• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World wicket keepers, your rankings.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Gilchrist (easily the best batsman and keeper for mine)
Sangakkara (his batting gets him up)
McCullum (keeping-wise I think Boucher and him are equal)
Boucher (batting-wise, a little worse than McCullum)
Taibu (very, very good keeper, decent bat)
Mashud (very, very, very good keeper. Impressed me when he went to Australia, and has impressed me since)
Jones (solid batting, rather poor keeping)
Akmal (does some special things, stuffs up some easier ones)
Karthik (good batting, rather average keeping)
Browne (poor Browne!)

C_C

International Captain
Boucher is NOT a better keeper than McCallum, Mashud, Akmal or Karthik.....
Boucher used to be excellent against pace and shyte against spin...now he is good against pace and shyte against spin.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
C_C said:
Boucher is NOT a better keeper than McCallum, Mashud, Akmal or Karthik.....
Boucher used to be excellent against pace and shyte against spin...now he is good against pace and shyte against spin.
Yeah, but all these rankings take batting into account. :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Overall
- Gilchrist
- Sangakkara
- McCullum
- Akmal
- Boucher
- Jones
- Taibu
- Karthik
- Mashud
- Browne

Keeping
- Akmal
- Gilchrist
- Boucher
- Taibu
- Mashud
- Karthik
- Sangakkara
- Browne
- Jones

Batting
- Gilchrist
- Sangakkara
- McCullum
- Jones
- Akmal
- Boucher
- Karthik
- Taibu
- Browne
- Mashud

That roughy would my WK ratings

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Gilchrist
2. Sangakkara
3. Boucher
4. Taibu
5. McCullum
6. Kamran
7. Jones
8. Mashud
9. Karthik
10. Browne

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed.

I'm surprised at TC.
Total rubbish. Unless you've got something better than my country of origin being the same as Gilchrist as a reason for saying I'm biased, you'll excuse me if I refer to your query to the complaints department in my toilet where you'll be able to write your complaint on the paper provided.

I've explained my reasons clear as day. Disagree with them, disregard them, say they're stupid, question them, whatever but don't accuse me of bias when you've got nothing (not previous behaviour, not any post in this thread, NOTHING) to back it up. Bias infers lack of reasoning or thought and it's pretty clear I'm guilty of neither on this one if you read my post a little above.

The Daddy

Cricket Spectator
sledger said:
what i am proposing is for everyone to list all the wicket keepers from all the test nations in order of how you view their talent. The ordering of the list should be based on a combination of their batting and keeping and a conclusion is to be made on how you rate them on a combination of these attributes.
please refrain from either just rating keepers on batting or keeping alone as that would just confuse matters. another rule is that all the keepers on the list must be selected in the current test sides, so there will be no chris reads or dhonis please.

my list.
1) Gilchrist (australia)
2) Sangakarra (sri lanka)
3) Taibu (zimbabwe)
4) Mcullum (new zealand)
5) Boucher (south africa)
6) Jones (england)
7) Akmal (pakistan)
8) Karthik (india)
9) Browne (west indies)
10) (bangladesh :p dont know who their keeper is, apologies)
Jones shouldn't be in the list, Chris Read is a far better keeper.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The Daddy said:
Batting is not as important as dropping Punter or Gilly!!!!
Well the thing is that Read could also drop those two but he can't make it up to an extent with the bat. Bring Read in would change the England side from being a really good batting line up to be a average batting line up. Anyway it seem that Matt Prior has jumped infront of him anyway.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
So beckons the age-old question: Keeping ability batting in a 'keeper?
The balance of the side it what influences those decision, if you have seven batsmen then you can play a keep who isn't up Test Standard as a batsmen. If England had a bowler who could consistantly bat at seven then they could afford to play Read.

redbaron

Cricket Spectator
Akmal is by far the best keeper around these days (keeping wise). But the whole packagage definitely goes to gilchrist and sangakarra. Akmal is excellent against spin and top quality against pace aswell. he keeps agianst danish, and akhtar which is not easy, but he does with visual ease. i reckon hes the best keeper around for years to come.(keeping skill wise)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
I think Flintoff would fit that bill.
Yeah but that would mean dropping a bowler and adding an extra batsmen to keep the side balanced. I think the current England bowlers are bowling well enough to keep their spots. Also with only 4 bowlers they may struggle to knock over Australia.

The Daddy

Cricket Spectator
chaminda_00 said:
Well the thing is that Read could also drop those two but he can't make it up to an extent with the bat. Bring Read in would change the England side from being a really good batting line up to be a average batting line up. Anyway it seem that Matt Prior has jumped infront of him anyway.

Am I missing something here? I though the thread was about keeping wicket, batting don't come into it.

If you're talking about the best England keeper/batsman then you have to consider Tim Ambrose and the young lad at Essex (forgotten his name, could be Foster?). Granted, Matt Prior is the real deal too.

I wouldn't pick Jones simply because he is not a good enough keeper and to win anything agaist the Ozzies you can't afford to drop catches.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The Daddy said:
Am I missing something here? I though the thread was about keeping wicket, batting don't come into it.

If you're talking about the best England keeper/batsman then you have to consider Tim Ambrose and the young lad at Essex (forgotten his name, could be Foster?). Granted, Matt Prior is the real deal too.

I wouldn't pick Jones simply because he is not a good enough keeper and to win anything agaist the Ozzies you can't afford to drop catches.
The thread about wicket keeping not just keeping wicket.

I wondering if you say the same thing if Jones scored a hundred aganist Australia. Batting well in FC matches is a lot different to batting well in Test and Foster the last time he played Test Cricket didn't look up it, better then Read, but didn't look up to test cricket.

The Daddy

Cricket Spectator
chaminda_00 said:
The thread about wicket keeping not just keeping wicket.

I wondering if you say the same thing if Jones scored a hundred aganist Australia. Batting well in FC matches is a lot different to batting well in Test and Foster the last time he played Test Cricket didn't look up it, better then Read, but didn't look up to test cricket.
Jones is definitely the best batsmen out of the lot of them, but he is also the worst keeper. It's a difficult choice, one which I wouldn't like to make. :)