• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

congrats to marvan attapattu

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
SYDNEY (Reuters) - Sri Lanka captain Marvan Atapattu posted a century in the opening test against New Zealand in Napier to become just the fourth player to score hundreds against all nine test opponents.

Atapattu made 127 on Wednesday while his team mate Mahela Jayawardene blazed to an unbeaten 118 to help Sri Lanka reach 351 for three wickets when bad light ended play early on the third day at McLean Park.

The tourists were still 210 behind New Zealand's massive first innings total of 561 but with only two days remaining on a placid pitch that offers little encouragement to the bowlers, a draw is already looming as the most likely outcome.

Sri Lanka began the day 48 without loss and suffered an early setback when New Zealand paceman Chris Martin removed Sanath Jayasuriya and Kumar Sangakkara before lunch.

Martin dismissed opener Jayasuriya two runs short of a half-century when he trapped him leg before wicket with the total on 95 then added the scalp of Sangakkara (5) with the first ball of his next over when the Sri Lankan wicketkeeper played on.

Martin's double-strike brought Atapattu and Jayawardene together and the pair quickly set about balancing the ledger with a partnership of 184, setting a new Sri Lankan record for the third wicket against New Zealand.

Atapattu had crawled to his half-century in 119 deliveries but accelerated after lunch, reaching his hundred off 196 balls in 255 minutes when he pulled Kyle Mills to the rope for his 17th boundary.

Atapattu's century was his 16th in tests and his first against New Zealand. He joined South African Gary Kirsten, Australian Steve Waugh and Indian Sachin Tendulkar as the only players to reach three figures against nine different test opponents.

Atapattu scored another three runs after tea to become just the fourth Sri Lankan to reach 5,000 test runs but was caught by New Zealand skipper Stephen Fleming off the bowling of Nathan Astle as soon as he reached the milestone.

Jayawardene made a flying start to his innings, reaching his half-century at almost a run ball then went on to register his 13th test hundred from 157 deliveries and survive the day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

congrats to marvan this is a guy whose 1st 6 test inns where - 0,0,0,1,0,0

to score a test ton v each cricketing nation is a great achievement!

a massive zebra

International Captain
Yeah congratulations to the upgraded Matthew Sinclair, a very fine achievement. His average went over 40 with this innings as well.

Last edited:

PAKMAN

State 12th Man
one reason ofhis success is that even when he failed they didnt throw him out like pakistan does to their players they kept their faith in him and he paid off,mayb pakistan shud stick with salman butt give him confidence that we wount sack you and hel come out good aswell

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Not trying to prove a point here, just an interesting stat:

Atapattu's average in innings' over 100: 215.33
Atapattu's average in innings' under 100: 21.57
Difference: 189.76

Must surely be one of the greatest disparities, if not the greatest.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:

Off the top of my head, I would say it is the greatest. I believe the only other batsman to average over 200 in century innings is Bradman (who had 29 test centuries and an astonishing 12 of them passed 200, along with two triples and a 299), and Bradman's average under 100 was a fair bit above 21, I'd guess. Amiss is another guy who had either big hundreds or failures, but I'd say Atapattu's gap is probably bigger.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
Off the top of my head, I would say it is the greatest. I believe the only other batsman to average over 200 in century innings is Bradman (who had 29 test centuries and an astonishing 12 of them passed 200, along with two triples and a 299), and Bradman's average under 100 was a fair bit above 21, I'd guess. Amiss is another guy who had either big hundreds or failures, but I'd say Atapattu's gap is probably bigger.
Yeah, that was my initial feeling as well. Graeme Smith wasn't too far off though: 200.57 vs 30.74, difference of 169.83. Actually, I think i've found the winner: Tip Foster, 287 v 26.25, difference of 260.75. :p Atapattu probably has the highest difference out of those with a reasonable amount of tons though.

deeps

International 12th Man
hmm i think ganguly's might be very differnt too..how do you work that otU?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
deeps said:
hmm i think ganguly's might be very differnt too..how do you work that otU?
Just do an advanced filter search on statsguru, and use the "runs from x to y" in the batting filter section. Incidentally, for Ganguly:

Average in innings >100: 158.88
Average in innings <100: 31.41
Difference: 127.47

Not that much of a difference because he doesn't have many really big hundreds like Smith and Atapattu.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Adamc said:

What about 1st chance averages in matches when he gets 100? ;)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some others:

Javed Miandad
Average over 100: 238.93
Average under 100: 34.30
Difference: 204.63

George Headley
Average over 100: 212.00
Average under 100: 24.34
Difference: 187.66

Garfield Sobers
Average over 100: 230.47
Average under 100: 33.72
Difference: 196.75

Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Average over 100: 252.83
Average under 100: 34.93
Difference: 217.90

...and of course...

Ridley Jacobs
Average over 100: 338.00
Average under 100: 24.87
Difference: 313.13

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
His 1st 6 innings in test cricket

ha ha ha who would have picked he would get a century vs every test nation after that

Kumar_42

Cricket Spectator
Well deserved Marvan :) . What a terrific result after such a rocky start! Full credit to the selectors for persevering with him all these years.

btw i'm surprised Brian Lara isn't on that list

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Kumar_42 said:
Well deserved Marvan :) . What a terrific result after such a rocky start! Full credit to the selectors for persevering with him all these years.

btw i'm surprised Brian Lara isn't on that list
I don't think he lowered himself to score a hundred aganist Bangladesh, he probably felt sorry for them when Sarwan was 200 odd.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Lara is yet to score a test match hundred against Pakistan. I may be wrong.

Congrats to Marvan, though. He may not be a matchwinner but he is reasonably consistent and looks extremely good when he is playing well. Of course, for Sri Lanka's sake, it would be great if he could be more consistent. And he is a good captain, I think. Rather under rated as a captain, IMHO.

Kumar_42

Cricket Spectator
honestbharani said:
...Of course, for Sri Lanka's sake, it would be great if he could be more consistent....

Yep :) . It certainly would be...you've hit the nail on the head there IMHO

Deja moo

International Captain
Congratulations to Marvan Atapattu. And congratulations to the Sri Lankan selectors of the time too for persisting with him after the horror start to his career.