel a good long run and you'll see the results.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Neil: U really think irani is gonna make any difference? He is as good as robin singh. WHich in my book means bits and pieces cricketer.

At times i have been impressed with english team selection. But this is really not a good one. Just dont pick a allrounder coz u want one. Ramprakash or some other inform batsman would have been on.

What abt Dawson ? THought he is good. But dropping harmisson makes no sense.

But india is not better...persisting with agarkar is really not theway to go..

Oh and i guess wahindia's attention span is a little too small :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I didn't say he would make any difference - he has the chance to show what he can do and long-ago past performances shouldn't count against him.

Ramprakash is a choker. If you wanted an in-form batsman you pick Nick Knight who's averaging 90+ in the Championship. Now if he had done that for Surrey..

Dawson will more than likely tour Australia, but we shouldn't need two out-and-out spinners with Vaughan. Harmison must play ahead of Tudor.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
actully neil what you say makes sense...

Marc: I think ramps looks a compact player to me. But yeah he sure is a choker. But historically all out of form players and all mediocre players alwys make runs against india. Even crawley got one..

So irani might do well too

masterblaster

International Captain
Agreed, Parthiv Patel should play despite Ratra getting a hundred against Derbyshire. Patel is only 17 and can potentially be a great wicketkeeper/batsman. He can bat and keep quite well, Ive been impressed with the youngster, It takes some guts and courage to play with the big boys at only 17 years of age! I say stick with Patel, unless he has an injury. Nurse him and groom him into a fantastic player like we did with Sachin Tendulkar, sure he cant be like Sachin, but he could be a decent wicketkeeper/batsman.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Masterblaster is dead right IMO.

Ratra's ton against what amounted to pretty much Derbyshire 2nd XI can't really be read into much. Just look at the bowling... :P

tenchi

Banned
I believe that Derbyshire left out all of their 'big guns' (do they have any?)

Sorry, Leicestershire fan.....

for the game against India, but Gunter, Aldred and Kerr are hardly Dean, Ali and Cork.

A friend saw part of the game at Derby and he thought that Ratra's knock was quite tedious compared to that of Sehwag in the second innings. He also suggested that Yohannan ought to not 'give up his day job' as he was very ordinary indeed.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
I think youhannan is quite good..atleast from wht i have seen.

Could be that he is very demoralized. If thts the case..bad for india..and poor performance by the Team management.

for the hundredth time...fire agarkar

wahindiawah

Banned
"Patel - they weren't vital catches. A vital catch is one that alters the course of a game. England got trashed anyway. He looks the part behind the stumps as well. Experience will only make him better."

Yeah England got thrashed BUT had they escaped with a draw those catches would have cost a lot, how many times we have seen it.When a team wins a match, misfielding becomes a no topic BUT when u lose one everyone cries over the missed chances!

Ratra have a ton at test level, his recent ton against a county is just another good performance, so u point is baseless.
Yeah , Patel will get better with experiance therefore he should be either the second choice keeper or be played in the A team.Ratra is the best choice right now!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Ratra's ton came on a sleeper of a track in the Windies. Of course, a ton is a ton at test level, but before and after that, he hasn't shown any resolve whatsoever at the crease(His century against a second string Derbyshire attack shouldn't be looked into too much). Also, his keeping in the 1st test was below par. Of course, he should be given more chances at test level(he is 10 times better than Dasgupta), but Patel is a definite long-term hope for India as a quality keeper and a reliable lower order batsman and should be nurtured carefully.

[Edited on 9/3/02 by anilramavarma]

masterblaster

International Captain
I disagree with WahIndiaWah, Ratra is a good keeper but average batsman. Patel is good at both. He is a natural strokemaker also. WahIndiaWah, cmon mate, if your 17 or if you were 17, I doubt you be as good as Patel is to play International Cricket with the Big Guns. Patel is an outstanding prospect, thats why he is playing the game at 17. So give the young gutsy kid some congratulations. He has been India's savior at Trent Bridge along with Sachin, Dravid and Ganguly. Give him time, he can play for another 15-20 years. If Patel finishes up with a career batting average of 35+ when he retires, Ill be damn happy! Ratra is more of a mid 20's average player.

PATEL, PATEL, PATEL!!!!!!
OI, OI, OI!!!!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
No place for Irani....

Ronnie Irani was released from the test squad this morning and is currently playing for Essex against Middlesex.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
So, England has decided to play without an "all-rounder". I don't think they will lose anything by not playing him.