Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Australia..The greatest sporting team to visit New Zealand???

Australia..The greatest sporting team to visit New Zealand???

Sports talkback host Murray Deaker raised this question recently on his TV show as to whether this Aussie cricket team was the greatest sporting team to come to our shores.
    Intially i thought this was an overeaction to the hiding NZ got in the series. I then started thinking about a better sporting side to visit NZ. I was thinking of Rugby teams (lions, wales in the 70s ), great aussie League sides of the 80s and 90s, the odd soccer team and other cricket teams.

I couldn't really think of a better team that has come to NZ.

Any thoughts ??

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Rugby and particulary League dont really rate in my book ....not global enough. I'll ignore great Australian netball teams for the same reason

The great 80's WI side toured NZ...they were better than the current Aussie side imo

Heaps of really good football teams have been to NZ....none quite that dominated the world stage the way Aus cricket do atm , but we all know how much harder that is to acheive. Hell the self proclaimed "greatest sporting nation" .............with all their ex-pat wogs ..............cannot even make the Football World Cup finals without arsing over to "Iran" (or whoever)

Some great golfers came to Gulf Harbour for the World Cup? Technically they are teams

There must have been some all conquering Hockey team here? Devlin might be the consumate train spotter for rugby but he knows jack about many sports

Still its not a bad call by Devs really..............miss him SO much on Radio Sport in the mornings

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro
    Rugby and particulary League dont really rate in my book ....not global enough. I'll ignore great Australian netball teams for the same reason

The great 80's WI side toured NZ...they were better than the current Aussie side imo

Heaps of really good football teams have been to NZ....none quite that dominated the world stage the way Aus cricket do atm , but we all know how much harder that is to acheive. Hell the self proclaimed "greatest sporting nation" .............with all their ex-pat wogs ..............cannot even make the Football World Cup finals without arsing over to "Iran" (or whoever)

Some great golfers came to Gulf Harbour for the World Cup? Technically they are teams

There must have been some all conquering Hockey team here? Devlin might be the consumate train spotter for rugby but he knows jack about many sports

Still its not a bad call by Devs really..............miss him SO much on Radio Sport in the mornings

Agreed. I much preferred Devlin to that wet blanket Tony Viech. But it was Deaker that made the above observation, not Devlin

School Boy/Girl Captain
    OH!

sorry lol Devlin on the brain cos we discussing him vs Veitch here at work just this morning

Deaker is an idiot, almost as bad as the fool Doug Golighty with his arrogant drawlings, so yeah that sounds more like some preposterous call he would make

Banned
    Easily the best sports team to come to nz.
    Maestro, Rugby is more global than cricket so I don't know what you are tlaking about.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    yeah i would say they are probably the best, in which case England will be in for the same treatment
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by psxpro
    Easily the best sports team to come to nz.
    Maestro, Rugby is more global than cricket so I don't know what you are tlaking about.

in terms of numbers? india?

Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by age_master
    in terms of numbers? india?

Its not just numbers too. Any country could put up a cricket team. Its just that Cricket sets higher standards than most other sports for newer teams to make the highest grade IMO ( Zim and Ban notwithstanding).
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    psxpro

Dont be fooled just cos "Kenya" has a rugby team

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    in my life time definately. Australia's cricket side is possibly the best sporting side on the planet out've any sport at the moment. America have gone down hill in basketball... I'd be interested to hear any other countries which dominate a sport so much... Maybe the Australian rugby league team.
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

Banned
    psxpro

Dont be fooled just cos "Kenya" has a rugby team

no I'm not going by that. Global doesn't mean numbers, it means more countries. Obiously cricket has more numbers becasue of one or two countires with huge population.

But overall rugby is more popular and well known world wide and generally more competitive.

Na the Aussie league team is pretty average these days.. in the mid to late nintees they were formidable but these days they aren't that dominent

They still win the maourity of their matches but they can be beaten

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze
    Na the Aussie league team is pretty average these days.. in the mid to late nintees they were formidable but these days they aren't that dominent

They still win the maourity of their matches but they can be beaten

I agree about the aus league team. NZ drew 17/17 with them in NZ. and beat them in nz before that. Its just that the comps took all our players or we are a lot closer than what people think in league.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    You might be right..I cant be bothered lookig for stats tho

I guess my interpretation of it is slanted cos Icompare rugby to football (no contest) and cricket to baseball/softball

Banned
    You might be right..I cant be bothered lookig for stats tho

I guess my interpretation of it is slanted cos Icompare rugby to football (no contest) and cricket to baseball/softball

Soccer is a crap comparision becasue lots of people are crap and they like soccer.
    but rugby i think overall is more populart han cricket

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information